Handyman Club of America / unauthorized membership!

1 Roseville, MN, United States Review updated:
Phone: 651-639-0854

My son who is now 20 has been hassled by this club for 4 years, and now has been turned over to a collection agency. He has never agreed to be a life member, and is being billed for over $300.00 for things we never received, or consented to. What can we do in this situation? Plz advise smb!

Comments

• Mi
      15th of Dec, 2007

What can be done they just start sending magazines then a bill without any one ordering it this is against the law... How can they collect!!! There is no contact info!!!

• Wi
      11th of Jan, 2008

I have received a Official Notification letter from HANDYMAN OF AMERICA stating that my membership dues is three months overdue. I never joined HANDYMAN. They also state that if they do not receive payment within the next 10 days, they will refer this to a licensed collection agency. I have gone to their website but see NO way of contacting them. The letter was signed by K. Pope--Treasurer??? The sad thing is, I have seen the Handyman magazine and was considering subscribing!!

• Pa
      13th of Feb, 2008

This is a horrible company. How can you expect people to pay for something they never ordered in the first place! And then start legal action!!! I'm reporting them to the Better Business Bureau.

18th of Feb, 2008

My husband recently received unsolicited mail from the Handyman Club of America. He did not sign up for anything from this company. We just received an official notification saying they were going to take us to a collection agency for past due membership. The letter has no contact information for the company, nor could we find any way to contact them on their website. This is extremely frustrating and should be illegal!

• Ws
      11th of Mar, 2008

Call their customer service number @ 800-243-7679 OR 952-936-9333 and ask to have your subscription canceled.

• Ke
      8th of Apr, 2008

I received a membership offer from Handyman Club of America. I read the Junk mail and was not interested. I received a letter claiming my account status was delinquent and if I did not pay, they would send my Membership dues of $25.00 to Collections. These guys are Scam artist. I never joined. There should laws against this type of Marketing.

• Qk
      24th of Apr, 2008

I got the same thing!!! I called them and told them that I was (and I'm telling the truth here) a disabled vet and had the use of only one arm so why would I join their club. If they didnt cancle it and fix the mistake then I would take them to court and make sure that this stops!!!

• Mi
      9th of Jul, 2008

I appreciate whoever listed the 800-209-9606 number for Handyman Club of America - I just called and supposedly the membership (that I never requested) is cancelled. I was told that if I should receive another invoice I can just disregard. We shall see. The 800-243-7679 number listed on the letter just puts you in a holding pattern.

• Br
      21st of Sep, 2008

My husband keeps receiving an email stating that he owes $24 for "past due membership dues". We have emailed with the wish to cancel this subscription but continue to receive these notices with a "risk" of the account being sent to collections. Is an email not enough? I see others are having/had the same problem in receiving "past due bills". Any advice?

• Br
      21st of Sep, 2008

Sorry, he is receiving these notices in the mail, not by email.