Hail Storms / Storm Chasers

As a contractor, here is my advice when propositioned by a storm chaser, or high pressure insurance adjuster. WAIT!!! As in don't hire anyone to do your roof for a minimum of 3 months, maybe up to six months.
You got to wait the ### out. And don't think it is as simple as hiring a "local" contractor.

Here is how the scam works: The out-of-town fly-by-night Stormchaser, "rents" the locals name and phone number for thousands of dollars ($50, 000 or more. Big Bucks). They then move their operation in. And what an operation it is!! 20 salesmen!! 10 roofing !! And you thought that were calling Joe's Local Roofing Co. to replace your roof!!

Well Joe will be there after the storm... to clean up the mess. And if he is smart he will shut his doors and take the money and skip town too. Or he will ... be cleaning up the mess. And suddenly that $50, 000 "payoff" will turn out to be peanuts as he will be paying out of pocket to repair the hack jobs until he is broke and brokedown.

The approach of these low lifes is to move fast. They move in quickly while the insurance money is flowing. The "roofing salesmen" after all, are not salesmen. They are order takers. Tin men. Con men. Last season's insurance adjusters (as if that makes them credible!) They are zipping around beating the honest contractors and honest homeowners before the community knows what has hit them!
Hell has been unleashed and they are feeding on the people in born GREED. Yard signs saying:1-800-free-roof.
Think I am kidding?

So the best solution for a community is to not hire ANYONE for a few months while these parasites die from inactivity.Take the time to work with someone you can trust to deal with the insurance company, a local contractor who has roots in the community. Yes he'll be busy and may not get to you for a while, but MOST hail damage does not constitute an emergency.

When you get your insurance check, deposit it in the bank and wait for the leeches to leave town. They will.

Tw

Comments

• Tw
      13th of Mar, 2009

That shoulda read "10 roofing crews !!!"

Anyway, I hope this helps.

My question to the stormchaser is: If you are any good at roofing, why do you have to travel 1000 miles from home to find work????

• Mj
      19th of May, 2009

Amen Brother! From one Contractor to another (I am assuming) -- I 100% agree with you and I will be linking this entry to my blog, as well.

-Misty

12th of Nov, 2009

Good sound advice.
    Most hail damage does not only create an emergency but you're probably still in hail season and may have to replace your new roof again.
    Before deciding on a contractor check out his liability insurance dates, manufacturer websites for contractors, Better Business Bureau and who the owner is, and ask the salesman to show you his drivers license.
    Don't give a deposit. Make sure all permits are pulled. Get release of liens from the supplier and maybe the laborer if you have doubts.
    You can even ask the salesman for references of jobs he has sold for this company. Many salesmen for storm chasers are also victimized by the sales pitch of these carpetbaggers and scalawags.

• Mr
      23rd of Sep, 2010

Alot of that is not necessarily true. I own a roofing company and I am selling roofs 7 hrs away with 15 salesmen; from a hailstorm that happened this summer. I still can give all the people whom I've given a 5 warranty to when I roofed their house next day service and some times same day service .I have never ever tried to rent or take on another roofing co, name.I always tell my customers where I am from and I tell them that im not gonna lie unlike the storm chasers and tell them that im local, I do however tell them where we are located and in which state. However when the people in the neighborhoods see how profressional our salesmen and roofing crews are, and seem to pass any inspection by either homeowner or city officials we seem to have a snowball effect. %85 of our co, sales come from either referrals from happy customers or a call off a sign after seing work that has been done.

• Gr
      27th of Jan, 2011

First off, this industry as a whole has the biggest black eye in the construction trades, We've done that to ourselves, people just assume roofers are con artists. The economy gets tight and everyone drops their pants and forgets about selling the value of their companies or their quality. Not one person in this indsutry can say they have never heard a roofing salesperson ask a client where do my numbers need to be to get this job, in other words let me drop my pants to beat the other guy. I've seen people in this industry literally burn their companies and clients and just reopen under another name all while usually installing the same manufacturer's systems again. The industry has done this to itself. Buy a truck, a ladder and some roof cement and you can throw low numbers all day. I've seen large companies underbid work just to take it from smaller ones. Trust me, I have worked small and large companies both local and national and even worked for a manufacturer for a few years, 25 years in all. Add to this roof consultants, engineers and architects who are tied in with manufacturer's for an inspector's fee and this industry shows it does nothing to help itself. Make all the comments you would like about storm chasers, there are just as many local companies that walk away from respsonisbility as well. If this were not the case then why does roofing litigation lead the lawsuits for the construction industry???? Issue is most contractors dont train their ESTIMATORS to be salesman, they are just number guys hoping they can get their number lower than the next guys and the cycle continues. There are times where what I see roofers doing is just sickening and completely wrong, its a wonder this industry isn't better regulated by the government. Add to this dilemma a workforce that in 10 years will be dominanted by hispanic and the quality will only get worse being performed by individuals who can barely read and write their own language let alone the english language. I've seen many good hispanic roofers, but unfortunately a large majority are either illegal or lack education to understand reading technical documents. Just fact thats all, I've seen it time and time again when I worked for a manufacturer traveling nationally, crews where the average guy had a 3rd or 4th grade education if you were lucky. Most could not understand spec manuals written in spanish to save their life. Think qualities bad now, wait. So don't just bang the poor storm chasers, their just a small piece of the problems in this industry. I'm sure many wont like what i wrote but lets face it, not too much non truth in there and I think most in the industry know it.