Harnett County Public Utilities Dept. / Hidden fees to have water reconnected

Our water was shut off in between paydays. it took us 2 days to borrow the money to have the water turned back on. after reviewing the bill and calling the water company we were informed there was a 30.00 reconnect fee. Easy enough we paid the bill including the 30.00 reconnect fee only to find out AFTER we paid that if we wanted the water turned back on THE SAME DAY it would be an additional 45.00

not sure if that is only for military members? (they seem very unappreciated in this area) or if this is for everyone.. also not sure how legal it is as we were never made aware of this policy. I even recorded a phone call with Sammy (or Jenny)? phelps the manager where she said the only place that is posted is in the office. I have never been into the office my husband had the water turned on when we moved into this place. So the manager said she would "do me a favor" by charging the the extra 45.00 to our next bill in order to get the water turned on tonight. (it's a friday evening the only other option would be to wait until monday and I have 4 children)

be careful if you get service from these people. also when there was a huge water leak out of a water main that wasn't even mine. I had only called to make them aware there was a HUGE river going down the dirt road next to my house they told me to call a plumber?? What kind of inhumane business is this?

Va

Comments

• Ny
      15th of Mar, 2009

this is the worst company i have ever seen!!! i have tried to call them on the phone and you can't!! this is the only water company i have ever seen that you cannont call on the phone!! what if there is an emergency?? or any one needs to call for any reason?? you can't, all you get is a run around voice mail and then it hangs up! so they will turn your water off if you can't call them or can't get to the office then charge the outragious fees to turn the water back on. if you go to the office and tell them you can't reach them by phone they act like they don't know what your talking about, , idiots!!! this is so out of control!!

• Co
      25th of Jan, 2017

Omg!!! I thought this only happened to my husband and myself they just did that to us so now we have to come up with 143.00 to get it turned on. they turned us off BEFORE our bill was due! I hate harnett county.

• Un
      30th of Oct, 2018

Worst customer service ever water was never turned off but 1 day late because their automated service had the day wrong they charged me a $40 reconnect fee. Hey stupid it wasn't off so why do u charged a reconnect fee. Seems it depends on what kind of day the employees are having wether they are humane or not. But i guess when you get what you pay for meaning low budget low paid employees you get the bottom of the bucket for employees. Pay more and put the ones you have on the unemployment line and see if they need help. I bet their attitude changes . Hartnett county needs a better system and employees don't forget we pay your big salaries. Monopolies should be illegal even for the county fyi

• Bo
      14th of Nov, 2018

@Unhappyalready @unhappyalready, you are exactly right! There is one gal in particular that is very hateful. As I explained to her on the phone today, I tried to call on their phone payment system last night and pay my bill, but it wasn't working. I called first thing this morning to pay and they'd charged me a $40 reconnect fee [which I could hear on the phone but could not hear online], though my water had not been shut off. So, I paid the bill (minus the $40 reconnect fee) and called their customer service to explain that I had tried to pay it the night before but their system was not working and would be appreciative if they would pull the reconnect fee since the water had not been shut off and the bill was now paid in full. She basically told me 'too bad' your payment should've been here when we opened the doors this morning. So, I asked her to explain it to me why, if they didn't have to come disconnect, they wouldn't cancel the work order. And she said in order to have the work order for disconnect I would have to pay the $40 fee - which MIND YOU is STILL NOT showing on my account online. I told her that I could barely afford to pay the bill, let alone the reconnect fee - which is why I had tried to pay it the night before. And her attitude was so hateful. At the end of the conversation, while I am in tears, she said either I pay the $40.00 or they would come disconnect my water - EVEN THOUGH my bill was paid in full and my account said my balance was $0.00. They do have the ability to waive the fee, if the water has not been disconnected. But, again - don't know if she was having a bad day or is just an unhappy, hateful human being. So...my water was disconnected five hours AFTER I spoke to this pleasant woman. Harnett County does need a better system, and you are correct about where their salaries come from. HAPPY THANKSGIVING HARNETT COUNTY EMPLOYEES.