Gulf Coast Readers / Policy of orders!

United States Review updated:
4.25
I get a phone call to have me order magazines. I have no problem with that. The problem is that I told them that I was moving and would call after the move to give them the new address and then would confirm through there 1-800 number. A Short time passed and then I got nothing in the mail and then got my checking account charged. I called them and they said that I could not cancel my subscription to them. This is wrong and I will find a way to get them to stop my subscription and refund this money. They have hurt me and my family in the bank and I serve this country and this is not how we should be treated.
Je

Comments

Su
  18th of Apr, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
My daughter also is in this mess with Gulf Coast Readers.Since when we order a magazine and didn't want to subscribe any longer, this person told her she could'nt cancell her order and if she did she would have to still pay the sum of 500.00 . This is a rip off and I believe a scam. Something needs to be done .
An
  5th of May, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am in the same thing but four months ago they told me i only had five more payments noe they are telling me i have fifteen more i need to know how to stop this
Da
  15th of May, 2008
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
I have a bit of a problem i have been getting alot of mags. from this place and they were takin money from my account i call the 1 800 number and asked too stop sending the mags and not take anymore payments its now two months later and they are still takin money out of my account unless someone going to pay my bill i think i need a refund. cause thanks to gulf coast i can't pay my bill what should be done about this i need a answer
  19th of Jun, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I have a simple solution to this problem as I had to deal with this company. I called them a few times and either got hung up on or got an answering machine. You ready for your solution?? Simply call your bank and/or credit card company and explain your situation. Then ask them if it is possible to get a new card. This should fixthe problem as the card they have access to will be no longer activated. Let em know how this turns out.
Te
  18th of Jul, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Gulf Coast Readers is a scam operation. It is beyond me how people can report to a "job" like this every day. To all of you folks who have been swindled... check out this information from the FTC... http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/tmarkg/magzn.shtm ... and then PLEASE FILE COMPLAINTS with the following agencies:

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION...
you can file complaints online with them at https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/
and then file at
where they keep a running tally and work with other offices (like the BBB, etc)

THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU...

AND, last, but NOT LEAST - YOUR STATES ATTORNEY'S GENERAL OFFICE (just do a google search by your state and attorney general). Almost all states allow you to file the complaints online.

ALSO - I would recommend sending a "cease and desist" letter to Gulf Coast Readers - making it crystal clear that you are also notifying all of these other agencies, your state's AG. Make sure you send the letter Certified AND Return Receipt Requested. (this will cost about $15. - but it will hold up in court)

MOST OF ALL - do NOT let them bully you. If you have the means, I would pick up a recording device, and if they call again - make a POINT of saying "Hold on, I need to record this conversation"... take as many moments/minutes as necessary to get the recording going.

Don't let them get you.
Te
  18th of Jul, 2008
Also - If they have made charges through your credit card, be sure to file with your CC agency -- they can process a chargeback against the company. Some of the Credit Card Chargeback Reason Codes used may be one of the following: "Unauthorized Billing", "Cancel Recurring Bill", "Non Receipt of Merchandise" - among others.

Protect yourselves people - don't let them continue to get away with this.
Ba
  2nd of Sep, 2008
I called to cancelled they said I couldn't even though I had not received any magazines and they said I wouldn't for about 6 weeks so to me that is plenty of time to cancel- well they charged by card and then I cancelled my card - so now I am getting phone calls with pay off amounts of 4 and 5 hundred dollars - does anyone know if I can have the post office stop delivery of there magazines ?- This is nuts -
An
  3rd of Sep, 2008
These people are hell to deal with. I subscribed to magazines through Gulf Coast Readers and canceled my subscription by mail within the cancellation period, however I continued to receive magazines and now they're calling me asking for their payments. I refuse to pay for something that I cancelled. She kept asking me why I didn't call the 1-800 number to cancel, but I shouldn't have to call the number if they give me a form to fill out and mail in! I'm not sure what to do with these people.
Wi
  11th of Sep, 2008

Gulf Coast Readers - magazines
gulf coast readers
seneca falls
Phone: 3156519419

We decide to cancel our subscription. I sent in the paper verifying that we wanted to do this. Three weeks later I get a bill saying they're going to deduct my account. They has as of yet not returned my calls either. I will be calling my bank and putting a stop to this effective immediately. Buyer beware do not ever do business with GULF COAST READERS.
Jo
  4th of Oct, 2008
Gulf Coast Readers inc. is run by Anthony Moulder. He also ran Midwest Readers out of Minnesota.

Here's their address and phone number in Florida...

