Higgins Power SportsAARRGGHH!

J Review updated:

Higgins Power Sports performed a top end rebuild of my snowmobile. It took them 3 mos to complete. The very first ride, the snowmobile had a top end meltdown due to overheating. Obviously, the shop did not properly repair the top end, causing the meltdown. They also put bad fuel into the sled from their own gasoline storage tank. After I returned the sled after the meltdown I expected them to repair again at no cost, to guarrantee their work. They CLAIM that they found water in the carb bowls. They also admit that THEY filled the gas tank which means any water in the carb bowls came from THEIR own gas storage tank. They told the judge in small claims court that the water came from "snowdust" that was sucked into the motor while I was riding. Except the one ride I went on before it broke again, it was a crystal clear and very cold day and I rode alone. So where did this "snowdust" come from? Then, after I lost in small claims ( I couldnt "prove" anything) I went to pick up my STILL broken snowmobile, and this shop actually had the gall to ask for, and get ( I had no choice)another $375 for "diagnostic fees" !! Then when I picked up my sled, I found that it had been left outside for 3 months and the engine was in peices and strewn everywhere (I can only blame spite as the reason they would do this) and the inside of the engine was all rusty. NICE. What a great business they run. This shop is run by a bunch of snotty arrogant 20 & 30 somethings who don't know the first thing about service and integrity. They lied to get out of their responsibility to stand behind their work and stuck me for over $2500...PERIOD. So I am out $2500 and came away with a broken sled that is in even worse condition then when I brought it to them originally. I am not an amateur who does not understand engines. I am an honest hard working person who would never talk badly of somebody's business or integrity unless I really felt that I have been wronged. And boy was I ever wronged. I have been motor-sporting and working on motors for over 40 yrs and I know a screw job when I see one. And this is the worst screwing I have ever received in my life. I HIGHLY, HIGHLY reccomend that you do NOT do business with this facility.

More Higgins Power Sports Complaints & Reviews

• H
      Nov 10, 2009

This is a very long response and you are welcome to read all of it. If you want just the synopsis of it the Judge sided with Higgins Powersports.

The following includes all of the emails that Mike sent to us and the responses that we gave to him. It also includes information straight from a Ski-Doo one day book on possible causes of center detonation damage. We have multiple pictures of the sled, the engine and the speedometer (showing 59.9 miles on it) availably if anyone would like to request them. I will start out with the letter that we wrote to Mike and what we found with his sled and what it needed. Then I have included some of the highlights of the emails so everyone can see who we were dealing with. It is much easier to get something you want with sugar than it is with vinegar and threats. If there are any requests or someone would like to disscuss this further please submit an email to [protected]@Higginspowersports.com or call Chris at [protected]

February 10, 2009

Before you go jumping to any conclusions and decide to head off to Worcester County Court please look at these pictures, read what I have to say and then make an educated and rational decision.

As you are well aware the technician that worked on your sled Jay Ablaza is a perfectionist and is very good if not the best at what he does. He has been in the business of diagnosing problems and repairing ATV’s, Motorcycles and Snowmobiles for more than 21 years. In 2006 he was the overall champion in one class of the New England Masters of Mini dirt bike series. In 2007 he was the overall champion of 2 classes and finished second in the premier class to someone riding a bike built by Jay. His bikes were the envy of everyone at the races. They were spotless at every race, ran flawlessly and always out in front on the holeshot. His current mentor is a member of the AMA hall of Fame. As you found out he does not like using any questionable parts, he likes to start fresh with new factory components. It may not always be the least expensive way to fix a machine but when Jay is done he is confident that it is done right and will provide the customer with something he can ride without worry. Well enough about Jay lets talk about what happened with your sled.

When Jay brought the sled into the shop first thing he did was a quick walk around inspecting for any visible signs of a coolant leak. None were found.

Then after opening the hood he inspected for any signs of again a coolant leak or potential air leaks in the motor such as a base gasket or head o-ring that may have let go. None were found.

