Hollywood Video / late fees

1 Santa Clarita, CA, United States Review updated:

Hollywood Video charged $159.00 to my credit card for nothing. I had not rented a video for months and the last ones I did I returned on time inside the store. When I called the store I was told that I was being charged through the corporate office for the full price of the videos and that I never returned them. I asked if I could get a copy of the last videos I rented and he said their printers were not working. I asked if he could tell me the date of the last time I rented any videos from them and he said he did not have that information. The funny thing is, I had a similar experience with another Hollywood Video store during their first bankruptcy a couple years ago just as it was closing down also. In that incident I had returned the video by putting it in their night drop box and they claimed I never returned it and tried to charge my credit card. That issue was resolved. They could not provide any documentation then and I bet they can't provide any documentation now. either.

Ra

Comments

• Js
      25th of Sep, 2009

Hollywood Video informed me that I had a late fee on a movie that I returned on time. They want over $45(!) in charges for a used rental movie that anyone would sell for $10. The letter I got threatened to charge this to my bank card, but that if I returned the video and agreed to sign up for one of their plans then all late charges would be "forgiven."

This place is a complete and total rip-off - never, ever go to Hollywood Video. This is a scam that they apparently run all the time. I'll stick with Netflix from now on.

• Af
      6th of Oct, 2009

What is this called? by Law?

• Uw
      18th of Nov, 2009

Did you have them look on the shelf for your movie? Sometimes movies are in the checkin pile but for one reason or another aren't scanned. If the movie was found on the shelf, you shouldn't be held responsible.

MG employee

p.s. They can't charge it to your bank account. I can't believe ppl are this stupid. When you signed up for your account do you recall what information they took? Just like your addy and DL to make sure you are who you say you are. The credit card is just to verify that you are who you say you are and only the last 4 digits and expiration date are recorded to make sure that we are doing our job.

• Hv
      4th of Feb, 2010

actually they CAN charge your bank card. =)
    HV-Employee

• Ki
      12th of Apr, 2010

This is why you walk into the store, hand them your videos, watch them check them in, ask for a receipt (if they do that, I know Blockbuster does), then hand them your membership card to cut up.

Then sign up for Netflix.

• Hv
      13th of Apr, 2010

Dear Rat Dog,

We would be happy to investigate this charge for you and if we find that this charge was the result of an error on our part, we will correct it for you immediately.

Please contact our Customer Relations department at 1-877-325-8687 and one of our representatives will assist you.

We appreciate your membership and look forward to serving you again.

Sincerely,