Hercules Hook / Unauthorized using of credit card!

Once you give them your credit card number they give it to other services that call you offering deals on their services. I was called 4 times and refused their services which they still billed me. And I still believe that they will still call me even after calling them back and refusing their service and asking for my money back. I believe this is the scam they are using on every body that has ordered Hercules Hooks.

Va

Comments

• Co
      15th of Feb, 2007

I also purchased Hercules Hooks online (which, I discovered after the fact, you can buy at Kohl's Department store for $13.99...no s/h...with the laser level) and was asked to join At Home Rewards, which I declined. Hercules Hooks must have given them my credit card information because a few weeks later I had a charge of $14.95 posted to my account for At Home Rewards. I am furious and consider this an illegal, fraudulent charge.

After doing some research online I discovered that others have had problems with At Home Rewards also, and that it is a scam. But now, I am realizing that Hercules Hooks is also to blame and should be held accountable.

I called my credit union and they advised me to write a letter to them disputing the charge and that they would be able to credit my account (I'm certainly not going to waste my time trying to get Hercules Hooks or At Home Rewards to credit me). This should also flag my account to prevent any future charges from this company. If that doesn't work I will cancel my debit card and get a new one.

So, the moral of the story is...don't buy anything on line (especially with your debit card) unless it is from a legitimate, well known company (Target, Home Depot, etc.)!

• Ke
      5th of Mar, 2007

According to our credit card company these charges appear after you have either purchased something or accepted a free offer. The acceptance box usually has a bunch of yakity-yak language which most people won't read and hidden in the middle of the language is the fact that you are agreeing to buying a service from one, or all, of these bozo companies. We actually called the Des Plaines Police Dept where Dealpass, At Home Rewards+, SavingSmart, etc are headquartered now. They were well aware of the scam but couldn't do anything about it because the companies can prove that you clicked "accept" and they therefore have a legal right to charge you.

Be aware there is a related company in California called Bargain Network www.bargain.com. We got hit by three of these companies at once. We filed BBB complaints and also a complaint on the US Government Internet Crime Center site - http://www.ic3.gov.

Surprisingly the BBB complaint to the California company got almost instant results. They told us the credit card "must have been stolen" but wanted to fix our problems with them instantly. Evidently BBB complaints in California must have some teeth. The Des Plaines companies continued to blow us off. I took a guess that these companies were related and contacted Bargain Network in California and asked them to fix the Des Plaines problems. Much to my surprise they did! After only 3 days (hmpf) of messing around we now have all our money back.

This is a consumer protection loophole. No one should be able to sign you up for services without your explicit okay. I've written to my two senators and state representative asking them to see this loophole closed. Please do the same. It will put these bozos out of business.

14th of Mar, 2007

Just checked my checking account. Found $6.34 billed by Hercules Hook, TN on 3/12/07. Have not ordered subsequent hooks from company and when initial order placed refused all accompanying offers. Will try getting refund and stop additional charges by calling toll-free number.

8th of Apr, 2007

I was charged $49.95 instead of $15.95. What a scam. I'll let you know if they refund without complaint.

16th of Apr, 2007

Hercules Hook is the biggest scam I've ever faced. They obtain your credit card info before ever explaining the charges and confirming with the consumer. I contacted my credit card company to dispute the charges and my card was credited. More importantly however, I complained to the Tennessee Attorney General. They are actively on the case. I suggest more consumers contact them with their complaints--there is power in numbers! It angers me that they may refund a customer every once in a while (if they actively complain) but what about the thousands of dollars they are obtaining from unsuspecting customers who are too elderly or too naive to know how to dispute? This company needs to be shut down!

• Di
      20th of May, 2007

I brought some Hercules hooks on the phone in Feb. 2007 and just received them May 11th. I noticed on my checking account that I paid 97.03 for a set of 3 hooks on 3/7/2007 also when I received them I did not receive a invoice showing my charges or packing slip showing me how many they where to send. Also they sent them not in the original package.

• La
      8th of Jun, 2007

I bought the Hercules Hooks via the telephone. I had to "wade" through a dozen or so related but separate offers from that which I wanted - just the hooks. I am not aware of anything I said that would commit me to buying these hooks every month. But, every month I get more hooks and a charge on my credit card to go with it. I am writing the company to tell them to stop sending them and stop charging my account. If they fail to do so, I will next have my bank dispute the charges. If that fails, I will have a new credit card issues and the other one voided. This kind of thing should not happen. BTW, the day after I ordered, I found them at Walgreens in the As Seen on TV section! :-(

• Ra
      3rd of Aug, 2007

I Got these Hooks off the Website and I thought I was being charged 14.95 but was charged 40$ Dollars!! After I clicked ONE SET OF HOOKS about four times!
    This is the biggest SCAM and I'm not a happy costumer. Do Not Buy THESE HOOKS! I canceled my order and now I'm waiting to see if it canceled.

• Wi
      3rd of Oct, 2007

ordered these in August. My debit card was billed 8/27/07. This is 10/03/07 and still no hooks. I have e-mailed them twice with no response. I called and got put on hold with nauseating background noise.
    Billy - I 'll never order anything else you advertise!!!!!!!!

W. O. Crane

• To
      7th of Oct, 2007

We sell Heavy Duty Wall Hangers on www.drywallhooks.com. We are the original inventors of this product and have no affiliation with Hercules Hooks. We have so many customers that order from us because they have been waiting for their order from Hercules Hooks for over 4 weeks. We ship all our orders the next business day. We also don't keep your credit card on file so there will be no suprise charges every month like so many people complain about Hercules Hooks doing.

• Kr
      23rd of Nov, 2007

As soon as I ordered I realized it was a scam and my card would be charged regardless of denying all the offers. I immediately called my bank and had them cancel my debit card and re-issue another. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I beat them to the punch and won't need to file a dispute. I appreciate that people make the effort to warn others through these blogs. I'll file a complaint with my local BBB and send a letter to my Senator. I've seen these ads for years and wonder why they are still in operation. A dad state for us consumers.
    I've also had similar credit card charge issues with eHarmony and a company called Photoconnection. Photoconnection charged my card an additional $700! and eharmony $50. Too much small print. I need a magnifying glass to do business on the internet!
    Buyer beware!