Home Depot / home depot racial and ill treatment

South Portland, ME, United States Review updated:

We made an online purchase for pick up in store at the end of April, when we picked up the items several of them contained no boxes, which at first was not a problem as they were all items that needed to be used anyway. One particular item was a circuit breaker for a new sub panel we were installing in our newly purchased house. About a week later my husband (along with our electrician) returned to Home Depot because the circuit breaker we ordered online was not the type we needed. My husband and electrician went directly to the electrical aisle in order to compare the item we purchased with the new circuit breaker they needed to replace it with. My husband asked an employee for assistance in finding the breaker they needed. The employee then took the breaker directly off the shelf and told my husband he could collect it at the Customer Service desk. Both my husband and electrician were shocked and wondered why the employee behaved this way and asked why. The employee did not answer and simply told them to collect it at the customer service desk. My husband abided as he had a return anyway and upon arriving at the service desk the electrical employee argued with the CS rep to not allow my husband to return the breaker as it "had been used". Both my electrician and my husband let the CS rep know that the breaker has NEVER been installed let alone used and was out of the box when we picked up the items from our online order. Eventually the CS rep let the electrical employee know that she could handle it and completed the return and purchase of the new breaker. This in itself would not be a huge deal though we did want to let the corporate Home Depot know that the service we received was sub par.

Corporate Home Depot then informed the South Portland location of Home Depot of the incident and the assistant manager explained to my husband that the electrical employee walked that item to the service desk because it is policy to occasionally walk items of such value to the desk. I then followed up with the contact at Home Depot Corporate to find out whether or not this was true. I forwarded my receipt to her and the Corporate employee let me know that this is NOT the policy for that item and she wasn't sure why the Assistant Manager would tell me that. She assured me that the situation would be handled at the store both with the employee and the assistant manager and that they would be looking to pull camera footage from the time of the incident in order to investigate and that they were taking the matter very seriously. We then received a phone call from a claims examiner for Home Depot who indicated that the management team did not feel that pulling camera footage was necessary as the electrical employee indicated to them that the reason he walked the item to the desk was to assist my husband in getting a SKU number for the item he was returning. (this was also a lie) she then let us know that the store was sorry for what happened but didn't feel it required investigating and offered us a $100 gift card. My husband declined.

Just this past Friday a separate (yet we believe related) incident occurred. A deal was advertised on the Home Depot website for a 12 pack of garage door lubricant for $4.27. My husband purchased the item online for in store pick up and received a receipt indicating the same. When he arrived on Friday evening to pick up his order he was given a single can rather than a 12 pack. He politely let the CS rep know that he had ordered a 12 pack and not a single can. The CS rep asked to see his receipt and my husband obliged. She agreed that the receipt showed a 12 pack and called her manager to rectify. The manager indicated to my husband that there had been an error on IT's part and that this price was a mistake. My husband let him know he understood but that was Home Depot's error and they should honor it as it was not our mistake that they advertised something incorrectly and did not notify us of the mistake before we arrived to pick up the item. The CS Rep also said to the manager "but he has a receipt for a 12 pack", the manager ignored her. The manager then picked up the slip from the desk (which had my husband's name on it) and his attitude instantly changed. He immediately said to my husband "how can you expect to purchase a 12 pack of these for the price of one can?" my husband said that stores do deals all the time and you can get items for 90% off on occasion, perhaps Home Depot was liquidating that brand, there was no way for him to know. The manager then told him "I will give it to you this time but don't ever come back to this store again". This was the store manager, we believe he was dealing with the issue with the electrical employee from the previous incident and wanted to take revenge on my husband for the issues he had been dealing with recently.

We ended up leaving without the items we picked up and without processing a return for it either. We decided to contact the online support to find out whether or not the online support team would do the right thing and honor the purchase we made. I explained the situation to the rep and let her know that all we want is to be able to pick up the item we paid for and was reflected on our receipt. She asked me how I got the impression that the price was for a 12 pack. I had already informed her that my receipt said a 12 pack and that I could indeed read. I asked if I could forward her a copy of my receipt for her review. She gave me her email address and I forwarded her the receipt. I then explained that this was advertised on several deal websites (DealNews FatWallet etc) and was reflected on the Home Depot site. Her response was that there was no way that Home Depot could be responsible for a “third party’s typographical error”. I told her again that this was not a third party error, this was reflected on the Home Depot website AND on our HOME DEPOT receipt. She declined to answer.

Upon further research it appeared that Home Depot was aware of the issue and online customer service reps were instructing local stores to honor the misprinted price for those who purchased the item. It would appear that the store manager at the South Portland location did not do as he was told.

Gb
Jun 09, 2014

Comments

• Ar
      Apr 12, 2019

This place is not professional what so ever, beginning with Home Depot through the whole process, unprofessional Staff, especially the Managers, the GM in the Venice office, will never take your calls, never, nor the Regional Manager. The installer we had was drunk and High, at 10 in the morning, and installed the wrong cpt??? Well it just goes to show the Management does not know how to manage.