Helio / Scam and rip off!

1 P.O. Box 513707Los Angeles, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 888-435-4655

On January 29 2008 I paid the bill in the amount of $ 136.31 and then closed the account regrettably I didn't change the billing address before I closed the account because afterwards Helio told me that I cannot change the billing address to pay the last bill the account is closed vary nice. In March I called to find out what the total amount owed for the early cancellation. What should have been $ 175 and Helio told me I owe 1, 400 and something because the account was not closed and that there are charges for the month of February and that the charges was sent to the collections agency.

That is not right with out trying to settle the issue with me first. The whole time for one year I have never seen the bill over $ 400 in a month. My Daughter change to a different phone that was her boyfriends Helio phone, I hope that Helio didn't combine his account with my bill together because I didn't authorize this transaction.

I then E-Mail Helio E-Mail Department to see if that part of Helio services can help me with the billing issue. Not a chance the Helio e-mail department stopped responding to my plead to recheck the billing issue or just to even send me a copy of February bill because my Daughter keeps on moving from place to places.

I will never again open a phone account for any of my children just to save them some money or Helio the ripoff artist.

Va

Comments

Dd
  10th of Apr, 2008

I signed up with Helio the 30th of January, 2008, supplying my own hardware from eBay. After 45 days I had not received an invoice via email or snail mail as promised. Finally, I received an alert to log into Helio.com and pay my account online. When I tried the password that Helio sent me on my phone, it wouldn't work. It turns out, that Helio won't allow you to set up your own initial password, AND they won't allow you to have access via online to your account if you have any past due amount - whether they invoiced you or not, AND they won't give support to customers via email. When I complained to the BBB, Helio said that I had never called them, which I had, and that I had to do that before they could start sending my invoices via email. To this date, I have yet to receive an invoice via email, though they say they have sent several, and I have yet to receive one via snail-mail, except for the one I requested when I called in. What I have received from Helio are alerts to pay my account online - which I can't do because they won't send a password - and also to upgrade some of my account features. Oh, and customer surveys sent out after I call them to complain.

Today, I tried porting my number from Helio to Verizon. The Helio customer service rep told me that it would be 1-2 hrs - I called them first on my active Verizon number to make sure things would go smoothly. However, when Verizon called to check the status of the port request, Helio told Verizon that it would be 2-10 Business days before the number could be released because Helio had LEASED my number to a third-party landline company and had to get permission from them first. Keep in mind, that Helio says that until the number is ported out, the account is still considered active and accruing fees even though they know the line is not being used. Therefore, the safest thing for me to do was to simply cancel the number, get a new one, and move on.

Now, I have a new number with Verizon to match the line I already had with them, great customer service in getting the account changed, and I have a confirmation number from Helio stating that the account with them is closed and they are sending me a final bill via the US Post Office...

If you already have an account with Helio and you need to call them, get the person's name and ID#. What they tell you verbally is never what they stand behind - get it in writing and understand this is a common problem for Helio customers. Also, check their BBB status rating. When I did last month, it was unsatisfactory.

Let my experience be an example - save your time, money, and frustration and use another wireless company. My personal favorite is Verizon.

