Hollywood Video / bad customer service

1 Silverdale, WA, United States Review updated:

When I went into the store it was a Friday night right after work. My feet hurt and I was not planning on looking around if it was too busy. When I entered the store there was not a lot of customers so I decided to stay and choose a movie to take home. My husband and stood in line for nearly 15 minutes without anyone saying a word to us. The person in front of us thought they had an account so they spent a few minutes looking up various phone numbers and names but apparently ended up not have an account so they decided to open one up. Instead of the cashier asking them to politely step to the side so they could help the next person while they filled out the paperwork she stood there and waited as a line of 10 or more people formed. She didn't even acknowledge that she would be with us as soon as she could. There was another gentleman behind the counter checking movies in. After waiting for 15 minutes I decided to ask if there was someone else who could help us. They said unfortunately she had the only till open. I couldn't beleive that on a FRIDAY night they would have only 1 single till open. Finally after finishing with the new customers I came to the counter where the young lady gave me a dirty look. I had enough at that point and asked for their corporate phone number. The young lady starting rummaging through papers on the counter top behind her looking for the phone number. As she did that the gentleman decided to jump on the register and asked me to step aside so he could help the next person so i looked at him and said "you should have asked the last person to do the same thing" So because i was asking for a phone number to report this bad customer service i was treated differently than other customers. I felt like i was being discriminated against. The girl couldn't find the phone number so she called her manager over the phone and asked for the coporate number. The manager asked why and she told her because there is a customer who wants it. Obvisouly the manager asked what the problem was because the girl said "she had to wait because someone was opening an account" She jotted down a phone number and gave it to me. I left and while sitting in my car immediately called the number. It was the wrong number. I went back into the store and the gentleman asked me what i needed and i told him it was the wrong phone number. So he asked the girl what the correct number was and she said it was the regional managers phone number not corporate. I asked if they had a corporate phone number and she said "no". How can any business as big [censored]lywood video not have a corporate phone number?? I then went back to my car and left a message for this regional manager to please call me. I have yet to receive a call back. This was over 3 weeks ago.

Comments

•   Oct 20, 2006
    Hollywood Video - Hollywood Video robbed me of $200

Early this week I was reviewing my very busy monthly Visa card statement. I noticed charges from Hollywood Video that I did not recognize. I called my credit card company and found out they have been charging me the same amount for 15 months. Credit card company told me they could only dispute 3 months of charges. Hollywood Video confirmed thier mistake and told me the best they would do was to credit back six months of charges. When I told them I would sue them they said they would deny me the six month refund if I did. I accepted their six month credit and planned to fight them again after I got the six month refund. Tonight I was watching 20/20 and learned about another effective method of fighting for my refund. That method, of course, is the Internet. I want all 15 months credit returned to me. It is over $200. And a six month refund is not fair or enough. Once again the big company threatens me in to their take it or leave it offer.

• Th
      Nov 13, 2007
    Hollywood Video - Movie not returned???

This company has informed me that I did not turn in a video that I DID return. I not only returned the video along with the others that day, the clerk and I talked about what a funny movie it was. I remember that clearly. I did not see her check it in since she was talking to me and checking out a customer at the same time.

Point is: The video was returned to their store. Twenty days later, I got a notice in the mail saying I did not return this particular video, the one that the employee and I discussed. I called and talked to an employee there (not the same one). She was rude, insinuating that I was the one at fault, I MUST have it at home, and that I owed for 27 days. I asked for their corporate number - she says they don't have "a corporate" ????
    OMG
    Then I asked her who governs the store she works in. She finally calls over a manager. He is pleasant and says they will "look" for the video. I ask him what happens if he does not "find" the video. He says I will owe $14.99 for the video and the overdue charges will be "forgiven".

Okay....

IF they do not find a video that I definitely did turn in, I will have to PAY???

I do a lot of business with this store however, no more. The rudeness and lack of customer service is not surprising. The caliper of people they hire is scary.

Hollywood video, you have just lost ANOTHER customer.

