Home Depot / doesn't honor extended warranty on faulty water heater

In January of '06 we purchased a GE water heater with installation and lifetime labor extended warranty from Home Depot. 2 1/2 year later, this past Monday night, the tank developed a leak and flooded our basement. For the past 3 days I have been on the phone and in person with the store, Executive customer relations, GE and the Warranty department, and they have still failed to replace our water heater under the warranty. I don't think I have EVER come across a more incompetent bunch of ###s in my life. I have been given nothing but the runaround and excuses. The latest was the store manager, David Moriarty, who told me yesterday, when he said that the installer was coming, he got it confused with another customer by mistake. UNBELIEVABLY. We haven't been able to take a shower, or wash dishes or clothes for over 3 days now, with little end in sight. NEVER buy a major appliance from these incompetent thieves. And DEFINATELY do NOT but an extended warranty. It's as worthless as they are.

Va

Comments

6th of Feb, 2009

Dear Home Depot Customer,

On behalf of The Home Depot I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced in regard to your purchase of a Water Heater and Extended Service Plan with our company

Please know that it is The Home Depot’s goal to satisfy all of our customers with our products and services. We look forward to assisting you and your family with all of your future home improvement needs. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Phone: (770) 433-8211 or 800-654-0688 x84861
    Fax: (770) 384-5038

• Be
      20th of Sep, 2018

@Christian Sagna Don't just apologize correct the problem.

• Ab
      20th of Aug, 2010

I am having a similar problem with getting my hot water heater replaced. I purchased the 12 year
    GE Heater in 2005 with extended life-time warranty for parts and labor by Home Depot. It was leaking, and Home Depot sent out a technician that said the heater was defective and needed to be replaced. He spent an hour of his time explaining the problem to Warranty dept.. I have continued to talk with various people concerning this and am amazed at the incompetent service I received. I have been without a water heater for 3 days and expect guests tomorrow. I have spent hours desling with this and will just go ahead and invest my own $1000 to get a replacement. My attorney husband will handle the Consumer Fraud complaint and other legal action.

• Be
      19th of Sep, 2018

My hot water heater failed on Monday September 17, 2018. I purchased my hot water heater from Home Depot in December of 2010. I also purchased a lifetime warranty for the Water Heater that included the labor to remove and reinstall the unit. Immediately after seeing the product had failed and seeing water all over the floor of my garage, I went to Home Depot and presented all receipts pertinent to the purchase of hot water heater and warranty.
    I presented the receipts to the customer service representative, and was told I had to contact the warranty department.
    I did as she requested, spoke to an Assurant representative and was told they had no record of my purchases. I then emailed all the receipts to receipts@assurant.com. The next day I received an email stating they had received what they needed but it would take 3 business days to get back to me as to what service provider would examine and replace my water heater. I have also spoken with representatives from Assurant and Home Depot.

Delisa from Assurant has told me she would do her best to have my water heater replaced in a timely manner, but she that it could take up to 2 weeks. Being frustrated with that response I immediately contacted the corporate office of Home Depot and spoke to a customer relations representative. I asked why their response to warranty work was so inadequate and slow. I also advised the representative that I could go to Home Depot today and purchase and new Hot water heater and have it installed today. I then asked her to contact the Assurant the warranty servicer and ask if I could go today purchase and new water heater and then have Home Depot bill Assurant for the New water heater and its installation.
    Today is Wednesday and I'm still waiting for a response. My family has been without hot water for three days.

Getting Home Depot to responsibly honor their lifetime warranty has been a Nightmare. Home Depot's treatment of this customer and honoring its warranty has been a horrible experience. Its been three days now and Home Depot hasn't done anything to honor its warranty, save apologize for how long its taking. Its obvious that Home Depot is doing a miserable job of keeping its word. If you're considering making a purchase from Home Depot and purchasing an extended warranty, think twice. The experience I am having is not the exception. It has become far to common for Home Depot.