Hewlett Packard / support

1 3000 Hanover Street, Palo Alto, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 650-857-1502

Contacted Hp support on a printer problems by phone twice, couldn't get anyone who understood or spoke english to any extent. Tried e-mail which has now been on-going for over a month. According to this award winning support operation, my case has been elevated to level-2, the advanced support group, and yet another group, the concerned group (I personally don't think any of these groups even exist, but it keeps in nature with other documented lies they have made). With no help and needing a printer bought a Vista certified brand new officejet 5610 for a project to put out borderless 4x6 prints (which according to their advertising, the printer will print...if you buy their special tabbed photo paper ($22) and the photo ink cartridge ($25). Doesn't work, leaves a 1/4 inch strip of white on the side of the photo. Back to support, no help for over three weeks now. Did finally figure out the fix on the original printer, let them know......and guess what...at least 6 of these highly trained support techs know that the original problem has been fixed (remember they had been working on it for over three weeks) and yet not a single one has inquired as to what the fix is. Also told them it fixed problems with Vista and a few of their other printers. They still haven't shown any interest in the fix.
Also, checked with J.D.Power, who issued this Outstanding support award, it has long expired and they say 'Unfortunately they (HP) still advertises it', they currently have HP rated at Average, and ay they are going to look into the matter (Hooray for J.D.Power) . Am currently recommending that all my clients look into moving to Canon or Epson printers before transitioning to Vista, their support is the worst I've seen in the 28 years I've been in the computer business (yes, even worse than Symantec, which was number one on my list the last few years)

Comments

• Pa
      13th of Jul, 2007
    Hewlett Packard - Services not rendered!

On 6/11 I called tech services because my daughter could not get online with her Compaq laptop. It was very difficult understanding the Indian technician but my daughter and I got through the instructions but nothing was accomplished and no services were rendered. I called HP back to dispute the charges of $53.49 and the Indian man told me HP would call me back. HP NEVER called. A few days later the cable company was at my door telling me it was an outside wiring problem on my street and two other streets. The 800 number on my credit card statement for HP has been disconnected and the other 800 number given per recording was for sexual services. How aggravating to try to resolve this with a company like HP and to be treated in this manner... disgraceful. My daughters have two Compaq laptops but I will NEVER purchase any HP products ever again after this experience!!!

2nd of Jan, 2008

I fully understand just how you feel. My husband and I are also dealing with H P and a lap-top that we own. I finally had to write to the CEO of HP to see if I can get some resolution to our problem.

• Sm
      24th of Jan, 2008

Not only did I write to the CEO for help with my laptop, but someone called me from the number mentioned above, assured me they would take care of it, and then never did. Now I am stuck trying to call the number above to reconnect with the person and a message is telling me the number has been disconnected. Needless to say I do not think my computer issue will ever be resolved, the customer service at HP/Compaq is beyond horrible, and I will never be purchasing another of their products.

• Th
      29th of Jan, 2008
    Hewlett Packard - Absolute worst support!
    Connecticut

Purchased new Pavillion desktop in Dec. 2017. In Nov. 2017 the hard drive failed. I knew what had happened and had the error codes and had run a smart test. On phone with techs for hours while they had me run innumerable recovery and restores, I repeatedly told them the HD had failed. Finally they agree to send me a new HD, only after I give them my credit card info. They promise to expedite the shipment. A week later I call again to see where it is, they haven't sent it as they were waiting for me to call back to see if I still wanted it. Some choice words and I have the new HD in a few days. That HD also doesn't work. Three more days trying to get through to "service" and then more so-called techs reading off a plastic flip chart telling me to run recovery and restore. Finally they agree it has to go the factory repair center. They'll expedite it.
    A week later I receive my box and send it off. A little over 2 weeks later it returns. My graphics card is taped to the top of the case and 3 separate notes say my motherboard was bad, mt graphics card had corrupted the O/S and the hard drive was bad. Guess they wanted to give me options to blame. I boot up the computer and a factory tech screen pops up, seems HP Repair forgot to finish what they started. I call Tech support, they have no idea what the screen is. They make a wild guess and tell me to start clicking on buttons on the tech screen. Guess what, computer goes haywire and will not boot. 2 more days of calls to HP and more restores/recovery. They finally agree to send it back to Factory repair, expedited of course. A wheel later the box arrives and I send it back. I tape a description of the problem and a diagram of the screen on the PC.Two weeks later myHP returns home for a visit. Take it out of the box which is closed with a single piece of tape and has holes punched in it. Boot it up and I get the exact same screen I sent it in with. I call HP Tech Support and explain the issue. They tell me to click the same buttons last time. I explain that didn't work. They say that is the button, fine, I click it and computer goes haywire. I cheerfully inform the tech that they've managed to kill my PC again. They ask if I can try clicking another of the buttons- then comes restore/recovery time.

