Hollywood Video - Wellington, FL / The store made a mistake and I refuse to pay

Over the Christmas holiday (2006), I rented 2 movies. I returned them before the due date because I was leaving town (I put them in the bin outside the store... What a BIG mistake!!!) and was not going to be back before the due date. About 3 or 4 weeks later they started calling my house wanting to know when I was going to return the DVD's. I told them that I had already had returned them, and asked to speak to a manager as this was the second time that this has happened to us (last time I swore I would never go back there again... SECOND BIG mistake!!!) Last time they admitted to their mistake and took care of all costs. NOW, this time he again admitted to their mistake and promised me it was taken care of and I told him to cancel my membership. After another 3 weeks I started receiving a bill for$100.00 from Hollywood Video headquarters. After the second one, I called them and explained the situation and told them I will not pay the $100.00. Since then, they have turned me over for Collection. To my surprise, one of my co-workers told me the same thing happened to him at the same location and he found out that the so called "Collection" agency is actually Hollywood Video's collections. I am at my wit's end with this and do not know what to do. Any advice???

K.T.

Comments

• Tr
      24th of Jul, 2008

About one week ago I bought an Xbox 360 Headset from a nearby Hollywood Video because my other one had broken. It cost me about $17.00. I tried it on when i arrive home and was disappointed to find out that it did not fit. The earpiece was too big to fit on my ear and the microphone piece was too short and stuck out to my eye. I had asked my mom to take it back and get a refund. They said that they wouldn't take it back because it was opened. But it didnt say anything about returns on the receipt.

• Ho
      17th of Nov, 2008

Same exact story, but I nipped it in the butt the second time and called their corporate office. I spoke with Laura on 11/10/08, she informed me that the will take the $30.00 late charge off my account. I just went in again to rent movies on 11/15/08. Late charges still had not been removed. I think it's time to cancel my membership or be willing to babysit this company. I would be very upset if they turned me into collections!! WOW!!

• Li
      22nd of May, 2009

Every time I rent a movie from Hollywood Video located on Dallas Highway in Marietta, Georgia, I am always asked to show some identification. Why you ask? Apparently, my last name does not seem to be one that belongs to someone such as myself. They believe that it would be more fitting for me to have a last name such as Jones, Williams etc. Georgia is a beautiful state, minus some of the ### backwards, diversity, and intelligent challenged people who live here. Membership is cancelled!!

17th of Jul, 2009

I just want to respond to the person in Marietta, GA who is complaining about having to show ID to rent a video.

We have recently been bombarded with letters and calls from a collection agency regarding a video rented in March, 2009 in Clarksville, TN. The problem is we haven't lived in TN in 6 years! Unfortunately, someone there has the same name as my daughter and the store mistakenly charged my account for their purchase. So the next time you are asked to show your ID, be glad! It means that you won't be charged for someone else's video rental - especially when they fail to return it!!