Holland and Barrett / Worst customer service at store

1 102 Market Street, Manchester, M1 1PBManchester, England, Lancashire, United Kingdom Review updated:
Phone: 0161 819 5561

I bought “Organic Muesli” from this store, and while eating I found the fine sand kind of material in it, when I went to store to return the product I spoke tio the store manager and I am really sorry to say that the customer service at below store is very very bad, they are very very rude to the customers.

I am not happy the way the store manager argued with me, and he also had a tiff with another customer who was trying to explain my point. I am really sorry to say that they lost customers because of their rude behaviour with customers.

I suggest not to visit this store if you are looking for good customer service.

Sr

Comments

• Al
      18th of Nov, 2010
    Holland & Barrett In Ambleside - banishment without grounds
    Holland & Barrett
    Ambleside
    England, Cumbria
    United Kingdom

I recently did a trial period as supervisor but was let go "Because I hadn't finished the work books in the 13 weeks they require" but I'd not yet been there 13 weeks and my books were all but complete, apart from the required managers signature at the end of each section. I left without causing a scene or fighting my point because it was obvious the manager disliked me- although that was the first time I got that impression from her, and I'm sure no one wants to work under those malicious conditions. My complaint, however, is that I've recently discovered that, I as well as my partner, are now banned from the shop? I can't think of any reason for this aside from the manager being vindictive; I created no scene, committed no crimes. Or is it just common practice to ban every ex-employee? I'd like to know if the manager's allowed to ban people randomly whenever she decides she dislikes them.

• Mo
      7th of Feb, 2013

The online service is not good either. On trying to use their buy one, buy another for a penny offer and claim a reward voucher I was not able to make any sense of the online ordering service. I have sent two emails which have not been answered. So that's another long term customer lost.

• Rp
      5th of Feb, 2014

I would like to complain about service received in Victoria station shop today. I asked for diet pills and I got a lecture about there being no magic pills and no advice on the products the store actually had shelved. The shop assistant even looked into my shopping bag from pret a manger and 'inspected' what I had in my bag. I felt under the Spanish inquisition for purchasing my lovingly handmade and calorie controlled food which mainly consisted of fruit anyway...I do not feel like being asked what I eat or do by some random guy I know nothing of... How patronising is this? Who does he think he is for looking into my bag? In short I did not buy anything because - poor me- I was in a hurry to work ( 8.45 in the morning Victoria station: where does he think people are going?) - I am not walking into that shop ever again -total waste of time -

• Di
      9th of Mar, 2014

I have worked for Holland and Barrett for about a year now and I can say that it is easily the worst company I have ever worked for. The company expects its newly recruited staff to complete tests and 3 encyclopedic sized work books; 1 of which to be completed within 4 weeks (which isn't likely to be done, I can say that).
    Then the company purely tells staff members to fabricate customer's stories and "make them your own experiences" in order to sell products. I, personally, have been told by my Area Manager to "make up stories" in order to reach my financial targets throughout the working day.

Training Updates are given to staff monthly. These Training Updates are often extremely random. One, on the other hand, stuck with me more than the rest. It was a 'media update' which explained some form of media was negatively discussing a product which Holland and Barrett offers. The message I gained from this Training Update was to prepare myself to defend the product in question by responding to any customer enquires saying "there are no tested performed which indicates that this product does NOT work". The product in question was raspberry ketones.
    Having taken the time to try a lot of the products myself, I can honestly say that 98% of product Holland and Barrett do not help customers in anyway. The company knows this, but still forces it's employees to lie in order to make a ridiculous turnover. If any complaints about products are made, those forcing employee's to fabricate the truth do not feel the wrath of disappointed customers.

So I suggest, if shopping in Holland and Barrett, study the ingredients of products. Most products Holland and Barrett offer are 'bulking agents' dominated; this means that you are consuming more of other ingredients than what the product aiming to provide you with. Vitamin D, for example: vitamin D is the least abundant ingredient found in Holland and Barrett's vitamin D products.

The company does have a 'money back guarantee' which means that if an individual feels a product hasn't helped them whatsoever, they are absolutely entitled to 100% of their money back with to questions or hesitations. However, no customer seems know about this and therefore is unable carry this out. Upon questioning the customer (a requirement of staff working at Holland and Barrett) about if they've tried certain products before, will they then respond with, for example, "yes I've tried that but it didn't do anything for me". I, then, respond with "you should have brought the empty bottle in and got your money back!". So CLAIM YOUR MONEY BACK IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS OF A PRODUCT.
    It is also a company which has risen it's prices ridiculously to keep up with maximising it's income. When first recruited, herbal and fruit teas were £1.19 for a box of 20. The average price is now £1.89 for the same product, with some prices being raised up to £2.19.

In summary, Holland and Barrett is a fraud-company which manipulates its staff members to lie in order to maximise it's profits. If a staff member is questioned by a customer for fabricating or misinforming, the company then punishes that staff member .

27th of May, 2014

Recently I bought 9 packets of Barenaked Noodles on-line from Holland and Barrett. I have had many of the noodles before with no problem, as long as they are stored in a cool dry place they do not need refrigeration. This time however, within 3 weeks the noodles in 1 pack had completely disintegrated and changed into a 'beige soup'. The noodles all have the same sell by date of 13 June 2014 and most of the other packets also show signs of disintegrating, changing colour or bubbling. All this suggests some type of contamination and possibly bacterial activity in the packaging/production.