Be
  12th of May, 2008

STAY WITH YOUR CURRENT CARRIER!! I HAVE BEEN WITH HELIO AND HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT A HEADACHE OF NUMEROUS OVERCHARGES AND COUNTLESS HOURS INVESTED INTO CUSTOMER SERVICE CALLS THAT LEAD TO ME BEING MYSTERIOUSLY DISCONNECTED ON (FROM BOTH MY CELL AND USING A LAND LINE), GOING AROUND AND AROUND IN CIRCLES GETTING NO WHERE AND BEING PUT OFF ON HOLD FOR AN HOUR AND FORTY EIGHT MIN "YES I WATCHED THE MIN GO BY". I HAVE THEIR 99.00 A MONTH PLAN FOR UNLIMITED AND HAVE BEEN CHARGED 9/07 150.00 AT THE LEAST, ALL THE WAY TO 3/08 696.07, WTF?? 2/08 573.32, 4/08 360.68, 5/08 369.08 AND EVERY MONTH NOT ONE SERVICE REP CAN EXPLAIN TO ME THE BREAKDOWN FOR WHERE THE CHARGES GOT TO BE THIS SUM, INSTEAD EXPLAIN TO ME " IT SAY HERE YOU OWE ($$$.$$) SO YOU MUST PAY ($$$.$$) CAUSE DAT YO BILL FO DIS LAS MONTH!!" AND THAT IS THE MOST INTELLIGENT EXPLANATION I'VE YET TO GET. I HAVE TRIED TO CALL THE CORP OFFICE AND HAVE ONLY BEEN ROUTED TO VOICE MAIL BOX AFTER MAIL BOX AND AM STILL WAITING FOR MY MESSAGES TO BE RETURNED, I HAVE EMAILED COMPLAINTS REQUESTING HELP IN REGARDS TO MY BILLING ISSUES ASKING FOR A BREAKDOWN IN THE CHARGES AND I GET NOTHING I HAVE NOW FILED A COMPLAINT WITH THE BBB WHOM IS CURRENTLY LOOKING INTO THE MATTER ALONG WITH HAVING NOW HIRED AN ATTORNEY TO DEAL WITH THE ISSUE ACCORDINGLY BECAUSE I CANNOT TAKE THE RUN AROUND BS. OF BEING TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF AS THE CONSUMER. I SHOULD HAVE NEVER SWITCHED FROM AT&T WHOS SERVICE NEVER FAILED ME AND HAD CUSTOMER SERVICE 24/7/365 TO HELP ME WHENEVER I WANTED NOT JUST BETWEEN THE 9-5 HOURS WHEN YOU DON'T EVER NEED THEM. WEEKENDS HOLIDAYS AND EVERY AT&T REP I EVER SPOKE WITH WAS HAPPY TO HELP, RESOLVED WHATEVER ISSUES I RARELY HAD, DID NOT LEAVE ME ON HOLD AND IF EVER WE GOT DISCONNECTED THEIR CS REP ACTUALLY CALLED ME BACK. NO KIDDING THEIR REPS EVEN SPOKE ENGLISH. I REGRET EVER SWITCHING INTO THE HELIO NONSENSE OF FALSE ADVERTISING WHEN THEY SAY "TOTAL HAPPINESS GUARANTEE" IF THAT IS NOT THE BIGGEST LIE, THEY HAVE SHOWN NOT ONE ATTEMPT TO BETTER THE SITUATION WHEN NOT ONE EMPLOYEE FROM THE CORP OFFICE CAN EVEN HAVE A INTERN E MAIL ME, HOW HJARD IS IT TO PROVIDE A CUSTOMER WITH A TALLIED BREAKDOWN OF CHARGES SHOWING HOW THE SUM ADDED UP, I KNOW ON LINE I HAVE PRINTED EVERY BILL AND EVERY PAYMENT DOING BASIC ADDITION AND SUBTRACTION AND I SHOW HELIO OWING ME A FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS IN OVER CHARGES! IF THEY CHOOSE TO BEG TO DIFFER I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE THEIR HUDINI MATH SKILLS CONSIDERING THE ONLY THING I HAVE SEEN OUT OF THIS COMPANY IS FALSE ADVERTISING, POOR BUSINESS LIKE MANNERISMS AND THEIR NAME BEING LIT UP AS SCAMELIO. THIS COMPANY IS A BIG ZERO IF YOU HAVE YET ENCOUNTERED THEIR POOR TACT HOORAY FOR YOU STAY AWAY AND IF YOUR STUCK IN THEIR TRAP BEST OF LUCK I HOPE YOU DON'T NEED IT!

An
  13th of Jun, 2008

I wish I had found these complaints before I got my Helio. I have had a horrible experience with this company and I truly believe they are scammers. The billing problems that people have reported are insane and i have had them as well. My bill always says I have a past due balance, but when I called customer service they said I didn't.

I also took my phone into the store because it was freezing up periodically. The salesgirl said she could upgrade my software. Instead she loaded someone elses contacts, texts, pictures and videos onto my phone and deleted ALL OF MY INFORMATION and also shut off my serivce, which took 5 days to restore!!!

Customer service is a joke. Once when I called, they told me to call back because their computer froze and they had to reboot. I asked to be transferred to another customer service rep and they said they couldn't do that!!! They are a complete waste of time and energy. Unfortunately taking the phone to the Helio store is no better.

Je
  1st of Jul, 2008

This same thing happened to me!! I flied complaints with the FCC and Better Business Bureu. Helio is so horrible.

Le
  2nd of Sep, 2008

Helio is the biggest ripoff wireless provider I've ever encountered. I am taking them to a small claims court to get my money back. It's the only way I can get their attention to resolve my problems with them. So If you're are thinking of subscribing to Helio just to save money, I highly suggest you stick with a reputable company that will do business the right way and save you the big headache in the long run.

Dw
  2nd of Sep, 2008

YOU WANT TO SAVE MONEY, TIME AND THE HEADACHES??? STAY AWAY FROM HELIO. That's all you have to know, otherwise you'll end up like the rest of us. I thought I was getting a great deal from them (Helio) with their $99 unlimited everything promo. WOW!!! was I in for a big surprise. DON'T LET THEIR GIMMIK ADS LURE YOU INTO SIGNING UP WITH HELIO.

Na
  1st of Oct, 2008

I returned my Helio phone within the 30 day trial period. This was June of 2007. I remember this, because I returned it so I could buy a new iPhone. I bought the iPhone, banking on the fact that I would get my refund within a few weeks. Here it is October of 2008 and I am still spending hours on the phone with Helio customer service. I have not received a check yet. Now, I will admit, I have let months go by without calling. But at the beginning of the whole process I was on top of them constantly. They will not give me a direct answer as to why a refund check hasn't been cut. The girl I'm on the phone with today, says her system show that a refund has been authorized but still no check. So I am holding and holding and holding to find out WHERE THE HELL IS MY CHECK!

