Harvard Auto Sales / Refused to return $500 holding deposit

Wow ... didn't see that one coming. Put $500 down as a holding deposit on a FJ Cruiser, and went home while Harvard Auto (Lower Sackville, NS Canada) took time to determine financing arrangements through various banks.

When they called us with the numbers it was 7.09% on a five year fixed with $4500 remaining to buy out. Meaning the $23, 500 FJ Cruiser would end up costing $30, 500.

This happened on a Saturday, I told Natasha, on the phone, that I would go to my bank to arrange financing instead, and call back on Monday.

We decided that it was not financially prudent to proceed once we knew the debt load we would have to carry.

I called Harvard Auto asking for our "holding deposit" to be returned ... after relay the reasons for our decision. Steve English (Brice)/ sales manager ... simple said "NO ... we've already gone ahead and cleaned the vehicle."

Nowhere on our receipt for our holding deposit does it say non-refundable nor was it spoken to us that this was the case.

Consumer Affairs tells me that its buyer beware ... the Better Business Bureau doesn't deal with this since we don't own the vehicle.

And as of this writing, I'm waiting for my lawyer to call back.

Avoid Harvard Auto Sales.

Le

Comments

• Fr
      11th of Aug, 2011

Yeah, I was too late! I got sucked in to buying a car there... NEVER AGAIN! They tried to suck me in to paying the $500 deposit, but I told them, "If you sell the car by the time I get off work tomorrow, go ahead, I'll find another one".

Then... I bought that car ... oh boy... breaks went (said there was nothing wrong when the tow truck got it there), power steering line blew twice ... I told them it was leaking all over the place. At that time the Service Manager stated to me on the phone after I called to get the status of it... "The technician couldn't hear any winding in the steering" If the technician couldn't hear that... he shouldn't be a technician... and all they could say when I complained was "ARE YOU PAYING FOR IT?" (HAD MY NEW CAR A TOTAL OF APPROXIMATELY 14 DAYS OUT OF THE FIRST MONTH OF PURCHASE) ... The car was used, but I was told by my sales guy, Richard, that it would be in like-new condition which is even stated on their website... Now I know why they are not part of the Better Business Bureau -- I should have check that before buying there.

My father bought a car at a dealership in Dartmouth, NS ... Race Auto Group ... now there is a customer service oriented dealership. AMAZING! They gave him a gift card for 5 FREE oil changes, and thank you card, and amazing customer service. That's how they all should be.

I I WILL NEVER REFER, NEVER EVEN LET IT CROSS MY MIND TO GO THERE AGAIN, AND I WILL ALWAYS TELL EVERYONE I MEET OR KNOW TO AVOID THAT DEALERSHIP AT ALL COSTS!

To top it all off... they didn't register my car ... I was driving my car past the 30day registration limited thinking that they had transferred the plates to my old car to my new car (Which I paid for )... I called Harvard Auto, they assured me that the girl they had doing the registration would not miss registering my car. However, it could be that I had a fine or parking violations, etc. So being completely pissed off, I called Access Nova Scotia (giving them the benefit of the doubt). I have never had a traffic or parking violation in my 18 years of driving. Mid July, I was assured they would refund me, however, I never received the refund of $12.10. I know it's not a lot of money, and I should have billed them for MY TWO HOURS SITTING IN ACCESS NOVA SCOTIA, and my 30 MINUTE DRIVING TIME. They are quite the outfit, and I want everyone to know what they could be in for.

Cheers! Avoid Harvard Auto Sales Lwr. Sackville