• Xy
      Jan 29, 2008

Quit crying and man up! Its your fault

•   May 19, 2008
    Hollywood Video - They've stolen my money
    www.hollywoodvideo.com

Today I went to the Hollywood Video located right up the road from where I live like I usually do (almost weekly) and will never go there again.

First we were told that had over $8 in late fees from some things that we rented at least 2 months ago. I am never late with my movie because I drive past this location almost daily anyway. Plus, in the many times we have rented since then, we have never been told that we had any late fees.

Then we got the same candy we also get that they put into special bundle pricing and were charged full price (almost double) what we usually pay and what they have advertised. We were informed that they changed which candies applied for the bundle. That would be fine but there is no signing to tell you that things have changed or anything telling you which candies do apply to the special pricing.

We paid it any way and also rented a video game with a free rental coupon that was in a mail-out ad. We then left after paying.

We got home and took out the receipt to put it away and noticed that we had been charged $.25 for a play guard fee on the game. This fee is optional on all games and movie rentals. I know this because not only have I been renting games frequently from this same location, but also because there is a sign sitting on their registers stating this. ("Add play-guard on your rental for an additional $.25.")

We then returned to the store to tell them that we did not authorize that charge and that we wanted our money back. The employee then told us that it was a mandatory charge on all of the game rentals for next generation gaming consoles. Again, this is obviously a lie because of my previous experiences and the sign that was clearly sitting right in front of my face.

The employee was also very unprofessional in dress. He was wearing a black polo shirt with a design on it. The shirt was un-tucked and faded. I had to ask him for his name because he was not wearing a name tag. He was wearing nothing identifying him as an employee what-so-ever.

He told me his name was Collins. I am only assuming that this is his last name. I know from previous jobs that employers should identify themselves by their first name. Sounds to me like he didn't want us to know his name for fear of our complaints.

So after being stolen from, lied to, and given horrible service, I will never go to Hollywood Video again. Which is actually a huge inconvenience since I now have to go out of my way to a different rental store. Have emailed their corporate complaints office and am awaiting their response.

•   Jul 22, 2008
    Hollywood Video - Poor service
    hollywoodvideo.com

Use two video stores and returned videos in on time, but wrong store. These are two California franchises (Antelope and Citrus Heights) Been a long-time customer and accounts have addresses and phone. Neither called or wrote late notice. Hadn't rented videos there for 45 days, so when we did, we got a lovely late fee bill for over $100! We had to pay the bill, but called corporate office, who advised us the videos were STILL at the wrong store and we would be charged daily until we returned. Another $5 in gas later, we went to the video store to retrieve and return, but they said the had already been returned, WTF? I will file a formal complaint. I rarely ever complain, but sometimes, like today, I will! Thanks for letting me vent!

Aug 24, 2008
    Hollywood Video - Late fees on Cd movie returned on time
    690 S Cooper Rd
    Gilbert
    Arizona
    Phone: 480 813 0822

We went to rent a movie from Hollywood Video and we had late charges of 17.oo dollars. We had not rented a movie since June and we do not have the movie we returned it. Some one else rented the movie and they did not give us credit for returning the movie and put late charges on our account. The girl working took half of the charges off but thats not the point I was charged for something that I did not do. She indicated that it happened a lot at that store. What I think is friends rent the movies and char it to someone account.

This is the same thing that Blockbuster did to us a few years ago and the customer has no recourse except to stand and watch them check back in the movies you return. Wasting our time . Mary Techau

• Ir
      Sep 23, 2008

I'm not alone! We've rented DVD's from HV for years with no problems whatsoever. Now, after I distinctly remember dropping the DVD in their outdoor metal bin, I get a bill for $36.73. They did call first and left a message; I called immediately. The girl said she hasn't had time to look for it but that all the movies had been scanned in and the one I rented was missing. I assured her it was returned. She took my name/number. I went into the store a day later, same girl, she remembered speaking to me; said she still had not had time to search thoroughly. Ok, no problem. She'll call me. 2 wks later the bill arrives. I'm disputing with letter to corporate and copying the Attorney General's Consumer Protection office for possible DTPA violations. Sounds scammy and friends have told me they experienced the exact same thing. I didn't care for the movie and it wasn't worth $10 - much less $36.73!!

