Hollywood Video / Exorbitant fee, deceptive business practices

Hollywood Video
www.hollywoodvideo.com

-Rented 3 movies in 2006

-Returned them, maybe a little late. I sometimes return videos late and just pay the fee next time I try to rent. Usually is only a few bucks.

-I moved a lot for work (within the U.S. and just returned from a stint abroad). However, my billing address has always been my parent's home. They open up my mail and call me about anything important. They never called about anything to do with video rentals.

-Recently tried to rent at the local Hollywood store I've been going to for the past 10 years.

-Was informed about these 3 rentals.

-Long story short - the manager on duty was so rude and was deliberately shouting at me in order get everyone's attention. She wouldn't tell me how much I owed, she just called me a "liar" and a "thief" and said the "only problem is on your end."

-I just walked out of the store. I've never been so embarrassed and stunned in my life.

My worry is this following:

-When I entered the store, I said "Hi" to one of the teenage clerks reporting to this manager. The clerk said Hi back and then I heard him say to another clerk, "Wow, this person speaks English!" I'm not sure what to make of that comment, but I can't help but think there's some sort of prejudice (FYI: I'm U.S.-born, 100% proud American citizen with no accent.)

-I have one Hollywood late fee letter from 2005, about videos I've already settled. I've read on complaints.com and other websites that Hollywood and Blockbuster deliberately delay actively pursuing collections for a while, in order to compound the late fees. Is that true? If so, I guess it would be better for me to pay off whatever the fee is, but I'm scared that the amount will be into the hundreds of dollars because it's 3 videos and they were due in 2006. It's now late 2007...

-The manager said that their collections agency tried to contact me, but I didn't receive any mail or calls and my contact info has always been the same.

-I recently got all three of my credit reports. Not a mention on any of them from Hollywood Video or their collectors ("Credit Protection Agency", unless I got the name wrong).

-I called Hollywood customer service (did not give them ANY info about me). The rep was, no surprise, very rude as well. She said that I had to go into that particular store to settle my account, but, and I'm sure you'll all understand my feeling on this, I don't ever want to step foot into that store again. She said that she could forward me to collections, but I don't want to deal with those "people" either.

Should I just stay silent and only fight this if they ever do find me? Or should I just pay whatever exorbitant fee to get them off my back (naturally, I'm going to end my membership)?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Va

Comments

• Sh
      21st of Oct, 2007

Holly wood Video is filled with people who have no customer service skills, this is not to say each and everyone of them but it is to say in my experience the majority of them are lacking in professional trading and basic human decorum. Having said that I think that to get their attention you should pursue your complaint. Call the Corporate Office and get the number for the District Manger. Inform them about the racist comment ( English speaking crap) and let them no that you can make a complaint with the Human Rights Commission which you can) It will have to be investigated and I'm sure they don't want that. Also demand a written apology from the person who called you a liar the corporate office should be made aware of how they are treating its customers.

I will be dealing with them on another issue this week and will post the results.

• Je
      5th of Dec, 2007

I hope you got your problem taken care of by now, but just in case-late fees stop accruing after about 45 -50 days and the account is sent to collections. they also stop as soon as the movie is turned in and you are not charged any extra for the late fee sitting on the account. if the movie was turned in before the account went to a "coporate" staus there would have been no maile notification.

• Co
      16th of Jun, 2008

To whom this may concern
    My eye's are very bad and cannot read small print
    when I'm looking for a movie, most of all the movies are in there own sections, but to tell you the truth you
    need a section for foreign films. Most americans don't
    read, write, speak any other language but english.
    It would sure help the ones with bad eyesight to be able to go to the sections that are english spoken films.
    I get very angry for the price we pay to see a movie
    that I don't unerstand and cannot read fast enough to
    even watch it.
    Would you please look into making a section for the foreign films.
    Thank you for taking the time to read this.
    Sincerely
    Connie McGuire

