Greyhound Lines, Inc.bus service/delays/disrespect/customer service/discrimination

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is Maria Gomez Pauley and I purchased three (3) round-trip tickets to travel from Tampa, FL to Pensacola, FL on July 17, 2017. The trip was scheduled for July 19, 2017 through July 23, 2017. The trip to Pensacola on July 19, 2017 was fine. It was extremely long but there were no issues.

I am writing about our return trip on July 23, 2017 which was a very traumatic, stressful, agonizing and exhausting trip. First, the morning of July 23, 2017 we were scheduled to leave Pensacola at 6:10 a.m. We were delayed by almost 2 and half hours. We did not leave Pensacola until almost 9:00 a.m. We understand there are delays but we were told by the bus driver that there was an issue with not having a bus driver in Texas. He indicated that the delay would not impact our transfer in Tallahassee and we would not have any issues. He was very rude when providing us this information. He didn’t even apologize. He pretty much said “ it was not his problem”.

We left Pensacola at 9:00 a.m. and did not get into Tallahassee until 2:00 p.m. or so and we had missed our transfer bus from Tallahassee to Tampa which was scheduled for 1:15 p.m. Alisha at the Tallahassee Greyhound Station told us that all we could do was take a bus at 11:40 p.m. that went to Tampa and would arrive at 7:10 a.m. the next morning on July 24, 2017. This was not going to work for us, as I needed to be at work early on July 24, 2017. We were supposed to arrive in Tampa by 6:50 p.m. on July 23, 2017 if Greyhound did make us miss the bus due to 21/2 hour delay. My husband, Dewayne Pauley tried to discuss the problem with Greyhound and Alisha told us that the best they could was get us to Orlando and they would pay for an Uber. My husband spoke with the corporate office and spoke to Leyda with employee number 1496. The corporate office was not very helpful and all my husband was told was that they we had to call them back 24 hours after our trip was complete. On top of that, she hung up on him.

We relied on the information we were told by Alisha from Greyhound station in Tallahassee regarding travel to Orlando and that they would pay for an Uber. We left on July 23, 2017 from Tallahassee at 8:30 p.m. and ended up in Orlando at almost 1:45 a.m. in the morning on July 24, 2017. We were supposed to get an Uber in Orlando and we were given the round around. Orlando Greyhound Station told us that we needed to call Tallahassee Greyhound and find out. We called Tallahassee Greyhound, corporate office, customer service and we were given the round around and no one was able to help us. I feel like the employee, Alisha just didn’t want to deal with us and just tried to get us out of Tallahassee and told us that the company would pay for an Uber and they did not follow through. It just made matters worse.

We were stuck in Orlando with no money, no food, no transportation and we had our young daughter with us. This was unacceptable. We were treated so disrespectfully. Finally, after numerous calls and speaking with manager in Orlando, they said all they could was give us priority bus to Tampa on Schedule GLI3719 which was supposed to leave at 5:30 a.m. We had no choice but to deal with this and try to get home. This bus was delayed as well by 2 ½ hours and did not leave Orlando until 8:00 a.m. or so and we did not get to Tampa until 10:00 a.m. This was the most horrific experience. We were stuck in Orlando from 1:45 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. This was so unprofessional. We were not even accommodated or reimbursed for anything.

On top of this ordeal of being on the road for almost 24 hours and waiting and dealing with delays, the customer service and security was even worse. We were degraded and treated so wrong. In Orlando, we had dealt with a security guard named Rodney Herman. He was rude, condescending, controlling and extremely racist and rude to customers. He was rude to my husband, Dewayne Pauley in which he called him a racial slur. He called my husband the “N” word and on top of that he called the police on my husband trying to remove us from the premises and have him arrested. We did nothing wrong. All we wanted was to get home.

The security guard, Rodney Herman should be fired and relieved of his duties. He was out of control in calling my husband the “N” word and he was very rude by involving other passengers in the station by discussing his problems. He was rude to a gentleman from another country and also called the police on him. He was extremely not understanding or made any effort to help anyone. He should not be employed with your company and he should be held accountable for his behavior and how he treats people.

The security guard, Rodney Herman, not only called my husband the “N” word, he did it in front of my 11-year-old daughter, Cheyenne Flores. My daughter did not need to experience my husband being disrespected and on top of it the police were called on my husband. Your security guard would not stop staring me down and making comments to other passengers. His behavior was so unbelievable. Another security officer named J. Travecier witnessed the whole situation and also witnessed the security officer, Rodney Herman call my husband the “N” word. Three officers arrived at the scene due to the security officer, Rodney Herman calling them to try to kick us off. We did nothing wrong. Officer Cruz who arrived at the scene in Orlando at the Greyhound Station even told my husband to contact him directly if we experience any problems. He knew we were not at fault.

The only people who made a little effort to assist us were an employee named Tamillia Smith and another security guard J. Travecier. Everyone else treated us very cruel and unprofessional. The manager also could not even care less. Your employees need some serious training in customer service and helping customers.

Throughout this whole experience, all we got was attitudes, and no effort to help us in any way. We are lucky we even got home. It seemed like your company could not even care less. There was no compassion and empathy for situation or anyone else. I spent almost $500.00 and should be reimbursed all my money because of how your company treated us as well as the delays, and detours, etc.

I made it to work extremely late on July 24, 2017 and was running on barely any sleep since I was on a bus or waiting for almost 24 hours from July 23 at 5:00 a.m. to July 24 at 10:00 a.m. No one should go through this type of experience. I should be reimbursed for all the aggravation that your company has caused us.

I was given numerous numbers such as the numbers for the Tallahassee Greyhound [protected], also was given [protected]. No one answered the phone, there was voicemail or we spoke to someone and they would give us the same numbers. I also called Customer Service Manager, Steve Bamberski [protected]. I was unable to leave a message, as he had no voicemail. I also called Regional Manager for Customer Service, Emma Gray [protected] and left a voicemail. We were also given a corporate number [protected] and also [protected]. My husband spoke with Leyda, employee no.:1496 at the corporate office. No one was able to get us the results we needed.

Your company has really made a bad impression on my family and me and has left a very bad taste in my mouth. I would never recommend anyone riding Greyhound ever again. Your managers really need to invest in some training courses for your employees to treat passengers better.

I request that your company evaluate this situation and rectify this situation and proper measures are made to make sure that these types of problems do not occur again. No one should be treated this way and even though, there was a delay, your company should have been courtesy and understanding and done what ever it took to help us.

I request that your company refund the $500.00 spent on these tickets and that your company investigate the problem regarding the security guard, Rodney Herman. He should not be working as a security guard the way he treats people. His mean and rude demeanor is uncalled for and he should be held responsible for his behavior. In addition, your company should have severe training courses for your employees regarding customer service and respect for others. My husband also deserves an apology by the security officer, Rodney Herman.

If you have any questions or require any documentation, please let me know. I would appreciate it if your corporate manager contacts me to discuss these issues at [protected]. If I do not hear from your office, I will have no alternative but to file a formal civil suit against your company for discrimination.

Sincerely,