H H GREGG / Couldn't deliver product purchased

1 1251 US 31Greenwood, IN, United States

Purchased an GPX 8" portable DVD player on November 25th. Product was not in stock and had to be shipped from warehouse. I was told to pick up the item at the store on Monday, December 1st. I went to the customer pick up department on December 1st and a clerk took my ticket. After approx. 10 minutes - Larry told me the they didn't have the product and couldn't guarantee it before Christmas. He indicated after Black Friday, they didn't have any left. I told him that shouldn't have been a problem because mine was ordered and paid for prior to Black Friday. He said the only thing he could do was substitute a 7" model. Why would I want a lesser product for the same price. I indicated I'd take my money back. He stated a check would be mailed to me in approx. 14 days. I indicated that was not acceptable. I had paid for a product they couldn't deliver and I had to wait 14 days for them to give my money back. He indicated that he didn't know if my check would clear. I had given him a check and he was giving me a check. I said fine where's my check? He said it's like an I.O.U. I said it was poor business practice and I bet the next thing he'd offer was a handshake. I stated I was very upset. He told me life's not fair. I can't believe in today's economy and with all of the retailers crying because their not making a profit, I would be treated like that. There is a good ending to my story. I now have a brand new GPX 8" portable DVD player in my possession. I went to Sears and bought it. Oh, that new big screen TV I had planned on purchasing as my Christmas present to myself at HH Gregg...Sears sells that too! I only hope Larry improves his customer service skills or gets another job! He clearly is not cut out at his current position. I have purchased 2 washers, a dryer, a dishwasher, a refrigerator and other misc. items at HH Gregg. They've just lost a faithful customer.