Hitachi / Light engine problem

After being told to change my lamp at a cost of $300, and this did not help I called again and was told to have a service tech look at the TV. Gee, the tv's light engine is bad, imagine this. When calling Hitachi I talked to 3 people and since the tv is 4 years old they will not help. Consumers need to band together as this is a problem with the manufacturer of the light engine since it is a problem with other rear projectors.

Va

Comments

• Gu
      15th of Jun, 2007

I have Hitachi AC. The electronic circuit board of AC got damage. I called Hitachi Authorized Mechanic to solve the problem. He replaced the circuit Board with new one. He also did some soldering on circuit board. When he started the AC, the compressor of my new AC got damage due to faulty soldering on chip board. It might happened due to shortcircuit. This happened due to lack of technical knowledge to mechanic. Now who will trust on Hitachi Authorized Mechanic.

3rd of Jun, 2008

I had exactly the same problem with a 60V500 Hitachi TV. I too was told to replace the lamp and now I am told the the "color engine" is bad and will cost $1, 400 dollars to repair.

• Ha
      16th of Jul, 2008

I feel everyone’s pain here!!! I contacted Hitachi via email and I was told to contact a Hitachi Service Center which I did and the technician reported the blue spot that appears in the upper left corner of my 60V500A (3.5 yrs old) was associated wit the light engine.

Eventually, I was contacted by Hitachi Customer Relations and I was told that they will NOT do anything at all. I am on my own. Customer Relations told me that only a small number of owners have had this problem and that it is considered "Normal" for failures of this type for a $4500.00 LCD TV. I told them that there is a expectation that a $4500.00 TV should perform well beyond 3.5 yrs and I might as well have been talking to a Crash Dummy.

I am convinced that Hitachi definitely is not in the business of taking care of it's customers!!! at least some of you have been met half way by being provided the part at no cost, but it also seems there are more of us that have not even been afforded that!!!

I just thought I would add my two cents worth.

• Ke
      22nd of Jul, 2008

The same thing happened to me too. My Hitachi 50VF820 LCD Projection is only 2.5 years old and the light/color engine is going out. In 2.5 years I've changed the lamp ($250), the remote quit working one week after the warranty went out, and now the light engine is going bad. I hear the repair for the light engine is at least $700+. I called and emailed Hitachi. Just like everyone else I got no help at all. They did give me the # of a Hitachi certified repair service. I googled the repair service and they had an unsatisfactory report from the Better Business Bureau!!!
    I realize I will have to get a new TV, but the thing is I am now reluctant to spend much money at all. I feel I have already been screwed out of $2000.

• Db
      20th of Aug, 2008

I feel your pain and I wish Hitachi would save face and replace the sorry light engines. I am on my second proj LCD and my last Hitachi product. My first was a 50V500 (50" proj LCD). It worked great for a little over a year then started to get a pink cloud in the middle of the screen that eventually took over the entire screen. Hitachi was no help. They were a big waste of time, but thankfully I purchased CC extended warranty. A service person came out and estimated the cost of a new light engine over $1100. CC then authorized a replacement TV. When deciding which TV to replace the 50v500 I was assured by the CC manager that they corrected the issue on the newer 50vf820 models. So like a fool I swapped the 50v500 with a new and improved 50vf820. What a mistake! It has been right at 2 yrs for the 50vf820 and I am now getting a yellow cloud beginning to take my TV over from the middle out. I guess they did not fix the issue and of course the warranty is out. I have heard this is a proj LCD TV issue across the brands, but have yet to see any postings on other brands to date. BUYER BEWARE. Stay clear of the Hitachi TVs. Service sucks, reliability sucks, like I mentioned I will NEVER buy another Hitachi TV.

2nd of Sep, 2008

I have a blue blob in the middle of the screen I was told it was the light engine, this tv was manufactured sept 2004 and I bought it in Oct 2005, I called Hitachi and was told there is nothing they can do it is out of warranty.

15th of Sep, 2008

same with me...i am not ever gonna buy any hitachi products...i have a 50x50 hitachi...spent 3600 for this piece of ###...now hitachi people told that they could do nothing about it...overall beware of hitachi...they are not a fare company

• Ed
      17th of Sep, 2008

yes folks another unhappy owner of a Hitachi 60v500. i have spoken with customer relations they told me there is NOTHING they can do. I have had this set for 4 years and hardly use it! Go figure $900 a year for a TV.

19th of Sep, 2008

Got the same problem and it looks as if Hitachi will do nothing. Luckly I purchased an extended warranty with the dealer and will be knocking on there door soon to fix it. But is that really the point I mean if Hitachi owes every owner a new light engine why do I have to use an extended warranty to get one. I will be making sure that refurbished parts are not used in the repair.

