Hollywood Video / Fees a year later!!!!

1 NV, United States Review updated:

I just received notice that there are four movies on my account that have not been returned.  The notice I received was from a credit collection agency.  I am totally unaware of any movies rented on my account and not returned.  I was also in the local store several times in the past year and was never told of these outstanding movies.  Nor, have I ever received prior notification verbally or written. Furthermore, I had an automatic charge of 15.00 per month being charged to my credit card and I was in the local store prior to it's closing.  I was told that I did not have an outstanding balance and that the $15, 00/ per month charge would stop.

I have been told by (CCS) that this will go against my credit.  I  have requested proof that these movies were rented by myself or someone on my account as my account was by ID only.

I have also requested a detailed, itemized statement of all charges and proof of rental (signature and ID#) and also, proof that any items rented legally through my account were not returned.

Dl

Comments

• To
      Oct 16, 2010

We have received a similar letter from ccs. We are being charged over $200 for movies we returned in 2009.
    We are disputing the claim with ccs. We called ccs to get clarification of these charges. While on the phone with ccs, the person my wife was speaking with at said that the charges can be settled for $47.00. This was in a matter of 10 min. Somrthing is wrong here.

• Te
      Oct 18, 2010

I am having the very very same problem with these guys. Have you found a way to resolve this unscrupulous attempt to get money out of former customers on this company's way to going out of business via bankruptcy

Oct 18, 2010

I received my letter today. $245.22 and they would settle it for $62. I told them No way!!! When was the last time you could leave Hollywood video with 11 movies at one time??? How about leaving without paying your late fees - "additional rental charges" before you could rent more movies???? Never happened in our case.
    I spoke with Jason at CCS tonight and says he has 4 pages of complaints against us for late fees and 11 movies we did not return. There is no way. I asked Jason to mail me copies of the 4 pages of complaints and he said he could not do that, but I can always send in my "PROOF" that we returned or paid for the late fees. I can track my CC charges from them but can't tell you what is on the receipts? I didn't keep those receipts since I don't claim "entertainment" on my taxes anywhere.
    They are going to forward this to their "disputed claims division" and they will put the entire amount as a black mark on my credit reports.
    So what can I do now? Put together a finely worded letter as "my proof since they won't forward me the documents against me? Aren't I entitled to get those?

Oct 18, 2010

We live in Maryland and just got the same letter from the credit agency today for $218.00 for movies we rented years ago and returned. We called and they threatened our credit rating. We have the same problem in that we don't have receipts; why would we keep video receipts? This appears to be some sort of scam that someone at Hollywood with access to the customer database has conjured up. Can we put this information together since it appears this is a widespread issue and file a class action suit against them?

• He
      Oct 19, 2010

The same thing happened to me!! I spoke with Jason on 10/15 and Jeremy today. Unfortunately I just settled b/c I have excellent credit and have absolutely no way to prove that I didn't return the videos, even though I did! Also, I never received any notification from Hollywood video that I owed ANYTHING or that I didn't return videos- even when renting from them in the months following the supposedly unreturned videos. In addition, Jason told me my 'settlement' amount on Friday, then today I was notified that there's a $9.95 fee for processing!!! Who can you even go to about this? It might be too late for me, and even with the fee, I only shelled out $25, but it pisses me off! I could put a stop on the payment, but it's not worth the risk of it hurting my credit.

• Vd
      Oct 19, 2010

I just got a notice in the mail today regarding the same crap and a friend of the families also got a notice. I'm going to investigate it a little more before I shell out any cash. This doesn't feel right.

• Ti
      Oct 20, 2010

It's totally crap I've got recepts of a few returns they are telling me I didn't return ant they total it up to $317 saying that 9 games that I've rented I never returned, and I made sure to return the one's I had to my local store before they closed. I think this is a way for them to try and get out of bankrupcy and steal more money from people who used their service. I belive it's total ###. The best part was i told them I have recepts of returns and then she told me they could take a payment of $67 to close my account!

• Da
      Oct 20, 2010

i got the same letter as well, although they asked me for proof of returned and i stated "did u ever get a print out when you returned a game in a movie store drop box?" they don't give you proof. i was told to write a letter asking for proof and i sent it certifited mail. i haven't received anything back since i just sent it on monday but i am hoping to hear something back soon. i dont think a class action suit is a bad idea. something should be done, this isn't right.

i was on the silver powerplay with hollywood video where you can only have one game out at a time and there arent any late fees and im being charged for 3 games and late fees.

these charges are bogus and "hollywood video" or ccs need to be stopped. its not right to go around threatening peoples credit that they worked so hard to keep good. esp in this economy

• Er
      Oct 22, 2010

I am in the same situation. This whole thing is a scam! This would be a great case for a class action lawsuit. Sick the lawyers on them.

• Ko
      Oct 22, 2010

Same thing here in Rio Rancho, NM!! They say I owe $90, but will settle for $18!!! This has to be a scam. Contact the Attorney General in our state? I don't know, but this stinks.

Oct 23, 2010

We live in Michigan and got the same letter. This is absurd. We got a bill for $142 and called Credit Collections Services (CCS). They said it was for seven movies we rented over a year ago in April. The charges included full retail price for each movie plus late fees!

Like others on this message board, we protested. We had returned the movies and never received a letter or phone call at all from Hollywood Video at any time. Plus, the company is bankrupt. Who gets the money?

CCS asked us to show receipts to prove that we returned the movies. Of course, Hollywood Video (like all other video rental chains) don't provide receipts when customers return movies. It's a catch 22.

We asked them, "What's the best price you can offer us to settle?" They said, "$57". Next, we asked if they would waive the $9.95 processing fee. "Yes, if you send a check in the mail instead of paying online or over the phone."

So, to others, NEGOTIATE WITH THEM before paying your full amount! PS: we're angry about this whole situation, like everyone else!

• Mm
      Oct 23, 2010

got my letter today, says i owe $73.00 i called ccs and they said they will settle for $15.00 if with in 7 days. bs i will not send a dime!!! i will contact a lawyer about this!!! mike in pa.

• Cg
      Oct 23, 2010

Received collection notice from CCS dated 10/18/10 with a bogus balance of $212.34. This is immoral. A company now bankrupt sells their database to someone and hires a collection agency? OR, does the collection agency buy the database and begins trolling for money "allowing" people to "settle" for some arbitrary fraction of the supposed balance? The sad thing is CCS is probably collecting a significant amount of money from paranoid people who don't want to risk their credit being "damaged".

SImple thing here is if this does effect your credit, you can have a comment added to your credit file that the Hollywood Video collection is bogus and to refer to websites like this one.

Next step is to contact your state and federal legislators, plus any consumer protection board that may exist in your state. I live in New York state and have already contacted the Attorney General's office about this. I suggest everyone else to do the same.

• Cg
      Oct 23, 2010

Anita - you are assuming the collection notices are for legitimate late fees not paid. My "###" as you say, was paid in full prior to bankruptcy.

• Pa
      Oct 25, 2010

I got a letter too... sent to an an address I haven't lived at in over 15 yrs which was odd. But yes, they claim I rented & didn't return 2 DVDs and an Xbox game in 2009. We did rent them, but we also returned them. I've got question: If I rented a DVD and didn't return it, why would they rent me another? And if I didn't return 2 of them, why would they rent me yet a third? AND NEVER CONTACT ME ABOUT IT? I wasn't on the phone 2 minutes with CCS and they had already lowered my bill from $75 to $16. This is such extortion and it shouldn't be legal. I know it's only $16 for me but it's the principle of the thing that is bothering me.

• Mi
      Oct 25, 2010

We also got a letter from CCS. They said we did not return a game to Hollywood Video. Same story as everyone else. They said they have nothing in writing from Hollywood, other then some piece of paper saying we owed a late fee. They said they would reduce our charge of $65.25 if we gave them $20 in the next ten days. I can see on our debt card that we paid a late fee two days after the return of the game. In fact they rented to us 8 more times before they went out of business. This CCS is quit the rip off artest. Anyone else contact an attorney yet! We are going to call our State Attorney General and file a complaint and see what they can do about this.

Oct 25, 2010

We recieved the same letter. We were on the Gold plan - we could rent 3 movies at a time with no late fees. We returned all the movies before the store closed and I even bought one of them. I am sending CCS a certified letter and contacting the AG in my state (Texas). DON'T pay these people. They don't have a legal right to pursue you or put a negative impact on your credit without proof. Sounds like they can't provide it.

• Si
      Oct 30, 2010

I used to work for Hollywood video, and I have heard this story a thousand times. Fact is, that on almost every occasion the person believed/claimed they returned the videos. We would go through every copy of that movie in the store, and it would not turn up. Each and every individual DVD has it's own number assigned to it.

If the person was not satisfied, I would print out a list of their unreturned movies, pull each copy from the shelves and offer to let them see if the one they said they had returned was there. In almost every case, it turned out that the DVD was under the seat of their car, their couch, they had told their kid/spouse to return it and they never did, or any number of other situations.

Our biggest form of entertainment would be the next day, after a customer cause a huge public display of anger, yelling at us and calling us every name in the book. And then a car would pull up the next day, someone would jump out, run to the drop box, toss a movie in and speed away. Low and behold... it was the movie there was the DVD that just the day before someone was screaming about having already returned a month previous. In three years, and almost countless occasions, this was the way it would work 95% of the time.

Nov 03, 2010

Um... by the way? Hollywood Video went completely bankrupt and all stores have been closed. Soooo complaining about them does absolutely nothing. Just felt like I should point that out for anyone who thought otherwise.

Nov 05, 2010

Umm, Evolus, - wouldn't be complaining except I JUST received a collection notice from a debt collector for a supposed 'debt' I owe from Hollywood Video. There is no way to dispute it BECAUSE they are out of business and - singledad - don't post on something when all you have is experience from your store. My store sucked - they lost movies I had returned constantly and THEY later found them. I was on their monthly plan with no late fees and I always got a late fee notice in the mail - THEIR mistake. Don't assume everyone on here is just whining about movies they didn't return and are now being charged for. This collection agency seems to have bought some bogus 'debt' from Hollywood Video and is now attempting to wreck our credit unless we pay them off.

Nov 05, 2010

My point is shouldn't you be complaining about the debt collection company themselves, not Hollywood Video? Considering that would actually be a complaint for a company still in business.

Nov 30, 2010

Follow up: I sent a certified letter to CCS telling them we didn't owe a debt and asked for proof of such debt. I waited several weeks, then called and was told my account balance was zero. They didn't have proof so they were forced to close the account.

Dec 06, 2010

@stealthpilot - I am not lucky. There was no debt, we did not owe them any money, it was most certainly not valid. If it was a valid debt, they would have been able to provide proof and we would still owe the money. There were no files for Hollywood Video to turn over because they didn't exist or if they did would show that we didn't owe money. Good collection agencies with valid debts don't pull money out of their ### and they also don't drop their collection efforts when proof is requested. They are aware that they are required by federal law to provide proof of the debt and wouldn't be trying to collect without proof unless is was a scam. And no collection agency in their right mind would buy debt without that proof. We are by NO means the only people caught up in this scam. Check out http://www.consumeraffairs.com/entertainment/hollywood_video.html if you don't believe me. Everyone who has bothered to fight has won. What does that say about the collection efforts? I have written the attorney general of my state as have many others because this appears to be a widespread problem.

• Sh
      Jan 13, 2011

1/13/11
    This information needs to be reported by everyone to their
    local and national tv stations. There must be hundreds of
    individuals that are receiving these notices or find collections
    listed all of a sudden on their credit reports. Take it to CNN!

• Dd
      Jan 14, 2011

I actually received notice from an alert on my credit report that I had a negative hit before I received the notice from the credit agency that they were pursuing 184.70 for late fees from a Hollywood Video account. I had never received anything from Hollywood Video in writing or by phone and never had a chance to dispute it was correct. When I contacted National Credit Solutions they indicated it was for three movies returned late and I informed them that was incorrect not to mention if correct would have been about 6.00 in late fees, the lady then indicated they charged other fees on top.

I have filed a complaint with Michigan Attorney General, FTC, and am going to send to my local paper, news, and other agencies. Clearly something is up with how Hollywood Video handled the bankruptcy, how the credit agency comes up with an arbitrary number, and the fact that your credit report is hit before any contact is made with the consumer. I would love to see a class action law suit by all Hollywood Video customers. Most of us were up sold on unlimited plans with no late fees and then had late fees attached anyway.

Now wonder they went out of business.

Doug Dallas

Jan 18, 2011

First and foremost this is complete and utter BS. I get a phone call from 405-619-3630 and am told to call National Credit Solution back at 1-800-384-0585; Of course, I couldn't talk to them b/c it was the wife's account. Basically, they said that back in 2009 "WE" rented Tiger Woods 2009 for the PS2..Yep, I did, and then I turned it in..END OF STORY. NO...not even close -- got the call on MLK Jr day that we owe $22 and some change ASAP or it will be REPORTED on our CREDIT. All she could say is that it was rented on the specific date and then "evidently" it was never turned in. I do believe Hollywood Video, after I think 30 days, would've charged our credit card for the full price of the game. I'm calling the W.Va. State AG and reporting both NCS and HW Video -- Hell, I can buy the came brand new for $19...I will ship them the game b4 I pay them any money -- Yeah, it's only $20-some bucks, but it is the principal of the matter and as a consumer I'm getting ripped off TOTALLY and this is BS! Jay in W.Va.

• 84
      Jan 26, 2011

this is a scam- do not give your credit card info to them. it was on the news. we were told after giving out our information.

• Mi
      Jan 26, 2011

It's a total scam! Do not send any money! They try to pressure you by settling quick, don't fall for it!

• Th
      Jan 27, 2011

Posting angry comments only stirs the pot to a bigger problem than it acutally is. Any and every acct with Hollywood Video and/or Movie Gallery is a collectable debt. If you as the consumer cannot provide proof that you paid your late fees, you are liable according to your contract that you signed, for any and all fees owed. And each time a complaint is sent to any office you should be sure to inform them that you signed a contract with these companies. Every company, bankrupt or not, has a right to collect an unpaid debt owed to them. Otherwise banks that close would be giving away houses ALL the time and the housing market would not have bottomed out. Debt collection is in place for a reason and not all agencies are a scam. Check any website for the Secretary of State where you live or where the company is located to verify the information before you jump to conclusions and assume things that are not true. You can be upset with Hollywood Video and/or Movie Gallery but not with the colleciton agency that is only doing the job they were hired to do. And if the agency does what they said they would in helping you correct your credit or resolving the acct, the only RIGHT thing to do is to go back and RETRACT EVERY inaccurate statement you have posted. I have dealt with some of these companies in the past and most people are making them out to be worse than they are plus jumping to conclusions before they are fully informed or do their due diligence to find out what the issue is and try to resolve it first. As the saying goes, if you ASSUME, you make an ### out of U & ME!

Feb 05, 2011

Wait. You can sue a company that is no longer in business? How does THAT work?
    Oh and yes, let's totally take it to CNN.

"BOYCOTT HOLLYWOOD VIDEO! DON'T EVER RENT THERE AGAIN!
    ...Oh wait."

• Ds
      Mar 08, 2011

I checked my credit report just before purchasing a car, and noticed that I had a collection from CCS re: Hollywood video for $149.00. I used the following Debt Validation letter, and got everything removed. I had also reported CCS to the BBB, my state's Attorney General's Office, and to the Federal Trade Commission.

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is in response to negative feedback appearing on my credit report on November 12, 2010 originated by Credit Collection Services. This is a notice sent pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (b) that your claim is disputed and validation is requested.

This is NOT a request for “verification” or proof of my mailing address, but a request for VALIDATION made pursuant to the above named Title and Section. I request that your office provides me with competent evidence that I have any legal obligation to pay you.

NB: The opinion letter from the Federal Trade Commission to Jeffrey Wollman, dated March 10, 1993 clearly indicates that “mere itemization of what the debt collector already has does not accomplish this purpose [verification].” Accordingly, itemization of Credit Collection Services records will not be accepted as meeting the requirements pursuant to the above named Title and Section.

Please provide me with the following:

Proof that Credit Collection Services owns the debt or has been assigned the debt
    The name and address of the original creditor.
    Provide me with copies of my signed contract with Hollywood Video;
    Provide me with complete copies of my video rental history including dates, location and any outstanding charges;
    Provide me with my payment history to Hollywood Video
    Provide me with a copy of rental histories for any items that you are claiming I did not return.
    Show me that you are licensed to collect debt in the state of Ohio. As of November 11, 2010 Credit Collection Services is not listed as a licensed collection agency according to Ohio Department of Financial Institutions.
    Provide me with your license numbers and Registered Agent for the State of Ohio

At this time I will also inform you that if your offices do not remove invalidated information from each of the 3 major Credit Bureau’s (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion) this action might constitute fraud under both Federal and State Laws. Due to this fact, if any negative mark is found on any of my credit reports by your company or the company that you represent I will bring legal action against you for the following:

Violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act
    Violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
    Defamation of Character
    Financial Damages Incurred

If your offices are able to provide the proper documentation as requested in the following Declaration, I will require at least 30 days to investigate this information and during such time all collection activity must cease and desist.

Also during this validation period, if any action is taken which could be considered detrimental to any of my credit reports, I will consult with my legal counsel for suit. This includes listing any information to a credit reporting repository that could be inaccurate or invalidated or verifying an account as accurate when in fact there is no provided proof that it is.

If your offices fail to respond to this validation request within 30 days from the date of your receipt, all references to this account must be deleted and completely removed from my credit file and a copy of such deletion request shall be sent to me immediately.

All future communications with me MUST be done in writing and sent to the address noted in this letter by USPS.

It would be advisable that you assure that your records are in order before I am forced to take legal action. This is an attempt to correct your erroneous records, any information obtained shall be used for that purpose.

Regards,

Good luck with you battles against CCS. Don't let me try to collect money from you that you most likely don't owe.