Hollywood Video / Unfair Collections Submission

1 Milford, PA, United States Review updated:

I recently recieved a credit monitoring alert about a collections account that just showed up. When I investigated, I found out that Hollywood Video apparently turned me into a collections agency. I had no knowledge of any balance owed to this company, and I have never recieved a phone call, email, or letter of an issue with my account. In fact, they even had a credit card on file for any account charges. My credit score has been adversely affected (temporarily) and I am left dealing with a collections agency (National Credit Solutions) that so far has been impossible to get a hold of (I am on hold for several minutes, and then it goes to a message and hangs up on me). How can a company that never sends you a letter, a financial statement or notification of any type be allowed to turn a customer into a collections agency and negatively affect their credit? There are so many factors these days that are based on credit scores, including financial companies who randomly monitor and adjust rates based on your current credit score. I really need to understand how this is legal, if anyone else is experiencing the same issue with Hollywood Video (the credit monitoring company indicated they have seen a surge in complaints), and some assistance resolving this (not sure if their is any corporate Hollywood Video contacts left anymore or bankruptcy constituency. This also underscores the importance of credit monitoring services- I would have never even known had it not been for my Experian credit monitoring (although they kind of contribute to the problem to begin with by just allowing any company to negatively affect your score)...

Comments

• Da
      Jul 25, 2007
    Hollywood Video - Owned money never payed

Today I received a message from Hollywood Video with two telephone numbers to call, but no particular person who would take care of this. I am hoping we can get somebody to help her get the money they owe her. Thank you.

3150 California Street
    San Francisco CA

My 18-year-old daughter worked at Hollywood Video last year, and when she left they owed her about $300. Because she did not receive the check before it expired, she asked the store manager to help her get the salary due to her. She was told she had to ask corporate, but was given no specific person to talk to. She left a message at the only number she was given, because nobody answers the phone there. There has been no call back and no response.

Dan Lee

• Co
      Aug 20, 2007

We we rent from Hollywood video about six to nine movies from them and every time we try to watch them. They are so scratched to the point, they would not play at all. I tried to see if it works on ether DVD player. I wish they will look at all of dvd be for they rent them out to people and I wish they clean the dvd because they are smugged with finger prints or some thing whats has oil on them. So if you can ask them to fix the problem with this.

This is Yucca Valley CA Hollwood video store
    Sincerely Connie Mcguire

8/20/2007

• Pe
      Aug 23, 2007

I just joined Hollywood Video 2 weeks ago, I had 2 movies that were do back to the store on Tuesday. I stopped in the store since it was on my way home from work. I told them my movies were do back and I asked what is the late fee. I was told there is no late fee you will only need to pay for another 5 day rental. Today is Thursday and I took the movies back, well they do have a late fee. The cost of the 5 day rental is the late fee per day. Now if I would have keep the movies for an extra 5 days like I was told I would have ended up paying an extra 20 dollars. I do not have a problem with the late fees, I do not have a problem that this is their policy. I have a problem that I was told they do not charge late fees and they do. I gave them back my card and asked them to cancel my membership. I will not go back.

• La
      May 11, 2009
    Hollywood Video - Scam and cheating
    hollywoodvideo.com

Our Hollywood video store recently began vending magazines. The selection to which I object is "Maxim". This magazine is unfit for public display where youth and children are frequently present. I registered a formal complaint with them on 3/14/09.

• Xc
      May 16, 2009

How is this a scam or cheating?

• He
      Jul 12, 2009
    Hollywood Video - rip off
    hollywood video
    Minnesota

well over at the hollywaood video store i was looking at the video games they have for sale and i saw a game i had (prince of persia, its one that is older and most stores don't sell much anymore) and they were selling it for $40! i bought that same game used at gamestop (it was in perfict condition) for only $18! these people ant hollywood video are rip-offs.

• Ni
      Aug 19, 2009

I understand your your offense however you have to look at it [censored]lywood Video is a corporation and their stores are not a disneyland store. The magazines are meant for enjoyment of ALL ages/customers. These magazines can be found at grocery stores, walgreens, gas stations and other public places. I admit some of the magazines can be unfortunate to see, but the store is an entertainment for EVERYONE. Nowadays, by letting your child even walk outside is a hazard b/c their is sexual influence everywhere.(internet, tv, stores, people, radio, pictures..etc) Im not saying i agree with the content of the magazines or influence of them... im just saying you cant be selfish and get upset b/c they are trying to run a business for everyone.