• Iv
      4th of Nov, 2008

You should all try this number for Hitachi.
    - taken from another site:
    Your Best Solution was excactly right, and the phone number to Hitachi Cust. Relations (1-800-654-7013) was terrific info. They answer within moments. I informed them of my red cloud and fading picture and that I knew from the internet that they were well aware of it. As you said. And they said to have the technician speak to them while he was here at the house. So Sear's, came out the next day and I called Hitachi and they agreed to send the part to us directly for free and Sear's credited us the diagnostic fee of $105 and then charged us $242 total for the installation. Should have the part in a few days and Sear's will come out and install it the day after it arrives.

5th of Nov, 2008

totally agreed !!
    They should not be allowed to sell in India

• Mi
      20th of Nov, 2008

I HAVE A HITACHI 55 INCH PROJECTION TV SOLID OAK CABINET WITH BI-FOLD DOORS TO COVER THE SCREEN, ITS GOT TO BE ABOUT 20 YEARS OLD, AND IT STILL WORKS ! I'VE HAD OTHER HITACHI PRODUCTS, VCR'S, CAMERAS, etc. AND WHEN I WANTED TO GO HI-DEF, I HAD SUCH GOOD LUCK WITH HITACHI, I BOUGHT THIS HITACHI 60 " TV ( 60V500A ) I WAS VERY HAPPY WITH IT. HAD A GREAT PICTURE. TILL ABOUT 3 YEARS LATER AND NO PICTURE AT ALL ! THEN I CALLED HITACHI ABOUT THIS PROBLEM. THEY TOLD ME FOR $250.00 I NEEDED A NEW LAMP. I SAID, OK, THINKING THIS WOULD TAKE CARE OF MY PROBLEM. IT WAS INSTALLED, I DID HAVE A SHARP CLEAR PICTURE, BUT THE COLORS WERE ALL REDS AND GREENS ! !THEN THEY TOLD ME I NEEDED A$900 LIGHT ENGINE !... I SAID, NOPE !!! VERY UNHAPPY !!!

• Ry
      10th of Mar, 2009

I just got my part replaced for free. I have got a 50vs69a and it's light engine is shot. I brought it in today to get it confirmed that it was the light engine, picked it up, phoned Hitachi at 1-800-HITACHI and within 20 mintues of talking to the guy, he saiid they will replace the light engine and all I pay is the labour, about 200 bucks. I asked if they knew about the lawsuit taking place in the U.S. and he said ya, then I asked if the same light engine was in this TV as the 50V500 and he couldn't give me a straight answer. So all in all I got it covered, it just takes some patience and some talking to get it replaced.

• Hu
      11th of Mar, 2009

My 50V500 was built in 2004 and is waaaaaay out of warranty. Hitachi replaced the light engine for free and all I had to do was find the least expensive repair shop to do it. $175 later I'm a relatively happy camper.

• Hu
      11th of Mar, 2009

Correction, my 50V500 was built in August of 2003.
    Humbug77

• Ri
      19th of May, 2009

I have a Hitachi 50VF820, it's broken 4 times! YES FOUR! Lamp, Light Engine, Color is terrible. This is the WORST TV I've ever bought.
    I purchased a warranty and still have had problems getting it repaired. Never Again will I buy a Hitachi TV!

• Ai
      15th of Jun, 2009

I too have the same problem with my 50v710 and I'm presently filing the proper documents with my state attorney's office. Don't let Hitachi get away with this and complain-complain-complain, this is not right!

• Tr
      8th of Jul, 2009

Add one more person to the bad light engine boat! We have a 3 1/2 year old 50v720 and the 2nd lamp just burned out. Replaced with new lamp last night, turned it on and now have the yellow cloud in the middle, with a blue band on the bottom of the screen. It seems like no model is imune to these faulty light engines. I haven't attempted to contact Hitachi yet - may just straight to our state Attorney General.
    I wonder if the attorney who filed the class action suit on the 50v500's would be willing to add all models to the suit?

• Hi
      10th of Jul, 2009

I WILL NEVER BUY A HITACHI PRODUCT AGAIN!!!

I purchased the Hitachi 50" LCD projection TV (50V715) on 6/19/05. A few weeks ago a large yellow circle appeared on the screen. After doing extensive research and calling a local repair office I found out the issue is a defective light engine, a KNOWN DEFECT in this model. The replacement part is $400, installation is $300. Hitachi's response: "our product carries a one year warranty so this issue is not covered". I hope they end up in bankruptcy court like Chrysler and GM. That's what happens when you sell defective products and rip off consumers. They are being sued over the defective light engine . . . check out the link below:

• Hi
      10th of Jul, 2009

You can PARTICIPATE IN THE LAWSUIT AGAINST HITACHI. . . read the article at the link below. An email address is provided if you would like to participate in the suit: