HBS Books / Monthly membership fees

1 FL, United States Review updated:

I purchased and recieved a book from these people and a month later I was debited 19.95 for a "membership" with a monthly fee. When I called them they said they would cancel my "membership". This scam probably makes millions. How do we stop them????

Bi

Comments

• Jd
      17th of Aug, 2009

Same thing happend to me - this is BS - I did not sign up for anything??? What do you get for that monthly fee - R-I-P-O-F-F

• Si
      21st of Aug, 2009

same thing happened to me...i am calling them and going to get it canceled...i haven't even received the book i ordered...

• Am
      2nd of Sep, 2009

I need a number to call for this.. I didn't order books either and I had a charge of 19.95 4 times in two days..Please help!!!

• Do
      15th of Sep, 2009

Unfortunately we got wrapped up into this too. Be careful and read the fine print. I don't recall agreeing to sign up for any sort of membership but there it was a $19.95 fee on our card after the 3 day "trial period". Funny I didn't get a welcome packet until I called and asked what the heck I was signed up for. That was the first time I knew of any sort of "discount club". Then to top it off they wouldn't refund it because the account was in my wife's name when we ordered the books. What a scam. Report them if you've fallen victim,

• Me
      16th of Oct, 2009

I was a victim too, I purchased from HOTBOOKS.com a $12 book for college, then that month i got charged $19.95, then next month... and the next month too. I didn't even called them, because I knew they weren't going to do anything, I called my bank... Wachovia. In less than 15 minutes, problem solved, no arguing or nothing. They said the best thing to do was to cancel my credit card so no other future charges will be made. hoorahz.

• Ta
      19th of Oct, 2009

This has happened to me too. I called and cancelled. I now have $65.32 in money I cannot seem to get back. Don't order from these people. You will be charged $19.95 every month for something you don't get. I'm going to do a write up on myspace and facebook.

• To
      10th of Dec, 2009
    HBS Books - scam
    Florida

hbs books filled a $10 order for a book in September 09. I gave them my credit card number for billing. They billed me the $10. However the next month I was billed $19.95 for membership????? I have been unable to talk to anyone about this other than an asian answering service. HBS has a PO box in Boca Raton and I have filed a complaint with the BBB there.

• Av
      1st of Apr, 2010

This is a big scam!!! They owe me $59.85 that I have been trying to get back for MONTHS!! They enve sent me an email, saying that they owed me this money and to allow two billing cycles to receive the credit on my credit card bill. Now that I have waited the 2 billing cycles, it is beyond the the 60 limit for my credit card company to issue the credit or help me get my money back in any way. AVOID HBS BOOKS!!! They are Liars and Thieves!! Does anyone have a phone number for these jerks?

• 3i
      2nd of Mar, 2011
    HBS Books - Subscription scam and unauthorized charges
    HBS Books

HBS books filled a $10 order for a book in September 09. I gave them my credit card number for billing. They billed me the $10. However the next month I was billed $19.95 for membership. I have been unable to talk to anyone about this other than an asian answering service. HBS has a P.O box in Boca Raton and I have filed a complaint with the BBB there.