Gulf Power / Exorbitant Fuel Charges

1 One Energy PlacePensacola 325200017, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 850-969-3111

We complained to the company and to the State of Florida without an improvement in excessive fuel charges. We try to conserve energy to save our budget, but we are monthly strapped with a fuel charge that exceeds our energy charge. When gasoline was $4 a gallon the charge began, but now that gasoline is about $2 a gallon, the charge did not go away. We wish to register this complaint with the Complaints Board to see if the Board can have a positive effect on this abuse of electricity customers of Gulf Power.

More Gulf Power Complaints & Reviews

Sort by: Date | DownRating

Comments

• St
      27th of Jul, 2012

Gulf Power is a monopoly that should stopped. Because we have no other choice for service, the company has all the power it needs to extend ridiculous prices and extremely poor customer service. Embarq was the same way before other companies began competing in phone service. Because my bill was 10 days past due, the company charged me $20 to hang a door hanger on my door?! Unbelievable!

• Rf
      23rd of Jan, 2015
    Best Best Advice +4 Votes

Gulf Power - Shame on You!
    Gulf Power has charged my son $440 for 21 days of electricity during what they call the cold months. He is lives alone in 1, 300 sq ft home. He now has an electric bill over $1000 for 2.5 months that he can not pay so they shut his electric off.
    He lost his food in the refrigerator and has been sleeping without electricity for 1 week. I called the company and they said it was him using up the electricity. His bills in the past have been extraordinary high where he has continually struggle to keep up and is fearful to use the electric taking care to keep things off and turned low as much as possible.
    I've never in my live had a bill that ran $400 per month and I at once owned 4000 sq ft home for 8 yrs.
    I have read over and over stories of people not able to pay these exorbitant bills. Making people choose between power and putting food on the table. It would seem that some government agency needs to step in and stop the monopoly of this company and it's ability to squeeze the poor and low income families.

• Ne
      18th of Jul, 2013

I'd like to know why my ele. bill has gone down considerably since gulf power replaced my " GOOD CENTS SELECT' meter. I had ask several times why my bill still so high ? And now, since the change, in meter's, it's almost reasonable. I'm thinking I'll call them, then my lawyer at the base. Gotta say while we had the kids home we thought it was maybe that. I lived alone. No reason for it then. We are talking YEARS here.

• Pe
      27th of Jun, 2015

I also agree my electric seems to keep going up and up and got a fuel charge on the bill this month alone was more than 89.00 for a fuel charge. What does a fuel charge got to do with my electric we DO NOT have gas here nor do we have anything else that needs to be driven in to our small 2 bedroom apartment lord this apartment is over stuffed so there is not that much room to have to keep cool. We came from a very large 4 bedroom home in the country and was not paying no where near the cost that we are paying now for our small 2 bedroom this is just crazy and we are at work all day and the thermostat stays at the same temp at all times. And we also have a 20.00 base charge what is this for? I thought a base charge is what they charge those who do not live in their homes just to keep the electric going not something you would charge for those who live in their homes daily.. Last year on this month we only used 388 kwh but this year they have us at 1996 kwh used.. Really???? how did we go up that much in one year?? I read an article about switching electric companies in Forbes but really how do you do this when this is all the electric companies are separated by region so you cannot get someone else to service an apartment that is assigned to one company someone needs to do something this is madness and we can not afford to keep paying these high bills!!!

4th of Feb, 2016

Just awful to learn that a company such as Gulf Power with so much potential to help the community is extorting the families of teachers, police officers, and other hard workers in our area.

• Lo
      28th of Apr, 2010

I agree! On top of that they are adding extra deposit's to people accounts. If I can barely pay the high bill, adding an extra 150.oo dollars to is not going to ease the pain. They also have a crazy rule where if they give you and payment plan, and you don't pay that exact day then you can not recieve one for another 6 omonths. You would thenki with the econmy being so bad, and people losing jobs and homes. The electric company would be better. I wish I could get electrin from another company. Gulf Power Sucks.

• Pa
      1st of Aug, 2010

There is something seriously wrong when my electric bill is more than my house payment!!! Something needs to be done about this, my husband was laid off and we are trying to live on unelmpoyment and my check, we are struggling just to keep our heads above water and then blam hit with an electric bill that is unbearable!!!

9th of May, 2011

I just moved from CA to Pensacola and rented a 1 br apt. My first electric bill was $115! I'm very conservative in my energy use and we didn't have any hot weather to speak of in April. The electricity part of the bill was $48.
    $10 "customer charge", $49 "fuel charge", $7.50 Pensacola "franchise fee". Are you kidding me?! How do they get away with this b/s?! My ave. monthly bill in Sonoma County was $25! You're charging me to be your customer? I'm paying your franchise fee? That would be like going to McDonald's and they added 10% to your bill for the owner's franchise fee. Give me a break. "Fuel charge"...what's this a fuel surcharge? Go to the PUC and get a rate increase if you didn't hedge your fuel costs?
    How do we get this ripoff stopped?

• Ij
      17th of Jan, 2013

I am BEYOND upset with my electric bill from Gulf Power. We live in a small 2B/1Ba and our bill for the SECOND month in a row was $240.00 >-<
    We are from AL and our home there was twice as BIG and our bill never went above $150.00. Then they have the nerve to tell me that, that is just the average bill for our duplex. Well guess what there are 8 duplexes and I personally asked all my neighbors the amounts of their bill and guess what...all their bills are around $120-$140!!! O_o so my bill is twice as much as everyone else. So someone PLEASE explain this to me cause Gulf Power is surely no HELP AT ALL, all they want is MONEY!

