Hampton Inn Garden City NY / Unauthorized charges on credit card

1 Garden City, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: One North Avenue

When my family and I got to the hotel, I used a credit card that we reserve ONLY for hotel transactions.We stayed overnight and returned home the very next day. There is NO confusion here. I just opened my credit card statement today and there are unauthorized charges to my credit card for flight(s) to Cairo, Egypt and gosh golly and gee whiz... I don't even have a passport. It was charged on the date we checked out and were charged for our room. This is NOT a coincidence and I will be letting everyone know what loser, punk criminals the Garden City Hampton employs.While I was checking in, I made sure I watched my card as best I could because of identity theft issues. I found it extremely unusual when the person at the front desk asked for a second form of ID. I am/was a member of the HHonors and my number was clearly entered on the invoice. I made reservations online and clearly it wasn't necessary for the second form of ID. I looked at him quizically and he said, "Something like a credit card or drivers license." I complied and let him see my drivers license. Not exactly what he wanted to see. I could imagine the charges that could have been made on my other credit card. The service was lousy. The continental breakfast was sparse. The fruit bowl remained emptly for the hour I was there. The orange juice machine was broke. My daughter and I tried to check our emails three times throughout the day and the same two fat cows were sitting there, planted in front of the computers as if they were homeless patrons sitting in a public library all day.Were they even guests? Somehow I don't think they were. This would have to be the worst experience ever and I will NEVER return to this Hampton again. Taking someone else's credit card for their own personal use is a crime and I will do everything in my power to make sure the person responsible will think twice before taking advantage of a customer again. So folks...BEWARE!!! Watch the credit card of your choice that you use to pay. Do not provide another credit card for a second form of ID- it isn't necessary. Check it often to make sure no unauthorized charges get put on your credit/debit cards. Or simply go to a better, more honest hotel/inn. I hate the feeling of being duped- I don't think I paid $186.00 to be fooled and taken advantage by an employee that represents the Hampton. I won't let it happen again.

Comments

• Cu
      1st of Sep, 2009

And what proof do you have that an employee of Hampton took your credit card number? Hmmmmm... oh you have nothing.

1st of Sep, 2009

You sound pretty smug. But realistically and logically, it would make sense not to reveal all the information that will help this case. And..of course, I didn't Hmmmmmmmmmm... my husband is a lawyer and I am not stupid. It currently is being investigated by the credit card company, I am in contact with the police. The proof will be in the paper trail this ### left behind. Through my experiences, crooks and thieves are stupid. Something will turn up. Hmmmmmm...yes I do have something- a better sense to not leave ###ed comments that you surmise to know everything and to think that this will go unsolved.

• Fe
      3rd of Sep, 2009

'I will be letting everyone know what loser, punk criminals the Garden City Hampton employs, ' racist much!!! 'my husband is a lawyer and I am not stupid, ' and you say someone else is smug, hubbie is a lawyer, big whoop, in the USA that is about as impressive as working at McDonalds! 'My daughter and I tried to check our emails three times throughout the day and the same two fat cows were sitting there, planted in front of the computers as if they were homeless patrons sitting in a public library all day, ' when you write stuff like this do you really think anyone can take you serious. I repeat, racist much. I suppose you, your precious daughter, and that award winning lawyer you are married to are perfect size, shape, hair color, exactly what a hotel guest should look like. And what if you and precious were at the computers, and the two larger (I am assumming they are larger than you due to your insult about them earlier) arrived wanting to check their emails, would they have realised you were guests? You hate the feeling of being duped, well when I read your ridiculous tirade, it would seem to me you are probably duped frequently. Being so concerned about credit card theft, perhaps the clerk asked to see another form of I.D. to ensure you, the name on the card, and your picture I.D. matched. Perhaps you look questionable, and the clerk was doing his or her job to ensure it was not a stolen credit card you were trying to use. No, of course, not, I forgot, we have already established you are perfect, and your hubby is a Lawyer!