• Bi
      Sep 30, 2008

as an ex-employee for HV i understand your issues. it is usually the employees fault. i know I messed up a lot when i first started and forgot to check in movies before i put them out on the shelves or the movie was lost in the outside bin. i feel that i was a more careful employee who did not want to screw over our customers and since i hate the company and everything it stood for i began giving free rentals and took off late fees to make up for my mistakes. oh and if you ever get sick of us trying to up-sale you or annoy you with play-guard it's because if we don't we get "written up" and if we get "written up" enough times we get fired. it's a ### job. that's why most employees don't care. and i'm sure we are all glad to know that HV is officially bankrupt (has been for years) and is closing stores all around the nation.

• Co
      Oct 02, 2008
    Hollywood Video - E-4 Policy
    Greensboro
    North Carolina

Hollywood Video's E-4 policy sucks. Why do you make it hard on your employees if they don't ask me as a customer a certain question? This should be illegal to fire someone for not asking a question. As a longtime customer of Hollywood it is very annoying to have the same question asked over & over again. E-4 is ok for the executives trying to keep the store in business and make a profit, but what about your employees who probably consist of striving students and retirees. I personally think your executives need to go back to the drawing board or round table to re-think this absurd policy. My son is 18, college student but I would not allow him to work for your company with these policies.
    I really feel sorry for your hard working employees and I know the turn over is humongous.
    E-4 should stand for Earn, Executive, Expense, Every-time

714 W Onstott Rd.
    Yuba City
    California
    Phone: 5307519194

I usually experience great customer service, but lately not so good. I understand the need to update and that they probably have their share of employee turnover, but when you encounter difficulties with the same individual each time, it becomes obvious the problem lies with them and not you...and this person is store director, which means she probably affects the other employees as well as the customers. All I want is professionalism (not personal questions) and friendly customer service (not disdainful looks and an uppity disposition ). I mean, isn't that in their job description?

• Un
      Nov 06, 2008

are you really that stupid? you didnt notice the extra charges for 15 months? you ###in idiot. you deserve to be ripped off.. hey, whats your credit card #? hahahah

• Ph
      Nov 12, 2008

This used to happen to me when I worked for HV. But I can not tell you how many times the customer was wrong. Let me elaborate. Some lady came in and insisted she had returned something and blew up in my face over it. I was actually very calm about it and told her i would go see if it was just accidently overlooked, and was on the shelf. If it was there no problem, I'd take care of it. Well, it wasn't there. I even checked the mis-matched/empty case bin. No luck. I said i would keep looking for it and call her if it was found. I told her in the meantime to check at home, in the car, etc. she proceeded to yell at me and insist that we screwed up, then she stormed out of the store, cursing and yelling. I was soo embarrassed. I did hold to what I said. After a few days of the DVD not turning up, i called her and told her it couldn't be found. She yelled at me on the phone and said she was going to call her lawyer. Then, lo and behold 2 days later she came in with the DVD. I asked her what happened, and she said she found it under the backseat of her car, under some bags. This was after she told me she'd already checked the car. I told her I would take off 1 of the 3 rent cycles we charged her. I also told her how embarrassed I was with her behavior, and she was very apologetic. So the moral of the story is to check everywhere it could possibly be before flying off the handle. You could end up finding the movie and not looking like a jerk in the process.

• Ke
      Nov 28, 2008

I was a store manager for Hollywood Video for a couple of years. I have to agree with Phil who posted previously. Of my experience I would say that 99% of the issues where movies are magically not checked in, the customer still has it in their possession. Were there times when an employee made a mistake and the movie was found on the shelf? Of course, but that is why we have FOS (found on shelf) checks after a movie is three days late - you find the movie sitting on the shelf and check it in without a late fee, and the customer doesn't even get a call.

