Greyhound Bus Line / rudeness of employees, filthy conditions of buses and terminals

Dear Customer Service Representative:

I gave up traveling by Greyhound a long time ago due to the gross inconvenience of scheduling, rudeness of employees and most of all, the filthy conditions of buses and terminals. After listening to commercials about the improvements made by Greyhound, I decided to give it another try. I must say you have done a good job of upgrading bathroom facilities and I saw some nice buses with tvs, but I was unable to get on one. Also, I was pleasantly surprised at how cordial most of the drivers were. I only enountered one who was very sullen and rude.

However, the trip turned out to be a very miserable one because even though I had my ticket well in advance and was at the station in ample time, twice I could not get on the bus I was scheduled for because of overcrowding and had to wait over a couple of hours. No buses were sent in to accommodate the overload when clearly there were enough people to fill another bus. So I got home almost another day later, calling constantly to change arrangements with the person who was to pick me up.

I was also disappointed that you've removed the bags from buses for depositing trash. At certain stops, we were told to make sure nothing was left on the floor because buses were going to be cleaned. But when we got back on the buses there was no sign that anything had been cleaned. There were still wrappers and bottles on the floor.

The next problem, and this is a big issue for me, is how disgustingly dirty the restrooms are. It is just super hard for me to stomach unkempt restrooms. I know this problem stems from public use and many people are just nasty, inconsiderate and do not clean up behind themselves. Cincinnati was the worst offender. Actually, the other places, except maybe Knoxville, were fairly decent, especially in comparison to Cincinnati. Paper all over the floor, some stalls without tissue paper, empty soap dispensers, unflushed toilets and water everywhere. (floor and countertops) I suggest that restrooms should be cleaned at least 3 times a day or an attendant on frequent duty.

My last complaint is with food service. I remember a time (I know we can't so back to the good old days) when I used to go to the Greyound station just to eat. Our bus arrived in Louisville, KY and the driver told us they had pretty good food there. Was I ever hungry as we had very short stops at places with a vending machine or two. Louisville, cafeteria was completely bare. Said other buses had cleaned them out. Only had a few hot dogs (sat in water and was without taste) and 1 piece of chicken left over. Another bad experience. It would be nice to have some tasty meals for passengers to eat. I would certainly expect the larger cities like Cincinnati, Detroit, Nashville and Louisville to have something worth eating. What you do have is very costly so it might as well be good, don't you think?

Unfortunately, I know this letter won't make a bit of difference, but I just wanted to let my opinion be heard.

Sincerely,
Katie

Va

Comments

Ra
  22nd of Apr, 2008

We booked ticket from Bellingham WA, to Vancouver BC . The scheduled time of departure at Bellingham WA as 5.25pm and we traveled from south to reach Bellingham at 4.10pm. We were told at at Bellingham that the bus, which originates from Seattle will not stop at Bellingham and we would have to take the next bus which was at 8.25p.m.
Because they over booked at Seattle!
We compalined to the customer service representative at the counter, but she simply shrugged her shoulder and said that it was a mistake made at Seattle and she should do nothing, closed the counter and went home!
The next bus at 8.25pm did pick us up, but the bus was delayed at the border crossing for nearly 2 hours and by the time it reached Vancouver BC it was around mid night. I complained to Gray Hound but never got any response!!.
My advice don't travel by Gray Hound . They suck

Br
  22nd of Apr, 2008

Hi We had similar experienc. They over book and don't stop. some time the staff are very rude. they don't care any way

Ja
  6th of Aug, 2008

Just this weekend I experienced the same issues as you all. Tacoma to Vancouver, BC - the 11:25a was an hour late getting in due to the driver taking too long at the stops from Portland, OR. We arrive in Seattle at 1:10p with both 12:45 busses having just pulled out - how easy it would have been to call ahead and let them know we would be right there. No one was available to let us know what to do or what the schedule was except to tell us to get in line so we can get onto the bus. Busses came and went but not to Vancouver, BC - they arrived broken or not able to accomodate a wheelchair. Finally we left Seattle around 6:00pm. During the time we were there were 2 announcements both of which I had to relay to the line because no one could hear, both being about more delays but nothing definative. There were no managers to be found anywhere. We were in line for 5 hours with no seats, no offer of food or vouchers, no one to let us know what was going on. I have put in a formal complaint and I have encouraged others on my bus to do the same. I am very disappointment overall in Greyhound but specifically the dirty & understaffed Seattle location.

Sh
  25th of Feb, 2009
Greyhound Bus Line - broke down bus and no where to get answers
greyhound bus lines
Sweetwater
Texas

we have family arriveing on the bus, but get a call saying there broke down.they will be delayed for several hours.but the worst, when trying to find out information, on how long the delay will be, and when they will now arrive.we found that there are no answers.we have internet and phone.neither one were helpful.there are still no answers to our upsetting questions.we are very stressed and uptight over our family members out in the cold.please contact us. 209 346 3477.(sherri)

Mr
  26th of May, 2009
Greyhound Bus Line - UNACCEPTABLE SERVICE
GREYHOUND BUS LINE
FRESNO CALIFORNIA
California

