Health Care And Rehabilitation Services / Awful company

An LICSW, Julie Cunningham of Families First in Wilmington, VT asked my husband to attend an HCRS meeting called ACT 264 to assist us in getting help for our challenged teenaged son. My husband (who has cognitive disabilities and obviously needed accomodation) walked into the room trusting that these credentialed professionals would be knowlwdgeable and supportive.

They greeted him with intimidating, daggering eye glares and interrogated him in a criminal suspect manner, bullying him fearsomely and duressing him for "consent" to take our son into state custody.

This terrifying set-up was conducted by Bill Metcalfe of Health Care and Rehabilitation Services (HCRS)in Brattleboro, Vermont. Nobody had warned my husband that he would need an attorney. He had no opportunity to find or request an advocate of any kind, even though at least two people in that room knew that he was disabled. Worst of all, he was degraded and humiliated in front of his handicapped teenage son.

As he was leaving the meeting, shaking from shell-shock, Julie Cunningham approached him and informed that this was not happening because he was a bad parent, but because of "funding" issues.

Immediately my husband went back to his job, trembling with horror at what had just happened. But he was not left alone to concentrate on his work. HCRS Counselor Linda Heimerdinger called and demoralized him for "raising your voice" at a loud and defiant teenager. She proudly proclaimed that she never, ever raised her voice at her own teens. But she was never sneak tape recorded in the privacy of her own home, as we were. I was shocked that the state could take kids away simply for occasional yelling, particularly when caught by warrantless tape recordings planted in your home during stressful times.

The Child Maltreatment allegation was dropped but my husband is still suffering from PTSD. He has been suffering for more than 2 years.

In

Comments

• Ca
      2nd of Oct, 2009

My grandmother just checked into legend oaks health and rehabilitation last friday and since then she has already had an accident she fell out of the bed while having a diabetic low 2 days after she checked in and the nurse that found her simply told her she needed to get up because she had physical therapy after she ate breakfast which they did not bring her until an hour or so afterwards and by then she said it was ice cold. She had to check into this place because she had a diabetic low at home and fell out of the bed and broke her ankle and had to have surgery she is only in there temporarily but since she has been in there she has fell out of the bed bruised her face, blacked her eye, broke her tooth off, and cut her arm do to her falling. The nurses never filed a report nor did they tell the administrator she has also had issues with them giving her her pain medications i have talked to the administrator myself but it hasnt seem to help. I can only imagine how they treat the elderly people who doesnt have families to take care of them or complain. I need help, what should i do?