Holiday Inn Express / smashed up antique car

1 Tuscon, AZ, United States Review updated:

My father stayed for a week at the Holiday Inn Express in Tuscon while he was working. He comes back to the hotel last night to find his antique classic car smashed to bits...It was parked well away from everybody (as usual) and apparently someone who can't drive a trailer smashed into it, drug it two feet, smashed windows, bumpers, etc. . My father goes to report this to the hotel clerk, as well as asked for the manager to get the video tape of what happened. The manager was too lazy to come back to the hotel for even the cops to view the tape. I called HI's corporate office and was told each hotel is individually owned. So apparently you just pay them the right price and you can put their name on anything but don't expect them to take responsibilty for anything or even have the same policies from one of their hotels to another. I will never stay at a holiday inn express again, nor will my father who travels every week of almost every month and always stays at holiday inn. I will make sure I post wherever I can that this company will help you in no way shape or form. I'm just glad that whoever did this to my father's car also tore up and caused quite a bit of damage to the holiday inn express property so that maybe they can feel a little bit of the pain my father is going through with his car.

Comments

• Dl
      28th of Aug, 2009

So how is the damage the Holiday Inn's fault? Maybe the manager was unable to immediately come to the hotel. Other than a video tape, what are you wanting them to do? Buy you a new car? Reimburse some of the damage costs? NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

29th of Aug, 2009

They could at least act like they care. If the desk clerks did their job, they would have had vehicle info on the perp, cops could have gone after him/her and tried to resolve it, and excuse me, but if your making manager pay for a property, you need to act like a manager. HolidayInnExpresssucks is absolutely right, hotel chains will let anyone be part of their franchise if they are willing to pay the roalty fees, the minute that stops, the flag gets pulled. Not if there are continuous complaints about a property, an inspection doesn't go well or even if the labor board has come in to investigate unsavory labor practices. Personally, if a hotel cannnot provide 100% satisfaction in EVERY area of a persons stay, they need to be shut down. Once an owner becomes part of a franchise, there are standards manuals that have recommened practices to keep guest happy, of course managers do the standard and never above, to keep cost down! UGH, they hotel industry needs to be overhauled because there is some sick stuff going on. Did you know that hotels will hire foreigners before Americans to clean rooms because they can pay the foreign worker between $2.00 and $3.00 per room cleaned, versus minimum wage/hour to Americans. Now for someone to make decent money doing this, they have to work 6-7 days a week, cleaning 20-30 rooms/day. How clean do you think these rooms are? I got totally off track. Like I said in another post, if you don't have to stay at an Indian run hotel, don't, and I would bet money that HolidayInnExpresssucks, stayed at one of these hotels because, no, they don't care!

• Dl
      29th of Aug, 2009

How do you know this is an Indian run hotel? How do you know the front desk was able to get the info on the truck? It obvoiusly left without reporting it. How was the manager not acting like a manager? Maybe he was unable to make it back to the property? How do you know how much the employees at THAT property are making...hmmmm. I totally agree with the Inidan post but dont assume every hotel is run by them.

5th of Sep, 2009

I'm sorry dlakers, it is not fair for me to assume that every hotel is run by Indians, I know that they are not. I know that there are a million instances that may have happened that made it impossible for the hotel to get in touch with the driver. I am in a real funk right now because of my own experiences. I read all of the hotel complaints every other day and they just make my blood boil that some of the things that go on, go on.

• Ge
      29th of Sep, 2009

How does an accident at an hotel, all of an sudden turns into an negative connotation toward indian owners. Did you know 50% of all franchise hotels are owned by indians? Even though you dont see an indian at the hotel, suprise its still probably owned by one.

• Ti
      4th of Oct, 2009

This is absolutly ridiculous. I am very sorry to hear about your father's car. However, please check your information before spouting off about things you obviously don't know.

