Hilton Doubletree Hotel / Refusal to give credit for cancellation due to illness

1 Berkeley California, CA, United States Review updated:

I made a reservation at the Doubletree Hotel in Berkeley Marina, agreeing to pay the full amount in advance to get a more favorable rate. Unfortunately, my husband developed a really severe case of contact dermatitis (it's the worst thing I've ever seen, blisters over the entire calf, oozing, bleeding, you name it), so I tried to cancel five days beforehand. The Hilton company refused to do anything for me, no refund (which I could accept), and no credit. I have talked with several people at the Hilton outfit (including managers and managers of managers), but could not make a dent. This seems to me like highway robbery: they are keeping my money even though I have not gotten anything for it! Unjust enrichment comes to mind, among a few other choice torts. Paula R.

Comments

• Tr
      13th of Jul, 2009

you are entitled for a full refund since you cancelled it 5 days prior to your arrival date, Most hotels have a 24 hour cancellation policy prior to arrival or at least 6pm on arival date. If managers in that property are not doing action to give your money back, i would suggest you to take the next step to call the Hilton Corporate Office Complaint desk. I've worked for Hilton SF and Hampton Inn and I know the policy " It's a 100% satisfaction guarantee or your your money back.

• Dl
      16th of Jul, 2009

No troy you dont know the policy. The advance purchase reservations are a lower rate, you are pre charged, and it tells you in three diferent areas that you can not cancel. Do not book these type of reservations if there is even the slightest chance that you will not be able to make. It is terrible that you had an illness, but in the end YOU booked this reservation knowing this.

• Lo
      2nd of Sep, 2010

We are in the same boat unfortunately. We were scheduled to arrive in Key West tomorrow but decided that due to the impending hurricane that we are not flying. Continental is allowing pax the chance to change iteneraries free of charge due to the weather, even for non-refundable tickets. No such luck with Doubletree. The managers I spoke with yesterday seem unaware that there even is a hurricane, and are denying us the chance to rebook, even though they clearly have a hurricane exception on the list of approved cancellation reasons. Unbelievable. Never again will I book a non-refundable hotel and we will certainly NEVER stay with Doubletree.

• Dr
      18th of Apr, 2013

Yes, ... my transmission broke down, had to cancel the trip, ... they KEPT MY MONEY, refusing to give a credit card refund!