• Ba
      Sep 09, 2009

Well...in defense of Hollywood Video for displaying explicit or suggestive images. The suggestive magazines are supposed to be at the top away from children's eyes. The display themselves also come equipped with shields that sit in front covering the entire magazine with exception of the name. A simple inquery to the manager could of solved your little dilemma.

• Ha
      Sep 22, 2009

If it's a new game it sales high, and most of the time game stop sells games at the same rate as Game Crazy

• Cl
      Oct 15, 2009

I think this is just petty, because your child is going to see way worse on TV and in school. A magazine is the least of your worries.

• Nu
      Nov 24, 2009

My kid can design a better webpage! What retart (metally challenged) designed hollywoodvideo.com.

Nov 24, 2009

Since your kid is so smart, maybe he can teach you how to spell...

• Vi
      Dec 29, 2009

Their new website IS painfully slow (I have a T-1 connection). The new website is not only slow but not user friendly (i.e. click on 'New Releases' and you'll be shown a slew of movies, some which have been out for some time, some which have not been released yet). Which browsing the 'rolodex' of movies, click on the 'movie info' hyperlink (below the movie selection). It takes about 20 seconds, maybe longer to load the next page. Then, when you are done reading the movie info and click 'Back', it does no take you bakc where you left off. You are staring at a bunch of different movies. Very counter intuitive (and SLOW). The old website was much easier and faster. I liked the old 'release wall where you can view the releases by dates, and can read movie info via a very fast 'pop-up' window.
    If you want to see what movies have been released this week, you'll be better off going into the store as the new website is not much help.
    In favor of their new website, I like the intensive graphics and the many visual effects (i.e. 'reflections', animated rolodex, fading effects, animated color gradients, etc, etc).
    Vic

• Hv
      Feb 04, 2010

ITS ### [censored]> IF YOUR GOING TO DISS LEARN TO SPELL!

• Ro
      Mar 08, 2010
    Hollywood Video - charge for video never rented
    Ohio

got charge from Hollywood video sent letter stating I did not rent any videos and did not even know were they are located. I then called and said they would take charges off now it has been turned over to collection agency.

• Be
      Mar 15, 2010

Here is a number to hollywood video that has worked for me. They are rude but they stole from us so be hard as nails back. 360-450-6137. They do not answer it hollywood video just say thats who you are looking for and they will tell you that hollywood video is a client of theirs. Good luck.

• Hv
      Apr 21, 2010

The (360) number mentioned above is not a number to Hollywood Video. For best results contacting Hollywood Video, call 1-877-325-8687. They are open daily from 8am - 7pm and are very friendly and helpful. If you have a problem, they are your best bet for solving it.

• Ka
      Jun 15, 2010

I ordered approximately 22 movies from Hollywood Video online. It has now been almost a month and I still haven't received my videos. My status on the site indicates the order is processing. I wrote a note to hollywood video and received an auto-response, but nothing more. I now believe that this is their way of funding their bankruptcy and I will in fact not ever receive the videos or get my money back. I am going to have to go to my bank tomorrow and file a complaint so that I receive a credit for the funds paid. Too bad these people cannot be honest!

• Pi
      Oct 29, 2010
    Hollywood Video - Collection agency trying to collect after Company no longer exists for bill I don't owe!
    Credit Collection Services
    Portland
    Oregon

Received a collection notice for $222.78 without any prior notification from Hollywood Video rentals supposedly not returned. There is no way to contact Hollywood Video (or Hollywood Entertainment) since they no longer exist! All of their offices are closed and numbers disconnected.

• As
      Nov 29, 2010

I have the same exact problem. Went to check my credit score-I will be buying a car... and it was just there... no letters in the mail from HV or the Collections. I used to be a manager for this company. It's ridiculous. I'm waiting to see what they send as 'proof' within the 30 days they have allotted. I returned the game they said I still have out... and I even checked my bank card from march and I can see where I paid for it when it came back. So much for $1 a day with Powerplay. Of course no customer service is left-so we are just arguing with a middle man who wants their money without having anything but the title and a price tag to tell me about.

Nov 29, 2010

I think it's funny they made no attempt to contact me, if i didn't have a monthly credit check I would have never known about this. I had to make first contact after they posted negitive information on my credit report, Even if they take this off my credit report I will follow up with the Fair Trade Comission to have National credit Solutions investigated. It seems this is more wide spread than I first thought. I think they are buying false debts and attacking people with good scores. It's a shame I need to spend all this time on these crooks. They hope to bully people around and scare them into paying for fake debts to save their credit, being a combat vet I really wish I could meet these cowards face to face. At 236 dollars, I would pay that today if i owed it but I will not let them extort me on the fear of hurting my credit. Can we start a class action law suit on these guys? If so I would join that, it sounds like this is happening a bit to much for a isolated incident.

