Grupo Mayan / sales promises not received

United States Review updated:
1.4
When we arrived at The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya last week for our vacation we were told that we didn't own in the Grand Mayan and they would put us in the Mayan Palace. After making several phone calls home at 10:00 and then demanding for my rightful accommodations, I was placed in one of the new buildings of the Grand Mayan which weren't there last year when we upgraded. The main reason and sales pitch to upgrade was that there were only 7 buildings and we would be closer to the pool and beach. Silly us. Since last April when I was there last, lots of things have changed. When Linda asked us to attend the 30 minute owner's update the next morning we agreed. The next morning was a nightmare! Four hours we sat there with our family and finally figured out that the double talk was so thick - we had no idea of what we were doing. NEVER did we get the owner's update! The sales pitch ended very rudely with Sini - the builder's representative - yelling at us because we wouldn't buy anything else.

Comments

Lk
  31st of Oct, 2008
Does anyone know how to reach Grupo Mayan to make a reservation? All the numbers I was given on my card when I bought in January 2005 are disconnected. I have never had trouble getting a reservation or getting through to speak to a person before. However, I've never seen anything posted about a scam before either so I am quite concerned.
Go
  30th of Jun, 2009
Hi Diane and Cristina,
We would really appreciate if you give us the opportunity to contact you and clarify your issues with our firm, as the personnel for Gonzalez & Gonzalez is highly trained and supervised; and we can assure you that none of our customers have been attacked in any way.
Looking through the files and data base of our company we do not show any record under the name of ¨Diane Jersey¨ and/or ¨Cristine ----¨, who are the people complaining and defaming against the firm.
After 15 years of experience we knew some day this will happen, being conscious of this we back up ourselves by recording every incoming and outgoing telephone call.
In case of the existence of a recorded conversation with you under another name, we would like to expose it to the internet community to prove the opposite of the complaints made on June 30th against Gonzalez & Gonzalez to discard the fact that the post was exposed by our competitors or from the timeshare developers full of frustration by our advocacy and success on the resolution of the cases handled at Gonzalez & Gonzalez.
Also, Gonzalez and Gonzalez has never charged such exaggerated retainer fees, we have a long list of satisfied customers who support our firm, with identifications to validate their existence and able to show their satisfaction by the success in the resolution of their cases.
Gonzalez & Gonzalez counts with ample evidence, to show the Internet community and guarantee that there is no existence of this type of situation in our firm.
Respectfully,
Jose Gonzalez
Wt
  28th of Jun, 2013
I know what you mean. Once I attended a Mayan Palace timeshare presentation just to get the freebies. We tried to say no until we were so tired of it we agreed to a 90 minute presentation for $100 USD per couple and 10% off of our charges for the week. The 90 minutes became 150 minutes. Each time they were ready to let us leave a different person prevented us from leaving. Very rude and dishonest. I had to express anger at the fifth person before they showed us the door. I recommend you to read this article on how to get out of a Mayan Palace timeshare scam:

Bc
  1st of Jul, 2013
Beware of Vacation Class S.A. de C.V. (advertising The Bliss Resorts, Bliss Vacation Club, Grand Mayan, Vida Vacations, VidaSales and more).

My mother and I traveled to Mexico to celebrate my graduation from college. After about seven hours traveling we were met at the airport in Cancun by some saleswoman misrepresenting her intention. The next day we were at their Grand Mayan where we were subjected to five hours of high-pressure sales tactics before we relented signing an English-only document purporting to be selling "lodging rights and services."

After getting away, we learned more about whom we had been picked up by from websites like tripadvisor, timesharescam, complaintsboard, scam, mescam, pissedconsumer, independenttraveler, and fodors, to name a few (all ending dot com). We notified the sales office that we cancel and asked for our downpayment back. They pretend to be confused and refuse.

We learned that Mexican law protects consumers under PROFECO; that all contracts regarding property in Mexico, including timeshares, must be in Spanish and bear certification by a Notario--neither of which was true for us; and that we can file a complaint in at any Mexican Consulate.

Our lawyer is putting together copies of their responses to share with you the names (and taunting words) of these sales people and the additional aliases they use. We hope that this post reaches you before you travel to Mexico, so you know to stay away from these people when they try to get you at the airport.