Gulf Coast Readers inc
1327 A Lafayette Street
Cape Coral, FL 33904

Phone:239-540-0707
Ja
  10th of Nov, 2008
THE WORST SCEAMERS EVER!!! Dont fall for thir kniving talk . This company lies and talks in circls to get people to open accounts. They lie and claim to be companies they are not. They are extreamly rude and refer to their clients as "hun" as a way of belittiling people. They start the call of by using the horrible economy as a way to luer you in but dont really give you an option to not subscribe for the magazines. Dont fall for thir lies People they are horrible.
Wi
  23rd of Nov, 2008
I am stuck in a second contract which was started before the first contract was ended. I am convinced that golf coast readers is messing with their recording systems and no one can find out because it is an inside job. I am sure that I made a commitment to myself not to renew my contract and was waiting impatenly for my contract to end when I was told by Golf Coast Readers that they are going to take me to the credit bureau because I owe money on a new contract which I did not know anything about. I post this comment because if they try to get me again without my knowledge It is going to be a big obnusious law suit on their hands and the FBI will have to be on their tail this time. I admit I do like to brows ocassionly but this time I wanted the magazines to stop and was forced into a second contract. Golf Coast Readers You need to be honest to your clients someone is going to get you sooner than you think it is true and you know it.
Li
  3rd of Jan, 2009
i THINK MOST PEOPLE THAT HAVE ORDERED THIS SERVICE ARE JUST UPSET BECAUSE THEY MADE AN AGREEMENT AND NOW WANT TO BACK OUT.. ITS LIKE GETTING A CAR YOU CANT BUY A CAR AND THEN SAY YOU ARENT PAYING AND THEN KEEP THE CAR.. BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS... PLUS IF YOUR KIDS ARE STUPID ENOUGH TO OREDER THIS AND GIVE OUT DEBIT INFO OF THEIR OWN OR OF THEIR PARENTS SMACK YOUR KID NOT THE COMPANY THEY ARE DOING THEIR JOB... YOU PEOPLE COMPLAIN AND MAKE COMPANIES LOOK BAD FOR NO REASON...
  23rd of Jan, 2009
I had a call from two different personnel about magazines which I did not order and do not want. Please delete this order as I do not want them.

Milton Appelhof
530-674-1213
Hu
  26th of Jan, 2009
I KNOW I HAD JUST SENT A CHECK FOR FIFTY DOLLARS TO THEM AND I HAD DECIDED TO GO ONLINE TO SEE IF THEY HAD A WEBSITE AND I FOUND ALL THIS...I IMMEDIATELY WENT TO MY BANK AND PUT A STOP PAYMENT ON THAT CHECK I HAD JUST SENT THEM...THIS COMPANY IS MESSED UP...I PUT A COMPLAINT TO ABOUT THEM AS A MAGAZINE SCAM...I COULDN'T BELIEVE WHEN I SAW ALL THIS TODAY...THEY SHOULD REFUND US ALL...
  27th of Jan, 2009
You should not complain! You opted for these magazines...How the hell are they going to charge you if you didn't open your mouth and give them credit card information...It's like telling a thief, " My house is open, but don't touch a thing ok?" You can complain all you want but if you confirmed that you wanted the subscription, you shouldn't have mercy. It's all your fault! So be an american, and not a low life, and pay your damn bills!
Ap
  26th of Feb, 2009
they called me and said it would be three dollars a months and than they called me back and said it would be 40.00 dollars a month.so i told them i didnt want it and they still took money out of my bank.
Up
  22nd of Mar, 2009
I got a call from gulf coast readers and the whole sale really appealed to me at first with getting 5 of my favorite mags a month for only $3 a week. then i was put on the phone with a supervisor to confirm my order and the price went up to $5 a week. i thought what the heck might as well try it out and i specifically asked this supervisor if there is any way to cancel the subscription after a while if i decide i dont want the mags and she assured me there was. so in the meantime i asked my husband if it was a good idea and he said i should cancel the subscription asap. as soon as i received the order form with the variety of mags and read the slip at the bottom to cancel, i mailed it in. I mailed in the cancellation slip the next day after i received it and thought everything was fine. until today when i looked at my bank account and saw that this stupid scamming company took $40 out!!! now seeing all of these complaints i dont understand how this company is still in business screwing over people! its sickening. GULF COAST READERS IS A SCAM!!! THEY NEED TO BE SHUT DOWN IMMEDIATELY!
Vi
  4th of Apr, 2009
most of the stories sound similar, has anyone found a way to get out of this mess?
cancellation of credit cards?
BBB complaints?
any light at the end of the tunnel?
Ja
  24th of Apr, 2009
I just gave my account number and info to these ppl cus I too was excited that I could get 5 magazines for 3.95 a week. So then they told me it would be 14.95 a month then I talked to Paula the supervisor. She then dropped the monthly cost to 9.95 a month but then she told me that they will charge 39.95 to my account cus ppl get bored seeing 9.95 subtracted from their account every month for 60 months. After I did this transaction my boyfriend kept telling me it was a scam. So I came online and googled it just to find all these complaints and so now I'm calling my bank hoping that I can stop these ppl before they even take any of my money. Thank you guys for posting these complaints. I made a mistake as I so very often do and now I'm hoping to stop them before they even start.