• Ba
      Nov 29, 2010

Its Def not an ISOLATED incident! It's happened to me as well! I just noticed all of this yesterday on my credit report, no call, no letter, no anything. Im not sure what to do... i disputed the charges and wrote an FTC complaint. What else do I do? I havent been able to talk to a live person at all yet.

• Mj
      Nov 30, 2010

I have the exact same fact pattern as the original post by Kman2001. I have never had a late fee in my life. On November 21, I receive a credit alert that Experian has record of National Credit Solutions pursuing $88 from me related to Hollywood Video. I contacted Experian and informed them that I was disputing this claim as I had never been contacted by NCS or Hollywood Video about any delinquent movie return or other charges. I too had a credit card on file, so if this was legitimate, why not charge my card? I also had difficulty reaching NCS as it would auto disconnect after the message. After much persistance I was able to connect with a less than helpful individual who claimed that I didn't return one movie and that I needed a receipt to prove that I did. First the majority of movies are returned via dropboxes with no receipt provided. Secondly, and most importantly, the burden of proof is on the collection agency to provide proof that I owe this fictitious claim (see the FTC website for your rights http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre18.shtm I wrote NCS a letter disputting the charge, sent certified receipt requested. It is going to a PO BOX, so I don't know how this works but will follow up to ensure that I have proof that they receive my letter. For a sample letter see the following link http://media.trb.com/media/acrobat/2010-10/137499660-19134130.doc

After I made contact with NCS, yesterday I received a demand letter from them indicating that I have 30 days to dispute. It is good that I sent my letter immediately!

This is a scam and unfortunately takes time to fight. Paying NCS money that we don't owe will simply reward this behavior and result in more of this type of activity in the future.

Please let me know if anyone has been successful and how this works for you.

Dec 01, 2010

I too have been targeted by this. I got a notice on my credit report and then turned around and contacted NCS. They say I owe over $100 for two video games that may or may not have been returned. This whole things screams extortion. When I asked what we could do to lower the fees the lady said they could drop it to around $80. But if I acted now and paid before the end of the month this would disappear from my credit report. She threatened me saying if I disputed it then it would stay on my credit report forever as a "disputed" account, effectively tarnishing my record.

I have sent a letter to them denying any alleged debt. I have never been contacted by anyone regarding late fees or anything on my accounts for Hollywood Video. I think it is very unlawful for a company to be allowed to act in this manner. I recently had to fight off another collections issue because a parking lot said I received a ticket from them that I never paid. It's kind of hard to pay a ticket (or in the case of Hollywood Video, a late fee) when you never get notified of it. Hell, if I was told I owed them $20 for late fees I'd pay it so long as they had proof. But for them to say I owe full price for video games that are God knows old is absolutely ridiculous.

Additionally, I read somewhere it is their duty to prove we owe a debt, not ours to disprove a debt. Keep that in mind in writing a letter to them, ask for proof. Since Hollywood Video is bankrupt, I'd think they wouldn't be able to get any proof of rental history from them.

If there is a class action suit, count me in. I'm sick of companies doing this to consumers.

Dec 01, 2010

look take the time and file a complaint with the FTC and the BBB and follow thru. dispute the charge, if we file enough complaints with the ftc they will be investigated. This seems to be a scam, Don't let them get you. Go to the FTC website and file a complaint on these guys, if enough people file they will be investigated.

National Credit Solutions
    ADDRESS: PO Box 15779
    Oklahoma City, OK 73155-0779

PHONE: 405 619-3630

• Fo
      Dec 02, 2010

On 11/24 I found out that my Credit Score dropped by 77 points because NCS brought a collection claim against me for Hollywood Video in the amount of $236. I was never notified I owed them anything and I know before they closed I checked my account for a balance and was told there was none. How can I fight this!! I think it is fishy and I am ready to take these crooks on. Any advice would be helpful.

Dec 03, 2010

Same story as everyone else. Had a Hollywood Video account, always paid what I owed and returned videos. Have a credit monitoring service, all of a sudden there is a $122 collections account. Experian has been very unhelpful, blah blah blah. I make very little money but have been carefully building good credit for about 10 years and this has ruined it. I'm looking into starting a class action suit and from what I've figured out so far, 1. NCS does indeed need to prove our debts, not the other way around (which is good, because it's hard to prove things DIDN'T happen) and 2. There are FTC policies that prohibit Experian to continue reporting false information, and with the number of people this is happening to it's very quickly becoming an obvious scam.
    After I talk to a lawyer about options I'll repost on this page. In the mean time, we should probably set up a Facebook or Yahoo group or something to start gathering victims. The more people we can get involved the better, so please don't pay NCS! That will just make it easier for them to keep doing this kind of thing.

Dec 03, 2010

Oh yeah, and P.S...This is only going to get bigger, because most people don't have credit monitoring services, which seems to be how everyone on here found out. So 6 months from now someone's going to get denied for a car loan and be very surprised.

Dec 03, 2010

That is very true. When I first spoke with NCS I asked why I hadn't received a letter from them notifying me of a debt. They said they only send a letter when they are first contacted by the consumer. So I was lucky to have a credit monitoring service. There is no telling how many people do not, and will never find out until they try to get a loan for something else. And if NCS isn't stopped, by then someone may owe $10, 000 worth of fees from NCS. Bunch of crooks.

One thing I forgot to mention, when I first called, the lady I spoke with was very nice and professional. But that was only because there was a glimmer of hope that I'd pay the debt. As soon as I asked about challenging the debt, she got upset and was very stern from then on out.

Dec 03, 2010

I'm with you jaydot ceedot make a facebook page and post the page link i think we could gather maybe a hundred at least for now, let's start a class action lawsuit. Even if NCS takes this off my credit report i want to have them investigated, I was trying to buy a house and now I can't because I need to fight this to get my score back into the 780's.

Dec 03, 2010

then same thing has happened to my son, in the amount of 258.43. for a outstanding late fee that hollywood said he had. Hollywood never said anything to him when they were having their closing sale and he bought movies from them. If he had outstand fees, why wouldn't they have said something to him then? He too is trying to buy a house and had not been notified by Hollywood, until a credit check was made... total scam????

Dec 06, 2010

I'm another bogus Hollywood Video collection victim.

I agree, we should all fight this tooth and nail. It is basically extortion. They are trying to collect $150 from me, but I will gladly spend that much fighting them rather than pay something I don't owe. My credit score has already dropped 67 points, and the only way I found out was through credit monitoring!

First things first. Everybody send a "debt validation" letter to NCS. Use the US Postal Service and send it certified with return receipt. I also faxed a copy of the same letter and saved the confirmation page from the fax which is date and time stamped. Let's flood their PO box everyone! Google debt validation letter if you don't know where to start.

I have also filed a complaint with the Oklahoma Attorney General. I urge everyone else to do the same. One complaint will go un-noticed, but if we flood their office with legitimate complaints, they will be more likely to investigate this company.

I plan on waiting to see how they respond to the debt validation letter. Mine was signed for on December 1st, so I will wait until after January 1 to perform the next steps. Regardless of how they respond I plan on filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. If they ignore me, then that is more ammunition to provide the FTC. I urge everyone else to do the same. Again, if the FTC receives many complaints saying the same thing, they will have to take action, but one may be lost in the noise.

I definitely plan to sue this company if they don't discontinue collection efforts by Jan 1. I have not decided if I will use an attorney or just go to small claims and have them served myself.

I think we probably should set up a Facebook group as well. The other option besides personal suits is definitely to band together in a class action law suit. Let's try get this company shut down so they can't do this to others.

I found the owner of NCS on facebook. His profile info contained the following:

"Own a successful company, at least for now. Never know, I could be washing dishes next week. Who cares as long as you can still smile."

That sounds like a guy who has nothing to worry about right? Please don't contact him or otherwise harass him. That would be stooping to his level. Let's do this professionally and by the books. Together, we can take away his reason for smiling. Let's hope that he is washing dishes in jail soon!

Dec 06, 2010

OK, since I'm not sure it has been done, I created a Facebook Group. Please join if National Credit Solutions is using collection practices against you that you feel violate your rights.

Dec 07, 2010

You can fight this. Google debt validation letter. There is also another thread going.

• Je
      Dec 07, 2010

Please scroll down to see the steps I took to hopefully resolve this issue.

This collection account through National Collection Services was brought to my attention through my credit monitoring service. I was never contacted by the company directly. When I initiated contact with them to ask for an explanation of charges they told me it was for late fees and video/games rentals that where not returned to Hollywood Video back in the April/May time frame. I told them that the items had been returned months ago prior to the close of the store and as for late fees, I was a monthly member which allowed me to checkout items and return them when I wanted without fees. They asked me to provide proof I was a member for the time frame of Jan - April of 2010, so I sent them bank statements showing the Hollywood Video monthly membership fee for those months. Upon their receipt of my statements the NCS rep stated that he would remove the charges. That did not happen.

