Harley-Davidson / too hot

I have a 2008 HD Ultra Glide. I received first degree burns on my thighs while sitting in traffic. Has any one else had problems with engine getting that hot to cause burns?

This new engine runs hot even when doing 60mph, but have not had any mechanical problems.

I think when a person purchases a vehicle it should be safe to drive without having to worry about getting burnt.

Are there any solutions to this problem?

Does anyone know of any class action law suites taking place because this type of injury or if HD is going to initiate a recall to prevent burns.

Va

Comments

• To
      8th of Jul, 2008

The Dealership can correct this problem for you. Anyone that is into Harley's have known of this for sometime, where have you been?

• Ke
      11th of Jul, 2008

so what can i do to to decrease the heat my 2008 street glide puts out

15th of Jul, 2008

The dealer is not doing a god damn thing fyi...they told me it is because the EPA has required stricter emmissions and require that the bike runs extremely lean causing the pipes to be hotter than they ever have been before(they were hot before but bearable)Unless you have an 07 or 08 do not comment because the problem is serious!!!Do not buy a new 08 ultra!!!

29th of Jul, 2008

I have a 2008 Heritage softail and I'm with you. The dealer won't do anything. I just got off mine and decide to take some temperature readings of my own. The temperature sitting on top of the rear cylinder head is 297 deg and at the exhaust outlet is 597 deg. No wonder I'm burnt to a crisp...

• Ba
      5th of Aug, 2008

ive got an 08 ultra and i agree..its to hot, , i wish someone could tell me a solution, , ive asked every tech i could find, , and all had different comments, , so i dont know what to do, , , please help, , thanks

• Da
      13th of Aug, 2008

I have another issue with HD. I own a 2006 Electraglide Standard. Bought it used with 5K on the odometer. Ran like a clock until 13K. I have this metal grinding noise similar to a coffee grinder grinding coffee on the right side of the engine. I've been living with this for the last 8K since no one at the dealer will lift a finger and truly investigate my problem. I finally found an independent HD certified mechanic who is pretty sure the trans bearings are shot or possibly cam tensioner bearings or cam chains, or the chain tensioners. All I know is that it's miserable to ride as the noise is constant above 35mph cold or hot. I'm getting desperate as my wife's Dyna makes the same noise. Any help is appreciated.

• Br
      10th of Sep, 2008

I BOUGHT A 08 ULTRA. TOOK IT IN FOR THE 1000 MI CHECK UP. RAN THE BIKE 2500 MI AND CHECKED THE OIL. IT SHOWED IT WAS 8 OZ LOW. WENT TO THE DEALER AND SAID THAT WAS NORMAL. ALSO SAID THAT A QUART OF OIL I N 1000 MI WAS NORMAL. I NEED AN E-MAIL ADDRESS OR PHONE MO TO GET A HOLD OF SOMEONE THANK YOU

• Bo
      13th of May, 2010

I have a 07 Ultraclasic and the first time in traffice I too burnt my theigh. The dealer did nothing. I did find some aftermarket heat deflecters. I have installed them and it is better or at least manageable.

Maybe I shouldn't ride in the summer.

• Ji
      10th of Jun, 2011

Just bought 2011 HD Trike. After riding this bike for 40 miles, it feels like your leg is burning off. I've had other Harleys and never experienced this before. We went on vacation for 2 wks. and trip was cut short after getting 2nd degree burns on right leg and 1st degree burns on inside of upper crotch area on both legs. I spent the rest of the trip riding with a wet towel between my legs to ride on.
    Another friend of mine bought her trike on Saturday while we were on vacation and she too experienced the same thing after driving 40 miles. She had to pull off the road because she thought she was going to pass out. We will both be taking our trikes back to the dealership on Tuesday for them to fix this problem.
    JM-Eastern Shore HD Dealership