Hallmark / district manager treatment of older employees

Pleasanton, CA, US Review updated:

I would like to complain about the district manager for Hallmark store in Pleasanton, CA. I believe her name is Margie Connor - Allen. She recently made a discriminating comment about my mother who works for the store. My mother will be 77 years old in February. Next summer, she will celebrate her 13th year working at Hallmark. If you research the store records, you will see she is one, if not the, top selling worker at the shop. The district manager recently made biased comment to other employees about my mother. One of the comments referenced my mothers physical abilities. I quote "It takes Patricia 10 mins to walk across the floor." My mother does not call in sick nor does she take vacations. She is known to give 110% to her job. For this highly unprofessional comment to come from the district manager is disgraceful. I would like to see this matter handled quickly and efficiently. My mother deserves an apology, written and in person, from the district manager. In additon, I would like to see the district manager penalized for her comments that display her obvious ageism beliefs. If this matter is not handled accordingly, I will continue to report this matter to upper management at Hallmark until is is resolved.

Sh
Nov 27, 2017

Comments

• Po
      Nov 28, 2017

As you are not the employee affected by this, you should not be making the complaint. You do not have the full story and you are naturally going to believe your mother's interpretation of the situation. If she truly believes ageism is occurring at her workplace, she should contact the corporate office and/or the human resources department. This is a third party website that is not directly affiliated with Hallmark and they most likely will not see anything written here. Finally, while I agree that the comment made was certainly unprofessional, I don't necessarily think it is a clear sign of ageism. Anyone can be slow moving.