Heil Heat Pump / I will NOT get another Heil

United States Review updated:
4.6
My heat pump was down most of the winter last year. The service tech got it fixed again just before spring. The a/c worked great this summer, but as soon as it got cold enough for the heat, it would not heat again. The service guy replaced a recalled part & it heated for 17 days. I've tried to contact the company, but I have only been able to e-mail them. My service guy can't get any co-operation out of the local rep. Needless to say if I have to replace this unit that is only 3 years old, I will NOT get another Heil.
Va

Comments

Eh
  20th of May, 2009
Installation will determine how equipment will operate do you have a out door stat for the heat pump? The most important thing, when buying furnaces and air conditioners is proper sizing and installation of equipment. The proper sizing and installation of a furnace or air conditioner will determine three things, comfort, efficiency, and longevity.

ACCA
Sizing and Installation
Your new heating and cooling system should be a custom fit for your home. Sizing and a handful of other installation practices can dramatically affect how well your new equipment will deliver comfort and savings. Expect to pay a little more for a good contractor who follows these practices.
Calculate the size of equipment
For starters your new furnace, boiler, heat pump or air conditioner should be sized to fit your home. You can request a copy of the design load calculation used to determine the right size of equipment for your home. A good contractor will not size your equipment solely on the square footage of your house or assume that your existing equipment was sized properly in the first place. Proper equipment sizing is based your home's heat loss during cold weather and heat gains during warm weather. For more information about sizing use the new Central Air Conditioner Sizing Tutorial.
To complete the design load calculation the contractor will need to take measurements during the initial visit to your home and ask you some questions. The calculation is usually done using software, and should be based on professional guidelines such as Manual J from the Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA) or similar method. Oversized equipment can cause reduced comfort and excessive "air" noise. Oversizing will shorten the life of the equipment by causing it to cycle on and off more frequently than a properly-sized unit. Undersized equipment, with airflow that is too low, can reduce the efficiency of the air distribution and accelerate wear on system components, leading to earlier failure.
After the design load calculation is completed, ducts, supply registers, and return grilles can be sized and selected using professional guidelines in ACCA's Manual D or similar method.
Proper refrigerant charging
If your are installing a new central air conditioner or heat pump you should know that recent field studies suggest that approximately 75% of installed cooling equipment may have incorrect amount of refrigerant. Incorrect refrigerant level can lower efficiency by 5 to 20% and can ultimately cause premature component failure, resulting in costly repairs that could have been prevented. A good contractor will use one of three methods, recommended by equipment manufacturers, to verify the correct refrigerant level. These methods include super-heat, sub-cooling, or weigh. Ask your contractor how they verify the refrigerant level is correct.
In addition, you should know that since 1992, in order to protect the earth's atmosphere (ozone layer), all technicians must be certified to handle refrigerant. Ask them to show you proof of refrigerant handling certification.
De
  24th of Jul, 2009
I had same problem as above. Only I get heat but no air. So all summer long i have been without cool air. My unit is only three years old. I will not purchase other one and I will make sure my friends and family never do either. Its a shame nothing is dependable
Tr
  29th of Mar, 2010
i have install over 150 heil unit the size range from 1.5-5 ton the most common problem i have with them is charging the unit in the winter, i have had 2 that were bad, defrost board, and a line temp switch, i have install all type of unit. you will get a bad one out of any brand you use. i install over 650 unit in 10 year
Za
  27th of May, 2012
i thank there needs to be a class-action lawsuit on this company to replace al these units.i brought mine 5 years ago .and its never work not even one year .without a issue. i siting here right now sweating because mine air dont work every-year .and it was installed in brandnew in new home.and company that put it in never fixed it either .so ya its junk and needs a whole new unit and i dont got money to put new one in.and shouldn't have to since it was supose to be new unit with 10 year warranty that no good.because company dosnt stand by there products.its the company that needs to.replace all these junk units we shouldn't be reponsable for there junk, .
St
  24th of Jan, 2014
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I agree I had my 3ton unit installed when I had my house built in Oct2008. In 2010 I had the air handler coils replaced cause of leak. Christmas 2013 they started acting up running for hours on in. Service man checked for leaks almost same spot leak. Just bad products. If we all do a class action law suit I'm in!
Ch
  24th of May, 2016
I had mine installed in 2006 it keeps linking blowing fuses don't work . been issued since it was installed.& People that installed it wants to just fix it temporary noing it gonna not work besides having it replaced.so home owner get screwed out 1000$
Be
  15th of Dec, 2016
My Heil heat pump is less than 2 years old. The man that installed my Heat Pump, Fred Hess, 2741 Warm Springs Rd., Huntingdon, PA 16652 phone
Number 814 643 0977; will not answer my calls. My heat pump has not been cleaned this year. When I call, he hangs up. When he installed my Heat Pump, he broke a water line and spigot. the original spigot was a frost free and he replaced it - after I found it broken and called his attention to it; with a CHEAP handle that he welded to a piece of steel pipe; that broke during the winter (2015/16) and left water run down thru my block wall when I opened the spigot. I had to pay a plumber to fix my spigot and water line. Do yo.u have another Heil heat pump installer in my area.