Guitar Center / bait-and-switch

1 San Francisco, CA, United States Review updated:

Guitar Center of SF practices Bait-and-Switch. I contacted Guitar Center SF on 9-19-10 asking if they had any yamaha 12 string guitars in stock and associate Ben informed me they had 2 of them. I asked if he could hold one and he stated he needed 10% down. I told him I had two amps I wanted to trade in and requested how much they usually pay on trade in's. Ben informed me that they don't like giving trade in prices on the phone but stated they usually pay 80% used market value based on google pricing. The next day I arrived to the store only to find they had no yamaha 12 string guitars in stock however, they tried to sell me 2 different more expensive guitars. Their trade in price changed from 80% used market value based on google down to 50% used market based on e-bay. Guitar center uses bad business tactis which are illegal in order to get customers to come into their store. In my case it required a 110 mile round trip, $6 in bridge fare and $15 in fuel just to get to the store. When I arrived there was no parking and I had to lug two large amps up Van Ness Street only to find out they were lying to me on the phone. Not a good store to shop at. Corporate did nothing to rectify the situation and I had to file a complaint with The Better Business Buerau.

Mi

Comments

• Dr
      23rd of Nov, 2012

At this time they sent me a g310 in place of a g400, its been a month and several calls finally got a credit and got taken on shipping!
    AVOID GUITAR CENTER, BAIT AND SWITCH, NO CUSTOMER SERVICE

• Ml
      28th of Nov, 2014

I bought a guitar on line, the ad stated In STORE USED 70's STRAT NAT ASH. When I went to pick it up it wasn't in yet but the order was up on the screen and I noticed it had a serial number listed for the guitar. I brought to the attention of the clerk that that wasn't a 70's strat serial number to which he agreed.

He made calls and eventually I got the General Manager from the Tucson, AZ store #157 Alana. She said the ad was mistyped and apologized. I said all other ads for reissues and anniversary models are clearly marked. I said I wanted what the ad advertised and what I thought I paid for, a 70's fender strat nat ash.
    She said she can't fulfill the sale because of the price difference between what I paid and what their price valuation of a 70's strat is. I explained that I wanted the 70's strat because of the construction of the guitar was better than mexican and tonal difference in pick ups and aged wood that I wanted, I was and then offered me a mexican strat which I said was an insult(and what they sent me). She then sent 2 emails. 1 offering an 89 strat the other a Gibson LP studio (unknown year of manufacture) and unknown condition. Neither were acceptable as I had no pictures to go on.

She then sent me another email with a phone number to what I guess is her boss. I called twice and left messages with no response.

• Ml
      28th of Nov, 2014

PS: I'm thinking of suing, if anyone feels that they were bait and switched by GC please contact me with your info and proof.