Handyman Club of America / Mail Fraud

1 NJ, United States Review updated:

Dear Friends of Mine,
I clearly became a victim of fraud form the "Handymen Club of America". In an envelope labeled "Free gift inside" they sent me an unsolicited junk calendar for 2009 (you know, the type that companies usually send you for free). When I opened the envelope, in it were the calendar, a few junk sticker and an invoice for $21.99 ($16.99 for the calendar and $4.99 S+H). The stickers were "the free gift!!". Although I immediately returned the whole junk they kept resending the invoice every month since, telling me that I "kept" the product. When I tried to connect them on the phone to clear the issue, I was redirected and redirected and redirected to other and other clerks, who did not know anything and did not have any power to solve the issue. Finally the sent me a "Delinquency notice" frightening me that they will transfer my case to a debt collector, which could ruin my otherwise great credit scores.
I have every record in my file, sent them a registered letter of complain, submitted a complain to the Better Business Bureau, and to the office of the Governor of Minnesota, posted my issue on the Web (ComplaintsBoard.com, ISE-and-IS.org). Since I know, many of you are handyman and may as well be a member of this club, I am pasting this note on my Face Book Wall and again on the CompalintsBorad.com to find out whether any of you have experienced exactly the same misconduct from the same company. If you had, give me a shut of your case. In any way, I am considering a lawsuit against the Handymen Club of America. Once I see how many similar complaints I can collect from you, I might as well consider to go with a class action version. Dr Z Fulop

Comments

• St
      9th of Aug, 2009

I just had the same experience..They sent me a letter threatening collection. I just fired back a letter to the attention of Robert Masters ( if this is a real person) He is the one that signed the letter to me. I explained that I told them on a few occasions that I had NO desire to be a member but they keep billing me. In my letter, I warned them if they did not cease, and confirm to me in writing, the next letter they get will be from my attorney. Lets see what happens.

• Te
      22nd of Aug, 2009

Wow, I thought I was having problems. I still have not heard from Handyman Club of America. I wrote to HCOA in January, 15th of 1009. Asking to cancelled the HCOA membership and I just wanted the magazines. When I looked on this Complaints pages, now I now why I haven't recieved nothing from the Handyman magaizne since the last issue in Febrauary/March 2009.

• Gw
      2nd of Oct, 2009

Yeah I got an extortion letter from them saying that I need to either pay or face collections. I'm fighting back this type of threat is BS, contact your Attorney Generals and send them what you got.

• Mm
      9th of Oct, 2009

I guess since I just joined and received my first collection agency threat, I am in for more surprises. M.Mitchell Thornton, Colorado

• Gw
      10th of Oct, 2009

I also posted on /link removed/ as I said there I contacted the Colorado Consumer Protection Agency, The Freud Agency, and the Attorney General. I provided a scanned copy in my email to them. I was contact the same day by the Consumer Protection Agency who said this was mail freud and gave me a link to the USPS to report the matter to, which I did. I know it might take a few weeks to a month to hear back from the Attorney General on matters but they typically do get back to you in Colorado.

Please report your letter, especially that you are in Colorado. I'm not sure why people bother to write the company back. My wish, is that they really do report me to collections, with no proof it will be an easy win when I take them to court. Hell it be like winning the lottery, what proof will they show, I never mailed them anything, I never received any products (if I did unknown to me I shredded or tossed the envelope) still they would have no PROVE they mailed me a product (signature confirmation being used), so I am not sure what defense they could possible have.

I'm guessing they do not want to really give it to collections, but instead this is some idiots idea at a company to scare people into paying them money, and joining some club they otherwise do not want to join, thus is why it is extortion. By the way which is very serious...

• Da
      10th of Mar, 2010

I just received a second letter from a collection place, stating if I didn't send in 335.00 they would be forced to proceed with further collection steps to the full extent. I sent a letter to Handyman Club of America over a year ago, requesting them to cancel my membership and not to send me any more junk.. This club never sent me anything else or any other bills.
    I am more than upset and will be contacting the Attorney Generals office here in Indiana in the morning.
    I am with any person out there who is against this junk company. E-mail me at b.stilson@comcast.net or call me at 765-491-6812 leave a message if I don't pick up and I will call you back

• Lo
      25th of Mar, 2010

I did an online survey and checked a box for 3 FREE Handy magazines. I just received an invoice for $12 for a 12 month subscription and membership, which I don't want. There is no phone number or e-mail on the invoice to cancel. I will google and go to the site, if I can find a legitimate one. They are invoicing me for something I did not order.

• Mi
      1st of Jun, 2010

Today 6/1/10 is the first time I ever heard of Handyman Club of America when I received a DUES INVOICE requesting payment for $12.00 for a 12 month membership. I NEVER JOIN OR HEARD OF THIS COMPANY? I really don't know what to do other then send a cancel across the statement and keep a copy to see what happens next. If you decide to launch a complaint against this so called company then count me in. My email address is michelemarchak@comcast.net

• Do
      2nd of Aug, 2010

8-2-2010 I got a membership for my husband. We received all kinds of junk, with the bills of coarse. Now we are getting a bill for landscape structures and decks.Guess what... we never got this book. Now what? there's no number to call. I guess that wouldn't matter after reading some of these letters.The best part is now they want him as a life memeber, life memeber of what!!! I want my money back for the years membership I got him, lol!!!

Donna Bieber Schnecskville P.A.