Most of the time, a customer would come in as Phil said, curse you and call you every name in the book. Usually this occurs on a busy Friday or Saturday night with a store full of other customers. Then they are back on Monday turning in the movie and apologizing and expecting you to not charge them any late fees. Those are the people I charged fees to, if someone legitimately forgot the due date or something came up and you came in and talked to me, I was a very forgiving person. Of course that's why after all the store closures mine is still open I guess.

I will say that whoever said "the customer is always right" was definitely wrong, because in the movie rental business it is definitely not the case. But with that said, you have to handle each situation individually and with customer service and your business in mind as well as the customer's view.

• Da
      Dec 08, 2008
    Hollywood Video - Customer beware
    Orem
    Utah

My family rents videos to watch together on occasion. Usually we go through Netflix, but sometimes we'll hit one of the local rental stores. Recently, we got four DVDs from Hollywood Video, watched them, and returned them. We all -know- we returned them. Everyone gathered them up together and sent them off with my dad. He did nothing else on the trip; it was solely to return the DVDs. He put them in the outside bin, and that should have been that.

About a month later, we got a bill in the mail, charging ridiculously high late fees as well as demanding payment to replace those four videos. Hollywood Video was claiming that we never returned the disks. We called to dispute. The employee we dealt with first at least tried to be helpful, suggesting that the returned videos may have been lost in the bin. However, no one at the store seemed able to track down the missing videos, and the bill kept growing. We had no reassurance that anyone was even actually checking on our behalf. Further attempts to seek help, or resolve the issue, met with blunt rudeness and accusation. One employee we dealt with went so far as to list possible (and very insulting) reasons we would have had to steal the videos, while claiming that their people couldn't have any motivation to do so, "since they get free rentals." Uh-huh. In short, with the exception of the first person we talked to only, our dispute was handled in a completely antagonistic manner.

We had little recourse. The disks were long out of our hands, and Hollywood Video had a database that laid the blame on us. It was our word verses theirs, and the fact that many people -do- try to scam the video place had us cast in the light of "guilty until proven innocent, " in their eyes.

Eventually, we were able to settle the matter by paying the replacement price on the disks themselves, with the stacked late fees waived. However, that was still $50 we did not rightfully owe.

No matter how the disks were actually lost, (and they -were- lost some point -after- we returned them to the store, ) this incident proved two things to me. One: that Hollywood Video has nothing built into their returns system to protect the customer from potential system or employee error, and Two: they don't care.

I won't deal with any company that has an antagonistic attitude towards customers, especially when they have the power to levy fees. That's a stupid way to run a business, and any customers who decide to deal with them are putting themselves at risk.

It doesn't matter what percent of an erroneous fee a company offers to waive. If this is how they do business, I will not be doing business with them again. I encourage everyone else to be wary, at least until Hollywood Video can prove it actually -cares- about its customers.

Hollywood Video, you need to figure out a better way to run. From now on, I'm sticking with Netflix.

Dec 22, 2008
    Hollywood Video - Racism
    2875 S. Nellis Blvd. #5
    Las Vegas
    Nevada

At 12:30 PM I walked into the store to try to get a membership with my Arizona state ID I was told I needed a Nevada ID when previously I had been told that they only required any state issued ID so after I was denied membership I went into a different Hollywood Video and there I was easily able to get membership with my Arizona state ID but unfortunately they didnt have the movie I wanted I went back to the first place where I knew they had it the guy working there treated me disrespectfuly and me being Hispanic I felt he was being racist against me because even though I had the membership he wouldn't take it telling me his computer wasn't working but right after me he courteously helped a cacuasian family and told me he couldnt help me after I confronted him about it This was the worst experience I've ever encountered.