I've had enough, two months without a computer. I demand a replacement and after an hour of trying to fend me off they say a case manager will call. A week later one does actually call, a supposed senior case manager. He listens with barely any interest and says HP will replace my PC. But it's Friday and they have to research my PC to see what I can have as a replacement. I say its listed on your website, what's comparable? He can't tell me. but promises to call Monday with some specs to see if I agree- then it will take up to 14 working days to deliver. Well now its Wednesday and no call back. Even if they called tomorrow and promised to deliver a new PC it would be up to three months without a PC. Did I mention they offered to upgrade my replacement for only $300-500? How nice of HP! HP service is useless, the techs have little or no knowledge and the company will not back up their product. You will not receive a straight answer or the truth from techs or case managers. I purchased another computer so I would have one to use. I would never buy another HP product if it was my last choice. Buyer beware and trust not the snake in HP clothing.

16th of Feb, 2008
    Hewlett Packard - Unacceptable customer service!
    New Jersey

I am writing to inform you of the terrible, time wasting experience I had with the so-called “support” service which wasted over 80 minutes of my valuable time on Thursday, 2/14/08, and over 90 minutes of my valuable time on Saturday, 2/16/08.

The “support” representatives repeatedly asked for my street address, which I had already provided at the time I registered my Compaq and the extended warranty. They also had me go through multitudes of repetitious entry-level troubleshooting routines, despite my attempts to explain that we had determined the problem was hardware related. I was then placed on hold for over 20 minutes before someone relented and agreed to send a box for me to ship my laptop back the HP for repair.

Naturally, based on the incompetence of the individuals I spoke with on the phone, I have ZERO confidence that my laptop will be repaired properly. Unfortunately, sending the laptop back to HP is my only option at this time.

The next time I am in the market for a new computer, I will most definitely choose a brand other than HP due to the gross incompetence of the service staff.

17th of Feb, 2008

Absolutely the worst service. They keep track of nothing, so you need to go through the whole name, address, phone # everytime you call, even though your personal data should be saved in their database.

After numerous hours arguing with Indians who neither speak nor understand English, I finally convinced them to send me a box so I can send the machine back to them for repair.

Now, after reading all these complaints, I am reluctant to send the computer back, since I have no confidence these idiots will be able to repair it.

Never again - next time I'm getting a MAC.

17th of Feb, 2008

I also wrote to the CEO after an infuriating phone experience with HP support, which ended with my problem not being resolved. I do not have much confidence that I will get any kind of acceptable response.

7th of Mar, 2008

I ordered a HP Pavilion a6300t CTO Desktop PC 2/19/2017, online. I paid $601 to have this custom built. This Pavillion a 6300 t is only two weeks old and within an hour of it being on, the CD/DVD holder got stuck in the "open position".

The computer is fine, otherwise. Tech support is non existant, performed by Indian labor with a passing knowledge of English, except to read from a script, to promises that the technician, who has been " On his way" to my home for nearly TWO WEEKS, is "still on his way". There are no local HP authorized service place to take my computer to, despite what it says on their website. Today, March 7, I was informed that the part needed is on backordered: 48x max. CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive (48x32x16x48x)

I have complained to the CEO, Bill Hurd. I even have a case manager, Raj, whereever the heck HE is, I do not know. What I do know is that I have had nothing but empty promises to cover a repair that should be covered and IS covered under warranty.

• Mo
      7th of Mar, 2008

I'm fighting with my laptop HP Pavilion dv6604nr, since I have purchased on 12.12.2017
    My previous experiences with HP have been good, so I decided for another.
    Drive D; was so overloaded with games and Video Program's, they are not possible to remove.
    I'm thinking to turn in also...