He then removed the power valves to inspect the tops of the pistons. He found major damage to the Mag side piston. It was so bad that there was a dime size hole right in the top of it. There was some minor damage to the PTO side piston. Right away he knew that this type of failure was related to either a lean condition or water in the fuel. See attached pictures

He then proceeded to remove the top of the air box so he could access the carbs. He immediately came to me (Chris Higgins) and said grab the camera. What he found were small puddles of water in the bottom of the air box as you can see in the attached pictures. Having been through this before we knew that we needed to take pictures and document things as we went.

After removing the carbs he also noticed that there were small water droplets in and on the intake boots. See attached pictures.

Then he drained the fuel out of the carbs and found water in the float bowls of the carbs. Inspected for any dirt or debris, none was found. Verified that the jetting was correct, which it was set at factory specs. 150 main jets. See attached picture

Concerned that there may have been some water in the gas he siphoned some from the bottom of the tank and from the fuel pump. No water was found. Every engine install that Jay does he drains the fuel tank and fuel system before re-assemble. The water that we found came through the air box. Also if you notice in the pictures there is a bluish tinge to the fuel that is due to Jay adding some extra oil to the fuel as recommended by the manufactures whenever engine repairs are made.

The Y-pipe was then removed so we could take pictures of the pistons. See attached.

After finding the water in the carbs, water in the bottom of the air box and water droplets in the intake boots all indications were pointing to an engine failure due to water ingestion. How that water got there I do not know as I was not the one riding the sled. It came through the air box as either snow dust or water droplets.

I did mention early on that this type of failure can also be caused by a lean condition. What causes a lean condition is either improper jetting or some type of air leak. Jay did verify that the jetting was all set to factory specs in the carbs. He also inspected the base and intake gaskets for any type of distortion, damage or leaks. None were found. The only other possible place for an air leak is through the crankshaft seal that is behind the recoil cover and behind the stator plate. It is rare that this seal goes bad but it can happen. Being a used motor that you bought online in “unknown condition” it maybe a possibility. We did not disassemble the lower end of this engine as you were confident that the previous owner was upfront and honest that it was a “low mileage” engine.

As you know and I know we all make mistakes. We currently have a sled here in the shop that does have engine damage due to one of other techs incorrectly assembling a carb we owned up to it and we are repairing it at no charge for the customer. Total repair cost on that will be close to $1600 when it is done. We do not have a problem taking care of that customer and like you said we would not be in business if we didn’t step up to the plate and admit when we have made a mistake.

It is unfortunate that you are in this position and have more money invested into snowmobile than it is worth.

We will be disassembling your motor so that we can have a 100% correct answer for you and the judge.

So after seeing what we have done and what steps we have taken to determine whether this was something that we did wrong or something that happened beyond our control I hope you can see it was not anything that we did wrong.

Here are our options.

1. You sell your sled “as is” recoup some of your money and maybe look at a new machine.
    2. Go after the person that sold you the motor. (if the crank seal is bad)
    3. We do a repair estimate to fix what you have but it will be in excess of $2500
    4. We go to Worcester County Court show a judge the facts and let him decide
    5. You use this as a learning experience and we hope that Higgins Powersports can meet or exceed any future needs that you have.

What ever you do decide there will be a balance due for diagnostic time.