Dec 24, 2008
    Hollywood Video - Unauthorized transaction from my Bank
    611 S Cumberland
    Lebanon
    Tennessee
    Phone: 615-453-1577

We have been going to Hollywood Video for many years we went in yesterday and was told they needed a copy of my Credit card on file in case we do not return there movies I told them I did not want to do that and was told we could not get any movies if we did not give it to them so my wife said go ahead and do it well we rented about 42 dollars in movies which is about normal for us 9 Movies for the weekend well to I was checking my Bank account and we have a extra 1 dollar charge to our account my wife goes to the store they tell her it is a charge to put our credit card Number on file what a bunch of bull I called there consumer call line and the Person said we should have been told there was a charge to put our number on file I told her I did not authorize this charge and want it put back into my account her reply whats the Big deal it's only a Dollar yes it is only a Dollar for Each persons account so we loose a Dollar and the gain Hundreds yes it might be only on dollar I am checking into the legal aspect of this I feel this is theft

Jan 07, 2009

The dollar fee is refunded to you...so dont trip man.

Jan 07, 2009

The database files are completely different in all the stores...different stores different systems...you probably waited to long and when you first complained either an employee probably picked up the movie or the other store returned it...

• Ne
      Mar 03, 2009

HV has charge me over $100 for a new release it stayed on my credit i try to resolve it with the managers, then i was told to call the 1-800# and talk to the headquaters it was never resolve. I t stayed on my credit for 7 or 8 years. I was young 18so it really hurt me and follow me for years. Ever since i have not returned to rent with them well guess what 3months ago same thing happen at blockbuster my credit card was charge 35dollars for a old movie. it sucks the managers never fixed it life sucks specially now life and the economy is bad cant afford to go to the movie theather pcccccccccc

• Lo
      Apr 08, 2009
    Hollywood Video - bad decision made by employee
    hollywood video
    90 street/shea
    Scottsdale
    Arizona
    Phone: 602-661-6265

On April 7 2017 at 12:20 pm I went to H.V. as I always do on Tuesdays to get the new releases before the weekend. I was ready to check out and as I approach the clerk I asked him if he has the movies on blue-ray at that time. He looked at me with a bad attitude and said if its not on the shelve we dont have it without even looking on the return movies. I said well sometimes they look if they have one but he was upset and said no maam wedont have it.Well ok I said anyways I'm gonna take them all. He start throwing the movies on the table and he looked so mad that I thought he was going to punch me..So as a bussiness owner myself.I smiled and said on a calm way that he doesn't have to be mad about it, it was only a question and I asked to speak with the manager.He said the manager was not available and he was not going to rent to me ever ..So I decided to wait for the manager..He started making a phone call and I realized he was calling the police on me..Very calmly I waited for the police..Never ever was the manager present at the store, I was treated as a criminal by a lazy young boy..in front of all the customers..and now they want to give me free rent??? Nope..I'm a very respectable lady and I will not accept this kind of treatment..I'm gonna take this case to the civil court and I'm gonna sue everybody involved and I'm SPEAKING TRULY CAUSE MY HUSBAND IS A LAWYER AND YOU JOSH MESSED WITH THE WRONG WOMAN. Is that the way you treat your customers??? See you in court..

May 16, 2009

Did you check the shelf first for the Blu-Ray? At 12:20 pm, I'm sure he didn't have a lot of returns behind the counter so he probably had a mental inventory of what was there.

May 16, 2009

It's a dollar hold, to authorize the account. Gas stations do the same thing when you pre-pay at the pump with a card. Calm down.

May 16, 2009

Wow... Did your method work by some miracle?

May 16, 2009

4 movies went missing? Yeah.. If it's one movie, that could've been any kind of mistake. But 4? There's no way. You must have returned them to the wrong store or something.

May 16, 2009

It is your responsibility as a customer to return them to the right store. You return it to the wrong store, and they will have no idea who returned it. Inventory, bar codes, databases are different. The address for the store is on the bar code, read it before you return it.

• Gi
      May 16, 2009

regardless, they should recognize it as being a mistake and not something they could expect a customer to pay $100 in late fees for. Talk about greedy..