11th of Sep, 2009

What is your problem???? Did I mention race once in my "tirade". I think a fat cow does not determine the color of ones hide. Are you saying criminals have to do with racism-and if it does, what color would they be? How did you come to that conclusion? Let me assure you, I would listen more to someone who has studied the law in regard to criminal issues than an employee at McDonalds. Maybe you would not know the difference. When I write stuff like this, I don't expect anything from the reader. However, someone taking my credit card information for $1700 worth of charges is enough to notify other people about what I experienced. Take it as how you want. I wrote how I felt that day and I will not candy coat such a serious issue. Again, you seem to fall back on the racist issue. Unless you want to infer that homeless people are a specific race, I want to assure you that homeless people come in all shapes, sizes, colors etc. The fact remains: two individuals, yes they were quite heavy, monopolized the only two computers that were available to all patrons of the Hampton Inn. Not just for me, but for EVERYONE. If I was a patron that got the opportunity to use one of the two computers, I would use the computers as quick as I could. I would do what I needed to do and move aside for other patrons to carry on as well. You see, unlike you or these individuals, I worry about if other people might need the computer for their own personal use. I call it consideration- you ought to try it once in awhile. I am sure you would have no trouble mustering up a little "tirade" of your own if you were in my position. It would not be reasonable for a patron to use computers for more than four or more hours of any given day. I will let my lawyer husband know that you called him "award winning". That was very nice of you. My paragraph was referred to as a "ridiculous tirade" I was wondering what you called your own tirade. No, I do not get duped often. I have expectations of an establishment to carry out monetary transactions in a professional, legal and safe way in that I do not get duped. When it happens, I get upset. I do believe other patrons would feel the same way if it happened to them. Well, I don't think I am perfect but I guess if that's what you want to call me, feel free. Oh, I forgot. You spelled realize wrong. It doesn't have an "s" in it- well, that's the way Americans spell it. If it's true you live in Switzerland, why are you so angry? It makes me not want to visit you people. Thank for writing, your rant was fun- errr.. or was that ridiculous tirade?

11th of Sep, 2009

Oh! To the CustomerServiceDepartment character who responded above, I found one of your comments on another Hampton Inn complaint (not mine, of course):

There are your words:

I work for a Hampton Inn and our rate all the time is $129.00. They were not take advantage of anybody.

I would say your comments about any Hampton/Hilton facilities are null and void due to the fact that you are employed with the very company we are complaining about.To disagree and minimize our complaints for the very company for which you work for would be considered a conflict of interest. Wouldn't you think? I mean, you define and become a shining example to become the poster child for the term "conflict" quite eloquently. Of course your comments will be biased and meant to belittle and make the customer feel victimized AGAIN by your comments. How is that working for the company?

14th of Sep, 2009

LOL! Yes you have victimized again. Go cry to your lawyer about it.

14th of Sep, 2009

Wow I should have read that more carefully. Calling people fat cows? Making fun of mis spellings? Why does your husband keep getting reffered to as "Lawyer Husband"? Does it really matter? So have the police or "Lawyer Husband" or who ever determined yet that a Hampton employee used your credit card number?

14th of Sep, 2009

What do you care? Oh Hampton employee you! Well, FYI- "Fed Up With Stupid Complaints" likes to correct other peoples mistakes. I was doing what she has done to others. A gratuitous effort on my part to make this individual feel comfortable. or at least experience what it feels like to be corrected. Go ahead, CustomerServiceDept (notice I refrained from calling you a fat cow), go mosey over to "Fed Up With Stupid Complaints" page and read what (s)he has on the other posts. You two, I think, would get along quite swimmingly. Yes indeed! Reading more carefully would behoove you to get all the facts. Does anything ever really matter? Hmmmm (you like that word so I used it for you).
    I wish I could respond to CustomerServiceDept's first comment but I guess I don't quite understand what is being said. ["LOL! Yes you have victimized again. Go cry to your lawyer about it."] Huh? I have nothing to work with here. Is that the best you can do? I guess, in my opinion, it's the company that has the problem- not me. I don't have to babysit and police every Hampton complaint online to refute and deny that there are valid issues that need to be addressed. I won't name names but it rhymes with customer service department. To bury your head in the sand and pretend that these complaints don't exist is extremely bad and irresponsible customer service (without the department). Here's something to think about- maybe these complaints are valid and that the people complaining have a right to be heard and a right to be upset.

14th of Sep, 2009

Oh! I can't help myself CustomerService Dept The word "referred" - the correct way to spell it with one "f" and two "r" 's. The above referenced comment referred was spelled- [reffered]. I think one should have a command of the English language that includes correct spelling.I think these days, people seem to forget how important it is. Don't you think? Kudos to you on the correct word [misspellings]. That is, in fact, one of the more common misspelled words.

15th of Sep, 2009

What have the police determined? How is the lawsuit going?