Heritage HealthcareFailure to evacuate during Gustav

1 Review updated:

My Mom was a resident of a nursing home located in Jefferson Parish for advanced Alzheimer's Disease. She required the use of oxygen & suction to prevent respiratory distress, & used a feeding tube. Prior to Gustav I was told that my Mom was evacuated to Hammond, but I didn't find out the name of the home until after we returned. She was evacuated to Heritage Healthcare Center in Hammond.

My husband & I stopped at a gas station in Hammond around 1:00 to use the bathroom & get gas on the way to Natchez, & were told to be quick because they were beginning evacuation in Hammond at 2:00 pm. I was hopeful that the nursing home my Mom was evacuated to would also evacuate, since most nursing homes in LA are afraid of law suits since what happened during Katrina.

We were allowed back into the area Wednesday morning Sept 3, 2008. After bringing our pets home, we went to my Dad's house to check on him. He stayed for the storm & I was unable to reach him because his house phone & cell phone wasn't working. While I was there his cellphone started working again, & he received a few messages from Heritage Healthcare. He returned the call & we learned that Momma passed away that morning at 9:10 am.

Heritage DID NOT evacuate, they lost power, & what we were told was that my Mom went into respiratory distress - probably because she was not being suctioned or receiving oxygen (both require electricity). No doubt she also wasn't getting anything through her feeding tube for the same reason. They told my Dad that they put her on morphine to keep her from suffering, which implies that she was having a hard time. I'm grateful for the fact that they at least gave her morphine, but why would they ignore a mandatory evacuation order???? I am positively infuriated at this nursing home!!!

I've looked on mapquest to find the location of Heritage Healthcare & they were literally right down the road from the gas station we stopped at that was closing early to evacuate!!!

Today I attend my Mom's funeral. Thank you Heritage Healthcare.

Comments

• Md
      Dec 14, 2009

I'm sorry for your loss, but Hammond has never been under a mandatory evacuation. Not even during Katrina.

• Re
      Jan 04, 2010

I am very sorry you lost your mom. That is never easy.

But your complaint is just simply not true. Hammond was not under a mandatory evacuation. If you would have bothered to ask someone other than a convenience store clerk you may have known this. Another fact is that Heritage Health care has a generator system which allows it run ALL equipment including peg tube pumps, suction machines, o2 concentrators, and even the air conditioner.

You stated and I quote "...they lost power, & what we were told was that my Mom went into respiratory distress - probably because she was not being suctioned or receiving oxygen (both require electricity). No doubt she also wasn't getting anything through her feeding tube for the same reason." You just ASSUMED she was not suction, you ASSUMED she did not receive her peg feedings; you ASSUMED she did not receive additional oxygen because you ASSUMED Heritage did not have electricity. Did you call Heritage to ask if they in fact lost electricity? Did you call the facilities DON to ask if your mom was receiving her needed suctioning, peg feedings, or oxygen? Did you stop by the facility to see what kind of condition it was in immediately after the Hurricane? If you would have bothered you may have noticed a facility running with full electric power, hot water, and fully staffed.

• Us
      Apr 04, 2016

Heritage Health 1090 W .Park Place dental was the worst ever seen, still healing from the injury that was sustained to the bottom of mouth, as formally stated, patient had already discharged itself from your dental clinic and WILL NOT be scheduling any further appointments with it. Noted the failed cover up attempts through the dirt water hick clinic to hide the injury to the bottom of the patients mouth right off. patient quits your clinic and will also send another formal and direct cancelation on it to the little chump mouth creep by the name of Mike Baker. Get over to more on injury conceals and hides

• Us
      Apr 04, 2016

beware of nasty little back wood dental twerps through small fry clinic of chaw bacon buffoons, actual clinic has non dentists trying to perform dentistry on victims as dentist leaves office, as direct complaint is made, failed threats to hide and conceal minor injury are made. That's 1090 N Park Place