• Cr
      28th of Sep, 2010

DITTO ON THE ABOVE LISTED PROBLEMS

• Cr
      28th of Sep, 2010

I returned the books and DVD with documentation on their Dime to Louisville KY Center and I continue to receive various invoices, after I informed Handyman I did not want anything from them and to cancel my membership within around 30 days they shipped 4 books and a DVD with a prepaid mailing label for the return of the DVD therefore I packaged the four books, all the paperwork concerning the transaction and shipped everything to them while attaching the supplied label with them to pay the required postage; I will gladly join a class action against this company

• Sj
      29th of Sep, 2010

I am in the same boat here. Went on line and joined cause hubby saw an ad in Outdoor Magazine. I ended up with 2 accounts because of computer problems (their end not mine) the night I did it. I called and cancelled the one to me and kept his !. Mine does show canceled. I paid his invoice. OK 1 membership, get a couple magazines and lot's of "Lucky you " You have been chosen for LIFETIME Memebrship. Check it out, couple hundred dollars, NO THANK YOU send nothing in or back. This was back in June 2010. Then in September I get mail and have a damaged box with stamp form USPS showing received damaged. Inside is an invoice for a book, keep it and pay or return it to, free gift (set of small craft screw drivers and some other papers. I call and ask Rep...whats going on, clearly a book is suppose to be in the package, I am not paying for something I did not get nor do I really want, and yes did get the free to keep screwdrivers BUT. He said " OK since it is stamped by the USPS damaged, he will send out another one." I asked is that necessary, I don't want it anyway ! He says well yes, check it over and if I don't want it I can return it. I say is there a return address label wth it and shipping ? He said YES ! First package shipment date was August 16, 2010 and INVOCE for 10.00. Second package arrived Yesterday September 28, 2010 shipping date September 15, 2010 and an invoice for 21.99. The book, another set of screwdriver, and more papers BUT NO RETURN SHIPPING !!! Theres a label, but postage is on me, not as the Customer Service Rep said it would be ! I want to kick myself, because after talking to Customer Service and feeling like things were OK, I threw away the original stuff. Now it says I owe them 31.99 original 10.00 + 21.99 new !!! I will be calling tomorrow afternoon and have already sent an E-mail and if no satisfaction in this matter found, you can count me IN !
    Peter and Sandra Raz

• Pr
      6th of Nov, 2010

I have finally been able to cancel a membership. I have one item to send back that I did not request, but my problem is that I cannot find a mailing address for the company. Anyone out there have an address??? Thanks.

thurstonanthony7@gmail.com

• Ri
      10th of Nov, 2010

having the same type of problems with hca - sick of dealing with these people - sent them certified letter stating that i did not want any further merchandise and to cancell my membership - today i got a "free gift" package which contains a dvd and an invoice. if anyone is going to do class action on these [censor] let me know...
    tomorrow will return the dvd and the invoice via certified mail along with another letter... guess they just can't read!!!
    dave thomas (davethomas845@gmail.com)

• Re
      12th of Dec, 2010

About 2 months ago they sent me, unsolicited; a box of router bits as "a free gift" with an offer that if I pay them $29.99, I will get another box of router bits every month to 6 weeks. I returned the letter, electing the option that I did not want their bits (they are at best of average quality). I have since received two more letters asking that either return the box of router bits or pay them $29.99. I plan to file a complaint with the Texas Consumer Protection Agency and the Attorney General's office.

• Ro
      25th of Feb, 2011

I just received a collections notice for $335 for a bogus lifetime membership. I'm filing a complaint with the USPS, and the Attorney General. I noticed that amongst other clubs, they also have an affiliation with the History Channel through the "History Channel" club. I intend to complain to the History Channel as well. I encourage all to start a letter writing campaign to the History Channel to let them know that they should end their affiliation with North American Membership Group, Inc. and it assorted clubs. Start by speaking your mind on their Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/History

Not a doormat!

• Lg
      1st of Mar, 2011

I have a pile of books from these clowns, i paid for a couple of them, but they kept sending me more after I emailed them and told them to stop. Now I have received a letter from a "collection agency" for payment of the rest of the books. I don't want to pay for shipping, but I also do not want my credit destroyed. Any advice? Is the collection agency legit or is it a scare tactic? I feel like I should keep the damn books and stiff em the money I supposedly owe.

• Je
      21st of Jun, 2011

Here is a letter that I just sent to the Handyman Club:

Hi, I noticed that I had a $27 charge on my account. Si I called the clubs phone #, and I was told that it's because there is a $300 charge to be a life member and it says it at the end of the letter (which it doesn't).
    So I told him that I didn't want to join then, and he told me he'll ttake me off of it.

Well the charge is still there.

I therefore want my full $12.00 refund for joining the club which is "satisfaction guareenteed", and I'm not satisfied.

Please note that if I don't hear back from you within 24 hours I will dispute the charge with my credit card.

Thank you.

(p.s.I will be posting this letter on the internet.)

• Wi
      2nd of Jul, 2011

Thank you for these notices. I would suggest you send complaints to the Attorney General of the State of Minn. & not the governor. I received one of these "lifetime membership" offers with a $75 dues rebate check to be used against the "lifetime" dues. However, no where could I find in any of their literature could I find out what the cost of a lifetime membership would be. Thanks to these notices I decided to "roundfile" their offer after wasting a half hour reading their material. I also note that the "History Club of America also uses the same address of 12301 Whitewater Drive, Minnetonka, Minn.55343 but different P.O. Boxes in Hopkins which used to be a separate city but may now be part of Minnetonka so they may be pulling the same scam. I grew up in Eden Prairie which was then a rural township 8 miles from Hopkins & lived in Minn. for most of the first 36 years of my life.I now live in Calif.

• Ha
      4th of Feb, 2017

Ready for class action lawsuit!!!