THE BUS DRIVER WAS A PIG WITH HIS CONSTANT EATING, ALL HE NEEDED TO DO WAS BRINGOUT THE PICKNICK BASSKET NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO THE WHELL, SAFETY, MANNERS TO THE CUSTOMERS AND RUDD GIVING PEOPLE A DEMEANER LOOK AT ALL TIMES, I THOUGHT GREYHOUND WAS A TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, BESIDES THIS HE HAD POOR HYGENE - THIS WAS COMENTED BT 35 PERCENT OF THE PEOPLE IN THE BUS, IT SMELLED LIKE VOMITE - THE SWINE FLUE INFILTERATED THE GREYHOUND HOW LOW HAS THE QUALITY OF SERVICE HAS COME

BUS NUMBER 6510 STARTED IN FRESNO CALIFORNIA BUT I HAD TO GET OFF BEFORE MY HELATH GOT WORSE I GOT OFF AT SAN JOSE CALIFORNIA, BUT YOU WOULD NEVER GUESS THE NAME OF THIS SORRY ### DRIVERS NAME... COINSADENCE ... DRIVERS NAME IS DENVER PIGGE ( PIGGIE IS RIGHT)

Do
  11th of Jun, 2009

My friend and I decided to go to Kansas City MO to see the KC Royals baseball game. When we got to the primary bus station in Salina KS, the bus driver told us we could get on the bus even though the bus was full. We sat down in seats together and when the reboarders got back on the bus we found that we had taken a guy's seat. He was very polite about it, but the bus driver came back and demanded my friend get out of this guy's seat. My friend did not get out of the seat and the bus driver asked the guy to go sit elsewhere, but the guy ended up standing in the aisle for fifty miles along with four or five other people. When we got ready to come home from Kansas City, although we had been waiting for the bus home for over three hours we could not get on the bus because of overbooking. It was around two o'clock in the afternoon and the woman at the service desk said we would have to wait until 12:30 am the next day to get on a bus. Nobody seemed to care.We were stranded there until I remembered a shuttle service, the Roadrunners. We had to spend extra money to get to the airport and get picked up and then it cost us dearly to get home, much more than we would have paid if we rode the bus. I will never ride the Greyhound bus company again unless someone in the family has died and it is a dire emergency. I am glad to get this off my chest even though we cannot do anything about it.

He
  9th of Aug, 2009

I am an RN who wanted to find a way to see my new grandbaby in Tacoma Washington, from Chicago, Ill. I checked out the greyhound website and saw that they were working on upgrades, their fares were good, so I thought why not!

By the time I was in Milwaukee I was in tears. The seat cushion was ripped and very uncomfortable, the bus driver had already used the F word on two little old ladies, the bathroom on the bus stunk, I would not attempt to use it.

Needless to say it only got worse from there, St. Regis Montanna they made us all get off the bus and left us at a cafe/casino combo that closed at 11:00pm The bus said they would be back by 10:50 it was more like 11:20 so all were left outside the establishment, other people had small children. Not to mention the patrons that were coming out with a little too much to drink.

Again in Spokane we all had to get off the bus just to reboard this was 1:20 am - around 2am. Needless to say sleep was out of the question, again what about the mothers with small children. These were not transfers.

But the last leg of the trip was beyond inhumane. The cooling system would decide to dump the condensation down on various passengers, including me, it would soak our seats, pillows and blankets. When the passengers complained to a greyhound attendant she informed us that she "was not in maintenance". The bus was full so finding another seat was out of question. The last five to six hours on the bus the bathroom smelled so bad that it literally made me nauseous every time someone opened the door. The attendant that wasn't in maintenance apparently didn't do housekeeping either as she never attempted to clean the bathroom.

Being a nurse the infection control issues have me quite concerned especially with the H1N1 pandemic at hand. I intend to investigate this further.

Heidi

Ga
  23rd of Oct, 2009
Greyhound Bus Line - Bad service
Greyhound Bus Line

I was travelling across America and used my credit card for the first time in over a year to purchase a ticket from Lexington Kentucky to Austin Texas. A few days later it was charged $275 to Rent a Center in KY, there was no physical way I could have been there since I was in Texas!!! Since this there was 2 other fraudulent transactions before I stopped the card.

When I think of it the guy who served me was overly friendly with me, thought he was *** and hitting on me!! He must have passed on my credit details there is no other explaination since it stayed in my wallet the whole time, only used my credit card to buy a ticket because Greyhound stations tend to be in the wrong end of town and would not like to carry cash! Anyway know anything more about this please contact me. Have emailed Greyhound and have had no response!!!

Ra
  2nd of May, 2010

Last summer, I decided to go to Seattle for a weekend vacation. I originated from my hometown of Lewiston, Idaho (the bus depot was a truck stop called the Shell DynaMart). The place was OK and the bus (Northwestern Trailways) was fairly decent.
The Northwestern Trailways bus ended at Spokane (another fairly decent bus terminal), but the ticket clerk told me that the bus to Seattle scheduled for 1:45AM was overbooked or so I thought and I would have to be on the next bus at 9:00AM. Luckily, I manage to get on the 1:45AM bus thanks to the good Lord. A somewhat decent trip. But when I got to Seattle, the bus depot was filthy and when I went to the ladies room and saw one of the toilets had blood in it, it made me gag. And so, I decided to originate from Everett instead. I'll be going to Seattle again in mid-May and this time, I'll be taking the plane instead.

Di
  20th of Aug, 2010

It's also very unprofessional for a business to not allow passengers to transport a pet along with them on board providing the passanger has taken all the necessary steps are taken to protect pet and passangers. Would Greyhound tell a parent she/he could not bring a crying infant on board? For a pet is also equal as that of a child they both create the same amount of time & space.