With statements like these what were we to do:
    “If you want me to come get that pile of ### that used to be a snowmobile off of your property, let me know a time and date.”
    “and want to stick it up my ### even more than you already have, then I guess you can just keep the sled.”
    “So you claim. And you will have your opportunity to prove that to a judge.”
    “What an absolute load of rubbish! WOW. I don’t know who you think your dealing with. You must think I am a complete ###. I may not be a member of the AMA hall of fame, but I have been riding 2 stroke motorsports since before you AND you award winning technician were drinking from a baby bottle. And what you trying to sell here is a load of crap based on conjecture and all designed to get you out of your responsibility. But that’s the trademark of your generation isn’t it?”
    “You are the most unprofessional shop I have ever dealt with in my 30+ yrs of motor sports. And I have delt with shops from Mass to California. This is totally out of line. And I am hoping that the judge will see it for what it is. The papers are already filed.”
    “make me out to be a liar and make up some outlandish science fiction BS explanations as to why your not responsible for the breakdown.”
    “So your pictures wont prove anything to me other than your trying to avoid taking responsibility.”
    “I rode the sled in circles for an hour in a fresh foot of snow and it broke! And thats it”
    “Any comment referencing that I did something to cause the damage is simply inaccurate and not true.”
    “just say so so we can cut out all this crap”
    “I rode her for 2 hrs taking it easy because of the new top end, 30-40 mph…3000 RPMs max”
    “But when I took her to 60 MPH and about 4500 RPM, she had the meltdown.”
    “2 hrs into the first ride and the first time she’s taken above 4000 RPMs”
    “This is simply impossible”
    “ I file in small claims court and we let a judge decide what to do.”
    “What is NOT going to happen is I will not pay you more money to repair the engine”
    “If I do not hear back from you within three business days, I intend to come pick up my property and file a claim in the Worcester County Court.”

Possible causes of center detonation damage as stated in the Ski-Doo one day book

1: Wrong, or too hot of a spark plug. We checked and verified that it had champion RN57YCC spark plugs as listed by Polaris. See picture and plugs brought by Chris Higgins

2: Improperly operating cooling system. Inspected for coolant leaks, none found. Checked water pump and water pump belt, no problems found.

3:Engine air leaks. Inspected for any air leaks around base gaskets, intake gaskets, and crank seals. None found see pictures.

4: Too lean carb jetting. Carbs jetted to factory specs see pictures.

5: Carb jets dirty. Carbs still spot-less from previous service. See picture

6: Compression ratio too high. Unable to check compression ratio due to damage to pistons. Unable to be sure if the head was stock due to Mike buying used motor on Ebay

7:Too much advanced timing. Timing not manually adjustable on this motor.

8: Bad fuel. Water found in the air box, intake boots, and float bowls of the carbs. No water found in the fuel in the fuel tank. Water came through the air intake either as snow or liquid water. Problem Found. See pictures.

Congrats Chris. You won the small claims case.

If you insist that I owe you another $300 and want to stick it up my ### even more than you already have, then I guess you can just keep the sled.

You know how to reach me.

I’ll accept your lack of response as a “no”.

I will be in contact.

From: White, Mike
    Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 12:55 PM
    To: 'Chris Higgins'

2/19/09

Mr. Higgins,

I am again requesting you to release my property to me and waive any monies due for work that I did not authorize.

Please respond whether or not you are willing to do so.

Regards,

41 Pine Street
    Lunenburg, MA.
    From: White, Mike
    Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 4:13 PM
    Subject: RE: Pick up of property

So you claim. And you will have your opportunity to prove that to a judge.

However, if you refuse to release my property without good cause Mr. Higgins then I must take legal measures to reclaim it.

So I ask again, will you please release my property to me without cost to myself in light of the fact that I did not authorize any "diagnostic work" to be performed?

Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 3:16 PM
    Subject: RE: Pick up of property
    You stated in your previous email that you would be here by Friday so we made sure it was ready to go, so anytime is fine. We are open Mon.-Sat 8:30 -5 and Thursday nights we are open till 8:00. There is a balance due of $315 for disassembly and diagnostic of what happened.

Again the failure is unrelated to the repairs that we previously did to your sled.

Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:58 PM
    Subject: Pick up of property

Mr. Higgins,

Since you are refusing to guarantee your original repair, I would like to arrange a time to come and pick up my snowmobile and remove it from your property.

Please advise at your soonest convenience when I can do so.

