Home Depot / racial profiling and discrimination while shopping at home depot

1 Bowie, MD, United States Review updated:
Phone: 770-433-8211

December 15, 2010
Hello everyone,

It’s me Mike Lewis again and a year ago I came to you telling you to not shop at Loews Home Improvement because they discriminate against minorities, I told you to support your local mom and pop shops and Home Depot. Sadly to say, that on November 21, 2010 I was at the Home Depot in Bowie MD making a purchase at the self check out that for some reason was not working, so the cashier next to the self check out said she would take me. My purchase was $54 and after the cashier rang me up she asked me if it was cash or credit and I said credit. The cashier then said she needed to see my ID and I asked why? She said the store policy was that any credit card purchases required ID because she said they have had a lot of people using credit cards that were not authorized and she said it came from the store manager that told her to do this check. Once again, I told her that if it’s a policy it needs to be written down and displayed like it is in the liquor stores. I refused to show my ID but she saw something in my wallet with my name on it and let the transaction go through. She assured me that she would talk to her store manager and let the manager know that it needs to be a written policy for all to see.
When I called the store the next day and talked to the store manager and the District manager, I was told it was NOT a policy to check ID for credit card purchases unless the credit card is not signed. After a weeks of dealing with this issue, I was told by the Home depot district manager and corporate headquarters that the reason I was questioned for an ID was because I was purchasing paint. However this excuse that Home Depot is trying to tell me was NOT what I was told by the cashier at the time I was harassed and humiliated for my ID because she thought I might be a thief, NOT because I was buying paint!
I let Home Depot know that I was harassed, humiliated and discriminated not because I was buying paint, but because I was a black male. What I wanted from Home Depot was a written apology and to discuss this matter with Frank Blake the CEO of Home Depot to let him know that his employees need to be trained to NOT pick and choose who they will discriminate against in his stores. When I sent all this information to Frank’s office, they had only African American employees to call me and try to make excuses for what happened and I was told that Frank would never talk to me concerning this matter, even though it was a matter of discrimination he was too important and busy to concern himself with this matter.
What I want you to do is to contact Frank and let him know that it is 2010 and we will NOT put up with this type of treatment in his or anyone else’s store. Discrimination must be wiped out and Home Depot and Frank Blake the CEO of Home Depot needs to be held accountable because our African American money is as green as anyone else’s. I am going to put this incident on boycott.com, consumerist.com and pissedoffconsumer.com to let others know about the racial profiling and discrimination while shopping at Home Depot.
Here is Frank Blake the CEO of Home Depots telephone number [protected] ext 15659 and
you can also email Frank_Blake@homedepot.com to let him know we will not stand for discrimination of any form.

Sincerely,
Mike Lewis

Home Depot

Comments

• Gl
      7th of Jun, 2008

Bought solar lights today and the batteries did not work. Beware, terrible quality products!

• Lk

p;lkdf;ldfsk

• Bo
      14th of Sep, 2009

Yeah.. I had the same problem there.

• Do
      14th of Sep, 2009

Same here; but it cleared up once I left the glue aisle, and got out into the fresh air...

21st of Nov, 2009

Don't shop at Home Depot at all.

• Po
      17th of Dec, 2010

"Once again, I told her that if it’s a policy it needs to be written down and displayed" This actually isn't true. If that truly was a policy (regardless of if it wasn't), you are allowed to leave the store at any time if you don't like it.

So maybe the girl was wrong? Maybe she was new, or the manager was new and was trying to enforce something different? Maybe the reason for the policy wasn't explained to the employees? There are many other factors here that can explain the situation without any racism. I think you're over-reacting a bit.

• Po
      18th of Dec, 2010

How do you know that their policy isn't to check every fourth or fifth customer's card?

18th of Dec, 2010

this guy pulls the race card. don't you feel safer knowing that home depot is looking out for your best interests by asking for your ID? maybe one day when you are the victim of identity theft you will then appreciate the efforts home depot makes to combat identity theft. only weak-minded people would misunderstand why they are being asked for ID. maybe you didn't have your ID on you in which case had you been stopped by a cop he would have taken you in because you couldn't prove your identity. i have no problem showing my ID for any purposes. but anyway, like i said before, when you become a victim of identity theft we'll see how you feel about being asked for your ID. i'll bet you will be complaining about NOT being asked for proof of identification at that point. stop your ### and whining and show appreciation for security measures.