• Gr
      16th of May, 2008

I am having issues with my laptop and HP's customer service. It is now going back for a second time to fix the same problem I've been complaining about. I get it back today, so we'll see if they fixed it this time. When I got it back the first time, I called, and tech support said someone from claims would call me in 24 hours. That didn't happen. I wrote a letter to the CEO, and had someone call me regarding the email. She was awful! She was no help, and just made me more frustrated. She asked me when I was getting my computer back.. I told her that I didn't work for HP so I wouldn't know. She did nothing to make me the least bit happy with the service. If when I get it back that it still isn't fixed, I'm asking for my money back.

24th of Jun, 2008

I had problems with my audio (no sound).Anyway I had purchased an extended warranty earlier, so I thought this would be easy.NOT! They sent the box for me to mail it back to them to my old, flooded -out apartment.My previous neighbors told me it was there.Then after waiting a week to get it back, nothing had been done to fix it and there was a loose screw knocking around in the tower. I called again hoping to get someone who spoke English.Trouble is each time you call you have to go through the complicated story about the problem and shout words into an automated answering service.Their warranty is worth about as much as the toliet paper on the wall of my bathroom.I paid $227.84 for a warranty on an XP Pavillon Desktop and it doesn't look like it does any good to have an extended warranty at all.I have nothing good to say about HP's service.here's hoping that "karma" really does exist.

• Da
    Victoria
    Australia
    Phone: 0395551222
    www.hp.com

I purchased a Laptop computer from hervey norman on the 12/01/08 which was advertised as having a $150 cash back, As iI am not fluent with computers iI returned to the store a week later and the the salesman if he could do the necessary forms on the internet, he was good and said that that would be no problem. On week later just to be sure, I wrote a later to HP to let them now i had taken the necessary steps online to receive my cash back. Not long after that i received a letter telling me that the expiry date had elapsed. I phoned hp and only got a machine, I left a message for them and the machine told me theyu would contact me within 24 hours. I then tried to contact the manager of Hervey Normen on a number of occassions but he was always in conference, so i left a message there as well. As neither hervey normen or Hp contacted me i called hervey norman AGAIN and was able to speak to the assistant manager who would not even tell me his or the manager name, All he told me was he would look into it and get back to me! I have still not heard from Hewlett Packard and Hervey norman never got back to me, But i am not giving up on this and I will get my Cash Back Yet...

• Va
      21st of Oct, 2008
    Hewlett Packard - Arrrgh!
    hp.com

HP record keeping has victimized me in my attempt to print, for the first time, photos on my Photosmart C5180 printer. They claim my warranty ended in Sept. '07, but I brought the computer in this calendar year!!

First, I attempted an online chat, but was told they could not support my computer, a MacBook Pro. Then, I was given the runaround at their phone center - first, told that I would get help despite their claim about my warranty, and then, second, told that I would not because of their warranty claim. Arrrgh!

I have not printed ONE photo as yet.

• Mg
      30th of Dec, 2008

After purchasing a desk top Pavillion on February 27 2017 and having it serviced by HP over the course of the year, I was informed by HP Support Center that my one year warranty had expired. Their records reflect that I purchased the desktop in October 2017.
    Advised to send in the purchase receipt and that I would be informed of the warranty reinstate with 4-6 hours. It has been over a week and still the unit has not be updated. The purchase receipt was sent twice. No answers to my questions on the reason for the faulty data showing an incorrect purchase date. Previous outsourcing support has been frustrating, lengthy and invariably involves a language barrier. HP outsource personnel whether in India, South America, the mid east etc., are only good for going through the numbers. Anything outside the "book" parameters you are in for a long long telephone session including those indivduals who simply hang up on you when the going gets tough.

• Mg
      30th of Dec, 2008

Agree.

• So
      29th of Jan, 2009
    Hewlett Packard - Hewlett packard warrenty is worthless
    Tennessee

I purchased 3 hp pavillion laptop computers the last week of October.. as nearly 2017.00 dollars.. out of the 3 one of them had a manufactors defect. .the button battery in the computer broke loose of its casing and fried the mother board and the ram .. This after 2 1/2 months of owning this computer..

HP does not stand behind their warrenty.. the refused to fix it with out charging me 434.82 i paid 550.00 for the computer..