Regards,

Lunenburg

OK thanks.
    From: Higgins Powersports
    Sent: Thu Apr 09 18:35:01 2009
    Subject: RE: 2002 SPXP
    Our open hours are 8:30 till 5 Mon.-Sat. and Thursday nights till 8. Either 30 min after we open or 30 min before we close would be great. Once the balance is paid we will be happy to load it on your trailer or pick-up truck with our forklift.

Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2009 11:00 AM
    To: [protected]@higginspowersports.com
    Subject: 2002 SPXP

4/9/09

Mr. Higgins,

I would again like to request the release of my property (2002 SP/XC Polaris Snowmobile).

Please advise if you will allow me to pick up my property and what date and time would be convenient for you.

Sincerely,

Lunenburg, Ma

Please have my machine ready for pickup. I am out of town currently but will pick it up before Friday.

ALSO - I did not authorize your shop to take apart my motor. I do not intend to pay you for any “diagnostic” charges, because I did not ask for it. Unless you can produce a consent form signed by me, authorizing you to take my machine apart to diagnose it, then I intend to pick it up at no cost to myself. I did not bring it in for your to “diagnose it”. I brought it to you so you could perform a repair on it at no cost because I thought your business was legit and stood behind their work. Not to take it apart, or take pictures or make me out to be a liar and make up some outlandish science fiction BS explanations as to why your not responsible for the breakdown.

Please do not perform any repairs. Please do not do anything except have it ready for pickup as I have requested.

Thank you.

Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 5:38 PM

February 10, 2009

Here are our options.

2. Go after the person that sold you the motor. (if the crank seal is bad)
    4. We go to Worcester County Court show a judge the facts and let him decide

What ever you do decide there will be a balance due for diagnostic time.

Chris Higgins

Sent: Monday, February 09, 2009 5:47 PM
    Subject: RE: 2002 Polaris SP/XC - Mike White - Repair breakdown issue

Sure, I will look at them. But I know that I did not do anything to cause any damage to that motor, So your pictures wont prove anything to me other than your trying to avoid taking responsibility. After you repaired it, I rode the sled in circles for an hour in a fresh foot of snow and it broke! And thats it. Any comment referencing that I did something to cause the damage is simply inaccurate and not true. I simply do not know any other way to say it.

But it sure sounds like we are going to court. Which is unfortunate.

The fact that you can charge me $1600, (after i was told it would be around $900), and then not back it up after it breaks on the very first ride, is incredulous! Im giving you the oportunity to make it right, But it sounds like you are going to do everything you can to avoid fixing the machine that your shop repaired incorrectly.

If you have no intention of backing up your work, then just say so so we can cut out all this crap. I'll come pick up my machine, and we will go through the court channels. Not looking forward to it, but I refuse to be taken for $1600.

Sent: Monday, February 09, 2009 5:08 PM
    Subject: RE: 2002 Polaris SP/XC - Mike White - Repair breakdown issue
    I will get back to you tomorrow with an explanation and pictures. Chris

Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2009 2:07 PM
    To: [protected]@higginspowersports.com
    Subject: 2002 Polaris SP/XC - Mike White - Repair breakdown issue

Chris,

Tried to call you several times and you were either on the phone or were busy with customers.

I’ve been thinking long and hard about this issue with my sled. I have spoken to no less than 4 area sled mechanics. Basically, I’m not buying the story of this mystery water that was “found in the breather box”. I didn’t from the start. The only way water can get into the breather box, as you claim, is if you open her up and pour it in on purpose, or if you practically submerge the sled in water. I am pretty sure that nobody purposely poured water into the breather box. And I assure you that for the couple of hours that it was ridden after the repair, it did not go any where near water. Nor did it sit out in the rain, although the sled is designed to sit in rain and not get the engine wet. It broke down on the Saturday after I picked it up from you and the temperature out side that day in the Worcester area was 8 F. The sled went no where near any water. I am a very honest person. This “water in the engine” theory is bunk and I’m pretty sure you’re aware of that fact. And I don’t believe in coincidences. The sled just happened to have a water problem the first ride after a top end rebuild? Come on Chris.