• Sl
      Jul 12, 2009

As a current Hollywood Video employee I agree 100%! The employee abuse only gets worse as new money hungry corporate exec's take over. Emloyees will be written up or even terminated for not only asking customers to purchase various items and programs, but also for not knowing how much money "they" think the store should make that day. In addition they cut labor but still want more and more done. In these hard times what is one to do:? I know what most want to do. I really don't know how they sleep at night knowing they are treating the hearts of the company like slaves. Then again they probably sleep fine in thier multi million dollar homes. I know they are breaking laws with all of the threats and mis-treatmentl, but who do we turn to?
    Slave #456

• He
      Jul 12, 2009

always go with netflix, they are a good deal and they W-O-R-K!

Jul 28, 2009

As a former Hollywood employee I do feel your pain. I was always working by myself and I felt very overwhelmed when I would get a line of people. I think there is too much going on for one person to handle and it wasn't fair to you that you were not greeted on the sales floor by an associate. The weekends are however our busiest nights and there should ALWAYS be two people open on the register. I'm sorry to hear about your experience but you can complain on the Hollywood video website by filling out a survey.
    Best wishes.

Jul 28, 2009

I was just recently fired from HV and I'm glad I'm out. The company has too many broken policies. I was basically fired for not promoting our POWERPLAY system to everyone. Considering the program has been altered 3-4 times since April its just plain out stupid!
    I do feel that both my boss and corporate cheated me out of a job and demanded too much for one person to handle by themself. I too felt like I was underappreciated and mistreated---and yes they are breaking laws!!
    Slave2HV I feel your pain and I hope your able to get out too before things get worse.
    Best Wishes.

-Former employee from HV in AZ

• Mg
      Aug 02, 2009

Oh my gah! I know how you feel. I work for Movie Gallery which is basically the same thing and I am getting tired of being threatened with being wrote up for not selling at least one powerplay every time I work or being fired if I don't sell any. Even if you offer it to everyone they are getting to the point that if you don't force someone to buy it you are gonna be fired. Most people who purchase this are going to be regular customers anyway...and they already know about it and have made up their mind if they want it or not. People just want to come in and rent a movie and get out. Not be bombarded with questions when they get to the counter...Did you bring in anything to trade?, have we told you about powerplay?, do you want to preorder any movies?, what about some snacks?...I mean seriously.

• Mi
      Aug 03, 2009

Hollywood Video WILL make unauthorized charges against your account if they have a credit card number on which to charge. DO NOT under any circumstances use a credit card at their stores. I had a plan with them for over 4 years and they were changing plans. I did not want any of the new plans, so I figured the contract was ended and there would be no further charges against my account. Bot, was I wrong! They changed me to the new plan, WITHOUT my approval, and proceeded to charge me for the new plan. They are without a doubt a bunch ot fraudulent criminals.

• Ni
      Aug 19, 2009

Im a worker at Hollywood Video, and i am really sorry about how they treated. Normally our associates would ask the person opening the acct to step aside to help the line flow. The one reason I could think of for there only being one register open, is if you came in an hour before closing. Alot of our stores need time to begin closing the store, so we require them to close all tils besides one so that one employee can begin closing. I do know why they gave you the regional number though. A lot of times district managers would like to deal with the customers on their level so that the complaint doesnt go to the main offices. Going through the district/regional manager is a lot better than going through corporate b/c they will WANT to fix your problem and you are dealing with the Boss of all the stores in that location and he/she wouldnt want a bad rep for their region. Hope this helps at all :) Again, I am sorry for the way you were treated.

• Ho
      Aug 20, 2009
    Hollywood Video - Who has a picture id under 16?

So, I am a student who goes to Hollywood Video a lot. My mom has an account there and I ride my bike to the store sometimes and rent movies there. However, my mother has a problem with returning movies and has so many late fees her account had been locked. So, having been going there so much I figured I'd just open up my own account. I am a kid, and therefore have no driver's license and no picture IDs of myself. I have showed the employees there many, many, many regular IDs that say my name on it, like health care cards and such (I've even gone as far a yearbook pictures) and they will not make me an account. Also, the fact that my mom has an account there and we have the same last name and address also means nothing to them. They always state that it is just "policy." There are no rules against anyone under 16 getting an account there. So, i ask you, why are corporations like this so against kids having accounts there, just to rent movies?