When I called back the following week, I was connected with different NCS representative and she said that the bank account records were not proof and that I had to show proof of a return receipt from the store for those items. Videos stores don't issue return receipts when you drop off your items! She said unless I furnished a receipt or paid the fee they would continue to report to the credit bureau and that my credit would be negatively affected so I better just pay it.

Looking back, I remember going into the Hollywood Video store and returning my items about a week before they closed their doors. At that time everything in the store was a wreck, they only had one functioning computer and when I returned my items I actually asked about my account because I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't continue to be charged the monthly membership fee, since the store was going to close its doors. The clerk said that the automatic debit transactions associated with my account would cease and that I even had a credit of 86 points that I could use to purchase merchandise at another store before they too closed. I never did take that opportunity because the other location was too far away. I know for a fact my account was in good standing and the clerk never once mentioned any fees in our conversation.

I am very upset about this claim and the fact that NCS is acting like I have no rights or ability to prove my claim. How can they do this? The worst thing is the fact that I can't even talk to the original creditor, Hollywood Video, to clear my name because they went bankrupt and have no avenue for continued support or communication in this matter.

I have been doing some research and it seems that this is a huge issue with Hollywood Video customers. It needs to be taken seriously.
    I took the following steps:

- Filed a complaint with the FTC at: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/
    - Filed a complaint with my State's (WA) Attorney General's Office: http://www.atg.wa.gov/fileacomplaint.aspx (WA state link)
    - Filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau at: https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/getstarted.aspx?siteID=113
    - Filed a dispute with Experian at: http://www.experian.com/reportaccess/ (if you use this address link you can obtain a free credit report and view it instantly online as well as file a complaint within minutes)
    - Faxed a formal complaint to NCS (collections agency) stating that I had filed complaints against them with each of the agencies listed above, in order to receive full resolution in this matter.
    - Now I’m blogging on this site to spread the word and hopefully help some of you
    I will post the resolution here as well.

Good for you Jen.

Send a formal Debt Validation letter directly to NCS as well by certified mail with return receipt. Since they are based in OK, I would also file a complaint with the OK attorney general. We need to get on their radar.

Keep us updated, I will do the same.

Yesterday, I disputed everything with all three credit bureaus. I have the return receipt of my debt validation letter, so if the items do not come off my credit reports, that means that NCS is continuing collection efforts on an unvalidated debt and I can sue them in small claims court for at least $1, 000.

I plan to file the FTC complaint as well once I see what happens with regard to the credit agency disputes. I have been reluctant to file with the BBB b/c I feel that organization is useless, but I will anyway in the next few days just for completeness.

What pisses me off most about NCS is their stance that WE have to prove to THEM it's not a valid debt. This is a lie to bully people into paying.

• Pi
      Dec 09, 2010

I just had my credit report pulled and seen that there was a debt for hollywood video that was paid in full and it shows I still owe them money when it was paid at the hollywood video store here in middletown, CT. It shows up that I still own them money, this is pure bull crap. Im in the process in takeing action to have this debt removed. And I will take what I have read from this site and take further actions like everyone else up here this is not fair for these people to bully us like this and make us pay a debt that was already paid or in some other cases not there debt at all.

• Cb
      Dec 10, 2010

We are in the same boat! Just found out via our credit report of a collection with NCS for HV on late returned movies from 2009. We never received a notice, letter, call etc. We have just filed a complaint with our Attorney General. I will also file a complaint with the BBB and FTC. This is criminal and will not be tolerated. We have worked very hard to keep a blemish free credit history and I will fight this until it is expunged from our credit file!

Dec 13, 2010

I just submitted a complaint with the FTC for this. Hopefully someone can get some headway with getting this company investigated. If it comes down to it I will seek legal representation. I have no problem paying whatever debts I owe, but for some company to try to scam us into paying a debt...that's just sickening!

• Di
      Dec 15, 2010

A mi me sucedio exactamente lo mismo, no se k hacer tengo años cuidando mi credito, para k unas estupidas compañias o personas me lo echen a perder. Nunca recibi alguna notificacion de k yo debia algo, sino de casualidad pedi un aumento de linea de credito a Home Depot, y me lo negaron. Estuve investigando porque y encontre k debia $ 168.00, cuando hable a Experian una persona me dijo k hollywood video reportó k yo debia eso. Quiero agregar k la tienda de hollywood video k yo acudia a rentar videos o juegos fue cerrada hace como 5 meses, y segun la coleccion sucedio en noviembre 2010. SI alguien me puede ayudar, k tengo k hacer no quiero k mi credito se dañe.