• Sh
      8th of Mar, 2009

SATURDAY, 03/07/09...
    I RENTED TWO VIDEOS FROM HOLLYWOOD VIDEOS. I WAS INFORMED THAT I HAD A LATE VIDEO FROM LAST JUNE 2008 WHICH I KNEW WAS WRONG AS I TURNED IT IN AFTER TWO DAYS! THE MAN, SHAUN, SAID I WOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO RENT ANYTHING UNLESS I PAID THE LATE FEE!! SO I DID BECAUSE I HAD MY GRANDDAUGHTER WITH ME. WE TRIED TO VIEW BOTH FILMS AND THEY DID NOT WORK. THEY BOTH STOP/STARTED CONSTANTLY, SO WE STOPPED TRYING TO WATCH. I CALLED THE MANAGER WHO SAID THEY WOULD NOT RETURN MY MONEY BUT WOULD LET ME RENT THE SAME MOVIES ONLY AGAIN AND BLAMED MY DVD PLAYER WHICH IS NEW AND PLAYS EVERY OTHER VIDEO FINE EVEN AFTER THE OTHERS FAILED!
    I AM FURIOUS AND INTEND TO FILE A COMPLAINT
    THIS IS HOLLYWOOD VIDEO IN ALISO VIEJO, CALIFORNIA AND THE THREE EMPLOYEES WERE SOOOOO RUDE AND ABSOLUTE NASTY!

SHEREE WILKINSON
    ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEON BUSINESS MANAGER
    ALISO VIEJO, CALIFORNIA

• Va
      6th of Aug, 2009

I have had nothing but problems with my hollywood video and will never go back again. I have paid late fees more than once on the same late movies or games I returned. I tried talking to them about it but the said I would have had to keep my receipt to prove it. I asked them why they even had a computer system. A couple of weeks ago they said I had some late fees from a year ago, that I have never heard of till now, and I also had started their stupied power play a couple months ago to erase late fees. wow, how well that worked. the movies were something I had never heard of before so I have no idea what that is about. I will never go back to hollywood again.

• Re
      14th of Oct, 2010

I got home today and received a letter stating I owe $219.00 for 3 games and 1 movie!!! I rented those months ago, probably last year now I get a letter from a collection agency stating I owe this money!!! I turned in those games and movie!! i am so pissed right now! I called the collection agency and they told me nothing. I would have to contact the corporate office! Now tell me if they are all out of business who am I going to talk to??? Does anyone know a address or phone number to call. I am not paying for movies that they have. I rented movies after this and was told about any late fees or anything. I think they are trying to get money out of people!!!

• Ck
      20th of Oct, 2010

I to just received a bill today from a collection agency claiming I owe Hollywood Video $130.00 for 3 X-box games which they claim I never returned. I have always returned anything I have every rented and owe these people NOTHING. I'm beginning to think this is some type of scam by Hollywood to try to bail themselves out. I to called the collection agency and they told me to call the corporate office but as the previous comment stated no one seems to know the phone number!! Anyone have any luck with phone numbers I'd greatly appreciate it. I will not be paying these people a dime.

• Be
      17th of Jan, 2011

i just recieved the same phone call from a collection agency stateing the same thing owed late fees for movies and games i never rented and i was renting until one day i went into the store and they said no more renting because were going out of business so how can i owe 309.00 in late fees and still rent ????? and the collection lady told me to prove it how hollywood video is closed so she said i"ll send u paper work on it and hung up on me who do these businesses think they are and how can they get away with it and there is no number to call what do u do

• St
      8th of Feb, 2011

I also received a collection notice for 230.00. The collection notice says nothing about what I owe money for. I tried calling 503-570-1600 which is the corporate office in Wilsonville, OR. It said the business is no longer in operation. The voice mail said to send an email to customerrequest@hlyd.com and of course that email was returned. I know I owe Hollywood Video nothing. In fact they owe me money from having a credit with them when they decided to go out of business. I bought hundreds of dollars in dvd's from them I felt that was the right thing to do. However, this is not right.