• Wy
      10th of Nov, 2016

I just moved to Pensacola 5 weeks ago and my first electric bill came and is $52 for 274 kilowatts in a 2/2 apartment on the first of three floors. I moved here from Punta Gorda and Vero Beach but looking back at FP&L I paid only $65 for 612 kilowatts of use in a 3 bed condo where the a/c was used a lot. In Pensacola it is November and I am not using a/c much at all, have the windows open with fresh air in everyday. I am single, no one else in the place when I am not there. I also have no washer or dryer in the unit and did have both in Punta Gorda and Vero Beach. Gulf Power has a website where you can look at your daily usage of power. I am a CPA, Certified Fraud Examiner and have done audit work for the government for the past 25 years and I know a little about fraudulent billing. After looking at the graphs it was evident that the kilowatts used was directly tied to the daily outdoor temperatures. When temps rise so do the kilowatts used. It also showed a big spike in the weekend power usage but that does not apply to me since I work on weekends...So what gives, none of this information made any sense to me and I called to inquire with Gulf Power with no avail. So I am in the process of performing a test, all breakers have been shut off to the A/C, all unused rooms or outlets, the hot water heater until needed and have found that the water will heat up in 15 minutes, entire tank, 15 minutes max., everything is shut off at the breaker box except the refridgerator. Now I turn on the outlets for the TV and computer when I come in and they are shut back off during the evening. On day one as I was starting the test, I did not have all breakers shut off for the entire period but was close and watced the kilowatts decrease to 5 kilowatts, in day 2 I figured all breakers that needed to be off and found that the kilowatts used increased to 9 kilowatts as the temps that day increased to over 70 degrees as well but no A/C used, no power to the compressor. I don't understand where the usage is coming from, the sun causes me on the first floor of this apt to turn on my A/C according to Customer Service at Gulf Power. I threatened a Class Action Lawsuit and calling John Morgan of Morgan and Morgan and reporting what was happening. I contacted the FL Public Service Commission to ask what could be done as I was told by Gulf Power they had no one capable of checking a meter, I had to get an electrician to check it myslef! Well the PSC put me through directly to Gulf Power Corporate Office and I discussed my issure with them and the test I was performing. Initallly I was told the meter was working correctly, was read by satellite communication and that me having all the power cut off to the apartment had nothing to do with the energy I was consuming..Later that day I received a call stating they were seding someone out to the apartment to check the meter, not sure when but they are sending someone. I say this, there is something illegal going on, I mean fraud is fraud, wether billing fraud, stealing fraud, covering up and manipulating data fraud, it is all fraud and I will get to the botton of this if I have to turn off the refidgerator, get a cooler and have no (0) power coming into this place for a 24 hour period in which they are reading my meter via satellite and it goes to zero (0) kilowatts used in that time period. Until that happens, I will not be satisfied with what I am seeing. I will continue calling the Public Service Commission and will file a complaint with the Florida Attorney General, Office of Consumer Protection and Gulf Power will answer to the Attorner General about this erratic, fraudulent billing for a very small apartment.

13th of Feb, 2018

@wynn711 Dear concerned and seeking answers, I know your post is over a year old, but what happened in your case with billing and kilowatt usage with Gulf Power. The issue with fraudulent billing seems to be a big problem with all of the utilities here in Pensacola. Pensacola Energy or City of Pensacola for Natural Gas is outrageous and I live alone, Emerald Coast Utilities Authority for water here in Escambia county is outrageous. My monthly water bills are around $70 per month, the same monthly cost as when my two children lived with me and they both have moved out several years ago, my daughter has not lived with me since 2012 when she joined the Navy and my son moved out almost 2 years ago. I have inquired and no one can give me a straight answer. And also, the utility truck driver for ECUA only drives around my street, he will get out at certain homes. So what gives? I know this post post is about Gulf Power, but I think pointing out the suspicious billing in this area, period is worth noting. So, I am sure nothing will be done to ever correct Gulf Power continuing to charge whatever exorbitant price, surcharge, taxes and franchise fee they would like. It's almost like the powers that be in this area of Florida enjoy seeing the poor and downtrodden citizens of this county on the Gulf Coast suffer. The only thing I can come up with, I am looking forward to leaving here when I am able to. I own a home, so can't just up and leave, unfortunately due to my stupidity of purchasing a home over 10 years ago.

13th of Feb, 2018

@concerned citizen2003 I'm sorry, I meant to address wynn711 and not concerned and seeking answers in above reply. My apologies.

• Su
      8th of Feb, 2010

This increase at Gulf Power rate is unfair and unbareable. With the high rate of unemployment(include my Husband and I ) in Florida will our State look like a third world country soon?Maybe anyone who still has a job, they could get a loan - see more solar panels on roof tops and Gulf Power will have less customers to make money from!! . I hope the Govenor does something about this!!

24th of Feb, 2018

In this day of high-tech fraud it is even possible that someone at Gulf Power is sending out signals to set my high-tech meter higher. I have basically turned off my electricity by about 80% compared to last month and Gulf Power is billing me for $199 for last warm month. Notice that to avoid suspicion they may have falsified the meter to produce a $199 result, sort of like selling something for $199 rather than $200 to stay under the radar. This company should be investigated for possible manipulation of electric meter readings. In any case, in most advanced countries in the world, but not the US, monopolies are not allowed to own utilities. The essence of capitalism is competition, and natural monopolies cannot be subject to competition (imagine ten times as many power lines as now if competition existed-- not practical, so other countries forbid private utilities).

• Pi
      11th of Sep, 2018

PENSACOLA NEEDS OPTIONS! I want a choice for my utilities!!! Lived in PA and TX where you get a choice! I'm so sick of all these big companies taking advantage of us. Living inside the city limits is killing us with its fees and extra taxes, like, I ALREADY pay taxes on my electricity and I have to pay Gulf Power an extra amount of taxes for CITY tax?!?! F this. We need to get rid of this monopoly.