Holidayautosreimbursement denied for enhanced car rental expenses

1. Last spring I booked a rental car through Holidayautos; the car to be picked up from Europcar on 3rd June at Nice Airport. The booking was last confirmed on 30ieth May, see Attachment 1; there was no further message from Holidayautos before 3rd June. However, when I showed up at the Europcar desk on this date the booking was «invalid» (or had been «cancelled»), i.e. the car was NOT available. Holidayautos and I agree on this fact and I have been reimbursed for the payment made for that booking.
2. We were five men with a set destination in my group, and the only option left to me was to book some other car there and then. I settled for an Opel (Vauxhall) INS BK 136D, cf. Attachment 2 = invoice of 07.06.2018 from Europcar. The rental contract amounted to 541.04 EUR, including Roadside Assistance and a Medium Protection Package at a cost of 124.04 EUR + payment for an additional driver at 44.02 EUR.
3. My complaint relates to the fact that these rental expenses were much higher than they had needed be: If Holidayautos hadn't led me to believe that the booking referred to in item 1 was in good order, I could have taken advantage of the brokering services that is the business idea of Holidayautos (indeed!) and its competitors, for example Rentalcars. Specifically, when I solicited an offer from Holidayautos for a similar car (VW Passat Estate) one week later (moving deeper into the peak season!) the rental was offered at 297.19 EUR, cf. Attachment 3. However, I paid for an additional driver at 44.02 EUR in my actual rental (item 2 above), reducing the price difference between the rental taken and the rental offered to 199.83 EUR .
4. Admittedly, there may be a difference in the insurance coverage and, thus, in the rental price element pertaining to insurance: The coverage I paid for included Roadside Assistance and a "Medium Protection Package" at a total cost of 124.04 EUR, whereas the rental offer for the VW included Breakdown assistance, Theft waiver, Collision damage waiver and Third party liability protection. I have asked Holidayautos how this latter coverage compares with the «Medium Protection Package» but they have not deigned to answer. Without this information I find it reasonable to deem the two insurance coverages of equal value/price. Thus:

My claim on Holidayautos (which they refuse to relate to):
By way of gross negligence on the part of Holidayautos I incurred additional, unnecessary rental expenses amounting to 200 EUR at Nice Airport on 3rd June of this year. I demand that this amount be reimbursed me.

Attachments:

Attachment 1

Subject: Your travel reminder - Ref: FR839336320
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 11:08:28 +0100 (IST)
From: Holiday Autos
Reply-To: [protected]@holidayautos.com
To: [protected]@FRISURF.NO

Dear Kristen Fretheim,
Your journey is only four days away. We would like to remind you of what you'll need at the car rental desk.

Booking Reference Number: FR839336320
Confirmation no. [protected]

03 Jun
NICE COTE D AZUR AIRPORT CAR RENTAL CENTER AV DIDIER DAURAT, CAR RENTAL CENTER AV DIDIER DAURAT, NICE, 06281

Desk telephone no.

3 Bags
5 Doors
Automatic Transmission
Air conditioning

Without these mandatory documents you cannot collect your car

Credit card in the name of the lead driver, with a large enough limit to cover the excess ( EUR 1650.00 )

Full driver's license in the name of the lead driver

Valid photo ID (i.e. passport)

Present this email at the desk when picking up your car

Please see your voucher for the full list of mandatory documents
Add flight number

Your voucher

Manage booking

You haven't booked your Excess Insurance

If you do not have any car rental excess insurance yet, we recommend purchasing this cover now to ensure peace of mind on your trip.
Damage Refund Insurance from as little as
NOK 192.06 / per day
Purchase Damage Refund Insurance now >>

Do you have more questions? We can help!

Attachment 2 = invoice from Europcar is attached as a photo below.

Attachment 3

Subject: Car hire quote from Holiday Autos
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 14:57:48 +0100 (IST)
From: Holiday Autos
Reply-To: [protected]@holidayautos.com
To: [protected]@frisurf.no

As requested, please find your quote below.
Cars are selling out fast - book now to get this great deal!
Book Now

17 Jun Nice - Airport…

21 Jun Nice - Airport…

Volkswagen Passat Estate or similar
Estate

5 Passengers 5 Bags 5 Doors
Air conditioning
Manual transmission
In terminal counter, shuttle to car
Fuel: Pick up and return full.

Included for free
Breakdown assistance
Airport fee
Tax
Limited Mileage:Max kilometres included per rental: 1, 000
Theft waiver (TW)
Collision damage waiver (CDW)
Third party liability protection (TP)

€ 297.19
Total
Book Now

Not what you are looking for?
Search for more cars

Need more assistance?
Feel free to contact Customer Care at (+[protected]

Prices are correct at the time of quote request.

Holidayautos