Ms
  1st of Oct, 2008

Hey i Need to find out more info on adding my name to the complaint list. I am furious, with helio's Service. And all i have been is a good paying customer. I just Got off the phone, With helio. I was trying to find out when i was going to receive my Deposit back. (since i was on time with my bill pay). Now mind you i spoke with helio in september about this. Well the gave me some bogus number to track my deposit. Then they are telling me Now i have another 7 months to wait for it back. because they have seen i have a few late payments. Which was never my fault. and i have proof on my account as well. That's only the Half. Out of the year an 2 months. I have had over 10 phones replaced, For problems not of my doing examples : phone re setting, powers off while on phone talking or while charging. phone browser not working, phone syncing not working, there is a list. then to charges from who knows. i have been charged every month for overage on I'm when the fact is I have always Had the unlimited plan from the beginning. How can this Be, I asked them all they cal tell me is it will be corrected next month an yet it still goes up more. And i have to have the headache of having t spent at least an hour at a time on there mess up when i call. But there is still more i can write a book. just stay away from helio. Even virgin mobile is somewhat better..count down to close i'm out~

Ri
  2nd of Oct, 2008

I've only had one problem with Helio and they took care of it within a couple of hours after I called them.

Other than that I've never paid over $70 a month (except for the first month with the activation fee of course), I have not had anywhere NEAR the amount of connection problems and dropped calls I had when I was with Verizon. Helio runs off Sprints network and apparently Sprint is MUCH better than Verizon.

My experience with Helio has been amazing. Any communication between myself and their Customer Support has been quick, to the point and the issue was resolved. Most of my issues were really just me not doing something right or asking a simple question.

All I'm saying is don't think just because a group of people have bad experiences that the company is horrible. Sure there are people that think Helio is a "scam" (how, I have no idea--this makes no sense). However almost everyone I know has had HORRIBLE experiences with Verizon (some people I know are still stuck with them), but there are still people out there who are happy with Verizon. My girlfriend and I will NEVER go back to them.

People who have a bad experience are more likely to tell people about it. There are MANY more people who have had great experiences.

Tr
  5th of Nov, 2008

Going to have to agree with most others here, with a few caveats.

First, the goods: I have had no problem with Helio service (meaning voice/data) and the only problem I had with my Ocean dying was resolved within a week. (It is unfortunate that that is a positive with Helio, since I was without phone/service the entire time. Kinda like, we know it's going to happen, but the positive is how quickly we fix it! What kind of logic is that?)

The only real negative I have had with Helio is, to me, a big one. Their customer service is simply atrocious. The scenario (unfortunately this seems to be common as it has happened three times in the 13 months I have been with them): Payment due date is the 3rd of the month. Very literally, on the 4th at 3 p.m., the phone calls start coming. Today being the 5th, I have had 3 phone calls from Helio asking if I was ever going to get around to paying my bill. I should note that I pay my bill, in full, every month, excluding the times when the due date falls on the weekend. In addition to the 3 phone calls, I have received two SMSs asking the same. This is beyond annoying. Look guys, I know I have to pay the bill. Tack a few bucks late fee on it and I'll pay that to. No sweat. Just leave me the hell alone about it! If this was the first time for their behavior, I'd be inclined to think I was a risk and they were really "just checking in on me". But I have been there long enough to establish a payment history. Use your brain, guys. (Seriously considering paying the termination fee and switching back to Verizon, it's that bad!!)

La
  18th of Apr, 2009

I have been with Helio exactly 1 year 12 days. I switched over from metropcs because I wanted a cool phone with cool features and the ocean seemed very promising. I was so happy with the phone that I even convinced my husband to drop nextel and get it. About 2 months after having my phone I began to notice that the phone was dying ridiculously fast, even the days I would barely touch it. Instead of calling I went to the kiosk I got the phone from and the guy gave me a new battery promising that would solve the problem. It didn't. I went back and he said he would replace the device for a new one, 2 seconds later he said he couldn't and to call helio directly. That same day I called and told them my problem and since I didn't have insurance (because insurance is a scam!) I would be getting a refurbished phone. The phone they sent was an insult to say the least. It was full of scratches and the slider was messed up. Even without the insurance I was expecting a decent phone since I had forked money over for a new one. Needless to say I sent the garbage phone back. The battery hasn't gotten any worse but since moving to California my signal has been terrible and the Internet is slooow. "Customer Service" is horrible and whatever they tell you is usually wrong. Fortunately for me my bill has never been over except one month by $30 which I never called about even though I didn't know why. My husbands phone is starting to die fast and he isn't getting email notifications anymore. Helio is a joke and I desperately want to cancel but I can't afford 2 cancellation fees (or is it per account only?).