Handyman Club of America / unauthorized billing!

1 Canada Review updated:

I'm from Canada and a subscriber of Handyman Club of America magazine for 3 years, I received a letter from the RCMB collection agency and telling me to collect a debt ($300.00). I already paid $146.00 for my membership fee and I decided to quit because I am not interested anymore. I did not owe anything in fact I still have 2 more years of subscription paid.

I send a letter stating to cancel all my membership and subscription but they send me another letter with my new deadline and will be forced to proceed with further collection steps empowered by the client!

I think this is not fair, every consumer has the right to refuse a product if he doesn't like it anymore.

Comments

• Ws
      11th of Mar, 2008

I have been getting bills for a subscription that I didn't want. The last one was very threatening that they were going to send my account to a collection agency. These bills do not do not have any customer service contact information but only a PO Box in which to send the money.

Via searching through the internet, finding their marketing partners, I have found a phone number to get "my subscription" canceled. I called and told them that I wanted it canceled. Based on that, they told me that the bills would stop coming.

This is the course of action I would recommend to the rest of you complaining about Handymanclub.

Their contact information is as follows:
    Phone: 800-243-7679 OR 952-936-9333

Address: 12301 Whitewater Dr., Minnetonka, MN 55343

• Ah
      24th of Mar, 2008

we received today a statement from Handyman Club of America for $24.00 for a HANDY magazine that we did not order. I called the 800 #, spoke with a very nice lady named Teal, who promptly and nicely canceled our "subscription" No problem. So far...

• De
      3rd of Dec, 2008

I'm trying to find out information on the Handyman Club of America, Tool Hall of Fame Collector's Series, I have several coin shaped and one reads, Milwaukee Sawzall and another reads Workmate, Black & Decker. Just what are these? Also do they have any retail value? Any info will be appreciated!!

Deb Fry

• Md
      22nd of Feb, 2009

I JUST RECEIVED ANOTHER INVITATION TO JOIN THE CLUB. FUNNY I WAS A MEMBER AND CANCELED AND THEY DON'T EVEN NOTE THAT. I LOVED THE MAGAZINE BUT NEVER RECEIVED ANY TOOLS TO TRY-OUT WHICH THEY PUSH AT YOU TO BECOME A MEMBER. WHEN YOU GET THE MAGAZINE IT SHOWS PEOPLE THAT TESTED TOOLS. FUNNY THING IS THEY WERE ALL PREMIUM AND/OR LIFE TIME MEMBERS. IF YOU CHECK THEIR WEB SITE THIS QUESTION IS ASKED UNDER THE "FAQ" SECTION. ON THEIR WEBSITE I WENT TO CONTACT INFORMATION TO FILE MY COMPLAINT AND A BLANK EMAIL POPS UP ... AND I MEAN BLANK, THEIR EMAIL ADDRESS IS NOT ON IT! NO PHONE NUMBERS OR ADDRESS EITHER. LOOKS JUST LIKE ANOTHER SCAM WEBSITE. JUST WANTED PEOPLE TO KNOW TO BEWARE WHAT YOU THINK YOU ARE SIGNING UP FOR. LIKE I SAID, THE MAGAZINE IS GREAT BUT SINCE I CANNOT CONTACT ANYONE I WILL NOT JOIN THIS CLUB AGAIN.

• Mu
      17th of Jul, 2009

I have finally found the phone number to customer service and actually spoke to a real person. It took hours to find this little gem. 1-800-243-7679. Call and cancel immediately. This is one funky company.

Michelle

• Ru
      16th of Aug, 2011

I hav'nt had the misfortune to have been a member that long, but I did receive some free tools, along with the life time membership nomination. I had already cancelled my membership via landline, yet I am still being billed. I also want every one to know that the tools sent are in my opinion of some-what sub standard craftmanship. HANDY MAN CLUB OF AMERICA should at the very least offer MADE IN AMERICA tools.

Ruben