The sled stays in the clamshell trailer unless I’m riding it. Period. The only time she has EVER been stored outside is when your shop had her outside for 3 months while Evan gave me the run around.
    I picked her up from your shop, paid you $1600, took it home. I ran her at home just to see how she ran and I though she was idling a bit rough. So I took it back to Jay a couple of days later, I never rode it. Jay looked at it in the parking lot and ran her for a few minutes and said “She sounds fine to me..go ride her, , she should be fine” So where was this mystery water at this point?
    I took her home. That Saturday, I took her for her first ride after the repair on Webster lake in Webster Ma. There was a foot of snow on the lake. There was no standing water on the lake anywhere, it was 8f outside and had been under 20F for the last 3 weeks. I rode her for 2 hrs taking it easy because of the new top end, 30-40 mph…3000 RPMs max. Jay told me to open her up a few times “Don’t be afraid to get on it” he said. I never opened her up. But when I took her to 60 MPH and about 4500 RPM, she had the meltdown. There were 6 witnesses riding with me who can attest that there was no water anywhere that day. Only 12 inches of snow. The sled was cruising at 40 mph, then just quit.

Heres the basic facts. I brought my sled in for repair. Your mechanic said the engine was shot, “get a new one”. So I brought them a good engine and he took the top end to clean out newspaper packing and ended up doing a top end rebuild that basically, it really didn’t need. But I authorized it. I realize that Jay was looking to put a perfect motor back together, which is understandable. But in the end, if we had just stuck in the sled, it would have run fine. There were no major defects. Just some normal ring marks on the cylinder walls. None of them through the nickel. But in performing the top end rebuild, it’s apparent that something went wrong when putting it back together. It’s easy to do and even the best mechanic can screw it up. The littlest thing can snowball into a major issue with 2 strokes. I know this. It could have been any one of a dozen things. Most likely the carbs were dirty from sitting around your lot for three months and when I ran it, a jet got clogged with buildup crud and the fuel was blocked and she had a meltdown. When I asked you after the fact if you guys cleaned out the carbs, you said “Yes. But really, what are you going to say? No? Maybe he did, and maybe he didn’t. But when you perform a top end rebuild, new pistons, rings, clean the carbs out, adjustments, you don’t expect her to have a top end meltdown 2 hrs into the first ride and the first time she’s taken above 4000 RPMs. That’s simply not going to happen unless there was an issue with the rebuild. If there is water in the breather box, the sled will not run smoothly for 2 hrs and then have a meltdown. This is simply impossible. IT WAS NOT A WATER ISSUE.

So here’s the deal Mr. Higgins. Your business performed a service for me for which I compensated you $1600. The service was to install an engine and get her running. I was told that it would be wise to replace the pistons and rings while he was in there. So I agreed. By the term “running well”, one would expect at least a season of riding out of her. The service was a failure due to the machine breaking down on the very first ride after repair. If you are not willing to back up your work, then I have to inform you of my options.

Our options are this:

• You guarantee and stand behind your work and perform a repair of the engine at no cost to me
    • You refund me my $1600 for the repair that you failed to perform successfully and we go our separate ways
    • I file in small claims court and we let a judge decide what to do.

What is NOT going to happen is I will not pay you more money to repair the engine that you didn’t repair correctly in the first place. And I will not walk away having paid you $1600 and having nothing to show for it.

Please get back to me at your soonest convenience. If I do not hear back from you within three business days, I intend to come pick up my property and file a claim in the Worcester County Court.

Lastly, it is not my intention to cause you any strife or trouble with legal action. I am not asking for a “freebie”. I make a good living. I have better things to do then to chase after you to do the right thing. But this is wrong what you are doing and I will never stand to be treated unfairly. I only want what’s right. And the right thing to do here is to stand behind your work. That’s all I am asking you to do. If I treated my customers this way I’d have been out of business years ago.

I am available 24/7 by cel phone should you need to contact me.

Sincerely,