Harley-Davidson / harley-davidson's lack of info to buyers

My compliant is that I have a 05 FAT BOY and it uses oil. I called Harley-Davidson customer service and they advised me that it was normal and within specs that new Harley's use one quart of oil every 1500 miles. I feel Harley-Davidson should tell the customer that their new bike more than likely will be using oil. I sure would not buy a new vehicle if I know it will be using oil!!! Nothing is stated in owners manual about oil consumption and they recommend oil change at every 5,000 miles, my question to Harley-Davidson is why change the oil when I have to keep adding new oil every 1500 miles? If the general public was made aware of this issue, not many new Harley's would be sold.

Comments

• Ed
      9th of Apr, 2007

I am a former phd mechanic from local dealers here where i live. I have worked on them for going on 32 yrs. Harley suckers you in to buying by the looks of the bike. They are very strict about what gets fixed under warranty. They have had alot of complaints over the years with their products. From 1995-1998, the fuel injected touring models smoked.the reason for this, they notched the left flywheel for the injector censor. This created a paddle wheel effect which threw oil from the flywheel up to the front of the rear cylinder and it blew by the rings. (i own one of these fuel injected pieces of junk.) my front rod bearings went south at 45000 miles.so then i purchased everything to make it carburated. Cost alot to do this but now it performs with using oil. In 1999 and up twin cam motors have so called piston cooling jets. Could be cause of your smoking.

• Ed
      9th of Apr, 2007

Like to correct some thing. My bike now runs without smoking or using oil at 1500 miles.

• Da
      21st of Jul, 2007

I bought an 07 v rod with security. What a nightmare. No info on how to set or delete security. Piss poor engineering. I have the bike but you never know when the security will work or not. It has stranded me twice. The manual says fob will not if in metal box or around a cell phone. The bike is made of metal and who does not carry a cell phone on a bike? What a joke! I have been riding for 30 plus years and I am done with harley! Hello BMW!

• Ro
      7th of May, 2008

A few years ago I was in a trafffic accident with my '03 superglide. I took it to William's harley davidson in New Jersey. The gas tank was dented and needed replacing. Harley sent a defective replacement tank to me and I rejected it. After repeated denials that the tank was defective, the dealer finally admitted that there was a problem and secured yet another tank for me. I received a call that the tank had been replaced and that the bike was finished. The next day i noticed that the defective tank was never replaced and that I had been lied to. Needless to say I will never use this dealership again and I would advise others not to do so either.

• Ka
      24th of Jul, 2008

need a phone call from the office of the ceo on the warrenty that Allen, TX is not covering. 214-578-2083

• Hu
      21st of Nov, 2008

I have been waiting three months for a new tank for my 04 night train, my fault was paying for it before shipping, the ### will keep my money for another three months before I get my part. Hello HONDA, here I come

• Hu
      21st of Nov, 2008

Harley is a good bike, the japanese make better ones

14th of Oct, 2018
    Harley Davidson - Motorcycle /model-XL883N/vin no.MEG4LE2N5GN426365/eng no.LE2G426365
    kota
    India

Sent to jaipur dealerDunes Harley Davidson from kota which is 250 kms away from jaipur under warranty replacement of metre and battery failure .Parts not available before three months.Front metre water entered and stop working, They refused replacement which is very shocking for trusted services and brand.