It would be rediculous to pay nearly what I paid orginally to fix a computer i just bought

• Ro
    Oceanside
    California
    Phone: 760-277-3287
    eco-klenz.com

I have an HP Dv6000 laptop. My DVD drive quit working. I performed a BIOS reboot, checked for driver downloads, checked to make sure that the operating system recognized the drive...it did not. My laptop is Tag Number DV66 which is not covered by HP's recall. I took it to a computer repair facility. The problem appears to be in the motherboard. HP won't honor fixing it under recall although others are experiencing the same problems. I have been a satisfied HP customer for about 18 years until now. I am very displease that HP knows about this issue and won't do anything. Even CHRYSLER would fix a defectiive product under recall right now to ensure continued customer satisfaction but HP won't.

• In
      28th of Mar, 2009

I have the same problem. I did not buy an extended warrantee. After 14 months the motherboard died. No one can find a motherboardto replace it and HP wants $400 to fix it. I paid $650 for the computer. This is ridiculous! The worst computer I have ever had. I will never buy another Hewlett Packard product ever again.

• Ot
      9th of Apr, 2009
    Hewlett Packard - DV9000 series laptop
    MRC
    Connecticut

I purchased an HP Pavilion DV9000 Laptop last February (2017) online from HP.com. It came with Windows Vista pre-installed. In the first six months I noticed there were power issues, the desktop icon saying that it was “plugged in, not charging” at some point the power failed completely. Not only could I not charge the battery, but I also could not even run the notebook on AC power. I also noticed that the notebook was having trouble accessing the hard drive. Windows were hanging and vista was slow to close and open.

I called the support number and spoke to a tech, let me first say there was a significant language barrier, but after hashing the details out and coming to the conclusion that the power supply was the issue, not the Motherboard or battery, which I suggested (his direction, not mine) he sent me a new transformer/power cable. Less than six months later the computer started misbehaving again, same troubles as before, windows would hang or crash and there were times when AC power was plugged in and still not listed as charging, and then a major crash.

I called again and spoke to another CSR who also had a rather heavy accent but was more understandable than the last, I explained the problem as well as the previous issues and he concluded that the issue was software based; I contended that I believed that there were hardware issues as well. I cited the hard drive lag as well as many other issues I had in the interim. He never suggested a hardware replacement even though, as I recently discovered, there was a recall on the model I purchased in January of 08, covering the very issues I had.
    On April 7, 2017 the computer had yet another catastrophic failure. I tried to restore data using the recovery console but to no avail, the system would not recognize the backup drive (I tested it and it was working fine) I recovered some of the data using Avast! Recovery and as soon as I tried to use the recovery console to reset to factory settings, the hard drive failed.

At this point I called HP tech support (3rd time in 1 year) and talked to a CSR, she was extremely helpful and patient but was unable to resolve my issue. I asked her to push me to a supervisor, who was immediately rude and insistent in the assertion that even though I had reported this as a problem and had been dissuaded from a repair that I should have called when the issue became apparent again. He tried to blame me for what was clearly a manufacturing defect, probably several. I expressed to him my annoyance that he had tried to place the blame on the shoddy design of their products on the consumer and even after going through great lengths to prove my case it was still “incumbent” upon me to follow up on an issue I had already reported.

The supervisor was rude, kept interrupting me and would not bow to reason. The fact seemed to be that HP wants to push even an inevitable failure from being replaced until after the warranty expires.

• Ei
      21st of Apr, 2009

We have an older HP printer & use their cartridges. I purchased a color cartridge 2 pack and when I went to use them, they didn't work. So, I purchased another one and it works fine. I have been told that they were dried up. I e-mail their warranty dept. and they insisted that I give them proof of buying the printer. (All correspondence came from foreign countries). I kept asking what this had to do with a defective cartridge? They insisted that they must have the info. So after crawling on the floor under a cart and trying to find the serial number etc., I received an e-mail that the printer is out of warranty. I sent them countless messages that the problem is not the printer. We received many different types of responses with each one stating the printer wasn't covered. Yesterday, I decided to call corporate. They wanted the receipt and told me that they would not replace the cartridge unless I had it. Since I had purchased this in a 2 pack, by the time I went to use them, the carbon-type receipt had faded and I believe I tossed it out. I said I would ship the cartridge to them and they refused that. I or my family or friends will never buy anything from them in the future. Fool me once, but not twice. Beware of them.