One, not every IHG brand hotel is individually owned and operated. There are corporate Holiday Inn's, Holiday Inn Express' and so forth.

Second, IHG is VERY strict about their standards. I believe it is safe to say that they are one of the strictist hotel brands out there, if not the strictist. They do get quarterly inspections and if they fail, they get fined. If they fail again twice in a row, IHG will pull their sinage. Additionally, in order to pass a quality inspection, the hotel must have an approval rating (according to satisfaction surveys) of 84% or above. That is an acceptable rating, and anything below that is failure.

Think about it. Would a corporation prefer to have a bunch of failing hotels and get a about 10 grand in fines, or would they prefer to have a lot of great hotels that people want to stay at? Therefore making the IHG brand look more appealing to prospective franchise owners.

Third, your complaint probably went through guest relations, another venue for a hotel to get a fine in. And they must report every single one of those back to the hotel for a resolution. In your case, there isnt anything the hotel can do. It is not liable for theft or vandalism (which was probably something your father signed when he checked in).
    Not to mention how is the hotel supposed to have vehicle information on the vandal? Was the vandal staying at the hotel? What if it was a local citizen?

And no hotels do not hire housekeepers that are foriegn because they are cheaper. The minimum wage thing does not make sense. If you haven't guessed by now, I work at a hotel at the Front Desk. Our housekeepers get paid $3.50 per room they clean because guess what!? They end up making MORE money that way then if we paid them by the hour! Wanna know why? Because they do clean around 20 rooms. And do you want to know how long that takes them? Normally less than eight hours. And they end up working less hours and making more money then if they worked eight hours. Typically, our housekeepers make as much (if not more) than a person on Front Desk. And none of them are illegal immagrents.

Please go stay at some Super Eight for a couple of nights and see how well you like it. Hopefully your experience their will help shed some of your ignorance.

On a side note you have no idea what hotel employees have to put up with as far as guests. If one little thing goes wrong (even if its not the hotels fault or something that is beyond their control) everyone wants a free night. My light bulb went out, I want a free night. Housekeeping woke me up to ask if I wanted service, I want a free night. Some guests are ridiculous and have these false preconceptions about how a hotel works, not unlike most of the people writing these comments, but really they have no clue and just want something for nothing.

15th of Oct, 2009

IHG is a great franchise to stay with and work for because of their high standards. As I stated before, I know that all hotels are not owned by indians, didn't know the percentage. Yes, people do complain about stuff ALOT, some things are simply a waste of time because they are being beyond picky. BUT, if a housekeeper makes over $1200.00 in a 2 week period, should there be anything to complain about, NO. That is my demon, we do have illegal immigrants working for us (8 months in the state) a husband and wife couple. They work 7 days a week. I get complaints constantly and the manager ALWAYS act like the guest did something crazy to the room to try to get money back. How can two people clean 70 rooms (by no later than 4pm sometimes) and those rooms are actually clean? We started out with a full staff when our new managers took over, now we have MR and MRS PATEL. All of the other housekeepers that were here left due to pay being cut from $6.35/hour to $2.50 per room. Hotels are allowed to pay this way, BUT according to labor board, the worker must clock in and out everytime they work, in a pay period, hours are to be added up and divided by the money made. If that does not equal out to whatever minimum wage is, otherwise the difference is to be paid. That was not done. MY housekeepers that were here, were making about 3.50 per hour. And they don't pay that way because they want to be fair and make sure their workers are taken care of, if a housekeeper is on the clock, they work to slow, if you piece pay, they want to clean all the rooms they can, just to make a better check. It is not fair. It's not like the money being saved goes into the business. Holiday Inn is good because they will check into properties that fall below that 84% satisfaction. There are too many chains that don't care. I think our last inspector was paid off because there was no way we should have passed inspections. I think I just need to get out of the hotel business because nothing will change, and people just look at me as a complainer. Is it right that I can't work in a field that I absolutely love, because I will never get anywhere.