I contacted the Customer Services Dept (using their own on-line complaints form). I did not receive any reply to my complaints. I therefore also wrote a letter to their Head Office with details of my complaint, again my complaint was ignored. I have written a final letter to the company, and if they ignore that then I shall take my complaint to the local Environmental Health Dept, or Government Foods Safety Agency.

Where food preparation and packaging is concerned surely for the safety of the public a company should not ignore a complaint of this nature. Who knows, the noodles may contain a dangerous pathogen which could cause illness if the noodles are eaten.

Thank goodness I did not eat any of this batch of noodles. My advice is be very careful and check any foodstuffs bought from this company, as even if the food is within the sell by date, from my experience you could end up with a serious problem.

• Un
      24th of Jun, 2014

I am also another disgruntled holland and barrett employee and the company really is a disgrace. I have never had such a terrible manager in my whole life. My manager has actually told me when the store was full with customers at a peak time to simply 'ignore' the customers and 'do not engage in conversation' with them because there are other jobs that need doing e.g. promotional changes.

Working at holland and barrett you are expected to not just be a 'customer assistant' but you have to be stockroom workers, cleaners and even security guards. The amount of times people steal from our store and then the manager blames us!
    The store becomes a health and safety hazard during delivery days as the company like to cut corners by using us to do deliveries rather than employing night staff as do most supermarkets and other retailers such as Boots and Superdrug.
    They do not employ cleaners so we must spend up to an hour after closing time cleaning and tidying up the store WITHOUT GETTING PAID!!!

We continuously have training updates which wouldn't be so bad if my manager actually bothered to print them and give them to us! The training 'encyclopadia' style workbooks mentioned by the other employee are also a problem. This was a problem for me because in order to complete these workbooks you need about FIVE different resource books!!! My store doesn't have half of them and my manager refuses to give them to us!!!

The staff at holland and barrett are generally under immense pressures and the managers are all fed up so it's no wonder that the customers are not getting the service they deserve. My advice to everyone is DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY and DONT BOTHER BUYING FROM THEM! They are ripping off customers with extortionate prices which even after a staff discount are still very expensive!

18th of Jan, 2015

I agree with the to other ex employees holland and barrett is a disgraceful company and no one should work for them. They don't care about there staff and they try to manipulate you in to doing things. There are no cameras for security they dont care if your I'll and there contract states you are not allowed to work anywhere else if your part time and you are to always drop everything for them. Also there is alot of statments the other ex employees have mentioned which are 100% true. Considering its 2015 now that companyis in the dark ages . DO NOT SHOP THERE. DO NOT WORK FOR THEM NEITHER.

19th of Oct, 2015

The staff at Holland and Barrett, Coney Street, York, are excellent, as someone who likes to keep fit, they have an excellent person in that shop called Steve, who is a trainer, and will give you good advice.

19th of Oct, 2015

If you have problems with the staff at Holland and Barrett, demand to see the Manager, and tell them you are reporting the store to the Trading Standards, they soon sort out your problem fast, or if that does not work right to the Head Office address the letter to the Chairman.

19th of Oct, 2015

Steve, as left, Holland and Barrett in the Town centre, a great loss for the store.

20th of Oct, 2015

The only good thing about Holland and Barrett is that they do not charge for bags, only shop there when there is a 1p sale on.

20th of Oct, 2015

The Store in York is very bland, like the staff.

• Ka
      22nd of Oct, 2015

The staff at Bromley store are useless, not very helpful, someone please open an health shop.

1st of Nov, 2015

No one at Holland and Barrett, at both York stores was wearing a poppy,

1st of Nov, 2015

I have stopped shopping at the Holland and Barrett store in Bromley, the staff are unless.

• Ge
      17th of Nov, 2015

It has become the poorest un-friendly store in recent 10 years after recession kicked in or their inflation went up prices rocketed as once were as low as online bid deals these days. holland & barrett once better had items less than half price now just put a penny sale on as well as hike up supplements prices in first place, store staff run down un-friendly at #magherafelt store stand bored at till any wonder never busy the shop in a centre when you see reduced stickers sell by short date pick out later date oh rude boss looks at date before scanning it through says that's not reduced very aggressive she was told her not matter just took protein bar reduced 45p break your teeth over chewy needs banned by holland & barrett don't need this after emerging to northern ireland by my demand 15 yrs back services shipping supplies and staff shares have got worse since recession at antrim, magherafelt, castlecourt belfast, other city centre ones in dublin too natures way former shops were better than # holland & barrett

• Li
      20th of Dec, 2015

The york store in coney street, have lost one of there truly great employees in steve the muscles, every time I went in the store I always asked for steve, as he is a first class fitness coach, so he knows what us sports ladies like.in fitness products.

Bring back steve.

• Li
      20th of Dec, 2015

I agree with Lisa, the Holland and Barrett, York store, should make every effort to get Steve back. When you go into a health store you need excellent staff who can give you excellent advice on fitness, Steve was a sportsman, and was in a different class. Great Bloke.

• At
      6th of Jan, 2016

Stopped shopping at the Bromley, The staff are unless and the Manager is the Captain of a sinking ship.

• At
      6th of Jan, 2016

The staff at the York store in Coney Street, are a really nice lot, very friendly, helpful.