• Me
      Aug 20, 2009

Not really sure what to tell you here! I would suggest getting your mother to drive you over to the DMV and getting an id card. Better yet, sign up for Netflix! haha (Don't mind me advertising!) : ) I am a huge movie fan also and use to use my moms account (even with all the late fees!) I have never had any issues with Netflix and they don't charge that much either! I would say it's a lot more convenient to just pick the movies you want online then having to deal with the ###s that work that the video stores! Good luck!

Aug 20, 2009

Uhhh you better get some Netflix or something. I had picture ID from the DMV when I was 15 and that was like 15 years ago so it can be done hunny. Anyways you are too young they cannot enter into a contract with a minor they can be sued they will not risk this.

Sep 02, 2009

@ mike Donn - When the plans switched over from MVP to PowerPlay, mailers were sent out to ALL MVP holders and each MVP member was given a FREE first month of the equivalent plan under PowerPlay. If you had rented SINCE MVP, they would have told you that.

Sep 03, 2009

I work at a Hollywood Video, just to let you know a few facts. 9 times out of 10, your late. We do miss movies, it happens, they wind up on the shelves, but once they show up the late fees AUTOMATICALLY F.O.S (Found on Shelf, automatically are removed.) I don't know how many times I hear a irate customer say they are never late. Just FYI, we have a record of how many times you've ever been late, so that card doesn't fly. I once had a customer hand me movies that were late and leave before I could check them in, only to return ranting and raving about how those movies definitely weren't two days late, how we are "always doing this" yaddaa yadda yadda. When I point out that I checked them in, at such and such time, they usually shut up.

As for the customer service there, I'm not sure how your store (well I guess ex-store)'s service is, but I know my store and staff excel and being knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. That said, rental retail is one of the worst customer service jobs to have in the retail industry, and it's mainly because of the customers. 10% of the customers are great, but the rest have these pre-conceptions of the workers that are hard to shake. We are expected to know everything about a movie, somehow have watched every movie, be expedient in our job and always resolve a customers problem. It doesn't sound difficult, but when every Tom, Dick and Jane come in with the same BS sob story about how their movies aren't late, or those late fees from a few months ago shouldn't be there, or whenever a movies late somebody must've rented on their account because it SURELY wasn't them. e.e Get over it, your late, now get off your damn high-horse and pay what you owe, thanks.

• Td
      Sep 11, 2009
    Hollywood Video - Movie not returned???
    Severna Park
    Maryland

I'm not alone! I''ve rented DVD's from HV for years with no problems whatsoever until now. I returned two DVDs, early (meaning before the due date) in their outdoor metal bin. Then I get a post card stating that one DVD was not returned. I immediatelly called the Severna Park store and informed them that they made a mistake, and the HV employee said their system never makes mistakes. I then called the HV 800 customer service number, and after waiting almost 30 minutes on hold, I informed them of my problem and that the DVD was returned. Spoke to a woman; she says they just had a new system installed within the last two weeks. Also, that the store manager where I rented the DVD was recently let go. She took my name/number and I was informed that my testimony would be referred to the district manager and I would receive a call back in two to three days. 2 wks later the bill arrives, and no return phone call HV. The bill is requesting payment of $45.51 for the DVD, and if I don't respond, they may charge my bank card. I'm disputing with letter to corporate and copying the Attorney General's Consumer Protection office and better business bureau. I use to like HV, but after reading several similar complaints, it sounds like an easy wasy to scam people.

• Ha
      Sep 22, 2009

I've worked for Hollywood Video and the $1.00 charge is to make sure your account is valid so that if and when a movie is not returned, and still has not been returned by the three notifications that they did not just lose a piece of their inventory they do not make money off of.