18th of Dec, 2010

and just to add to my last comment, home depot is not required to post such signs about showing ID with credit purchases. it is the state that you are purchasing the item in that may or may not mandate it. the resposibility lies within the state government not with home depot. try looking up commerce laws in your state. you can google it.

18th of Dec, 2010

seems like this fool zachary is following me on every comment. what do you live on here or something? stop following me f--kface. and yes state commmerce laws sometimes do ask that ID be shown. not all states just some of them.

19th of Dec, 2010

i told you i am a soldier in the US army ###nut!

19th of Dec, 2010

i'm a soldier, does it matter what i do? i'm defending our very freedoms. but i'll tell you what immodest you can go clean my boots and while your at it some of my uniforms need cleaning. if you really need to know what i do its called infantry. i'm a rifleman.

19th of Dec, 2010

i am not a she...i am a he!!!

21st of Dec, 2010

good comment stealth pilot. i agree with it...and to dawniette, what the hell are you talking about. do yourself a favor and entwine yourself in your little harry potter universe.

• En
      25th of Dec, 2010

I understand that as a black male, you are probably used to being victimized and mistreated by white people. HOWEVER.. as a black female, and I don' think that has anything to do with it ( I could be incorrect), I am often asked to see my I.D. when I am making a purchase as A CREDIT purchase. I can use the same card for a debit transaction and no one asks for an I.D., only when using it as credit.
    This has been a requirement at multiple stores ( not Starbucks though! )
    But, I am not offended by this, as I would WANT them to ask for I.D. if my credit card was presented and I was not the one that was using it ( Fraud Prevention).. understand that in cases of Credit Card Fraud, the store loses money.

So while it may not be an official policy, someone may have told the female at the register to do this.. or she may be used to doing this to protect customers from Fraud at a previous place of employment.
    Either way, I think you should be HAPPY that someone isn't just running your credit card Willy Nilly ( to protect you from Fraud) HOWEVER, I DO THINK that if you perceive that you are being mistreated because you are a non-white person, particularly a black male ( double whammy!) you should CERTAINLY assert yourself and counter the mistreatment.

• Tw
      26th of Dec, 2010

wow thank u wj mathews for letting others know ~ deb

27th of Dec, 2010

who the ### is kevin and why is this anita calling me by that name? anita uses the word ### tard. i guess she understands what it means because it truly describes her.

• Da
      27th of Dec, 2010

...And then when your ID gets stolen and someone racks up a $900 bill on your account, you'll be crying "Well why didn't they check for ID". I am black too, and I have "Please Check for ID" written on the back of my card, and sometimes they check, sometimes they don't. So what, either way its not a racist issue! You should be happy that someone attempted to safeguard your money, and when you are asked for your ID you should say "Thank You for asking"! You should go back to the cashier and tip her $10 for having to put up with your bs that day!

• As
      28th of Dec, 2010

Ok for the person that is getting offended for someone asking for thier ID when your using credit (a signature base transaction) need to get it together. SERIOUSLY! She was not discriminating against you she was protecting your personal account against fraud and also protecting her job. Because when you don't use your pin with your card, it is required that ID is seen with signature base transactions. Reason being: If you would have disputed that transaction after you did it, and the clerk didnt check ID. Home Depot would have taken a loss and she would have gotten fired. I work for a bank and people try to defraud the system all the time. Feel glad that she is protecting you because the 1st time someone dont ask for id and it's not you using the card. I am sure you would have a fit.

• Su
      28th of Dec, 2010

Come on get real man. I've been to several home Depots all across Michigan and every single one of them I have gone into, they have asked to see my card and ID. Every single one of them. Lowes is the same way. If your credit card was stolen and they didn't check ID, how will they know that you are the actual owner of the credit card? Stop trying to pull the race card. How exactly do you know that you are the only one who got asked for ID that day? I bet when you left Home Depot, everyone in line who was using a credit card as payment got asked for their ID. I get asked for my ID whenever I use my credit card and I'm white. I don't feel like business are discriminating against me because I have to show ID each time. I actually feel better knowing that businesses are trying to stop identity theft before it happens.

What happens if someone stole my credit card and went to Home Depot, Lowes, Red lobster and all three places failed to ask for ID? They would forge my signature and they would go on a wild shopping spree. Now if all 3 places checked for ID and theirs didn't match then I bet they would be on the phone with the police and having them arrested.