Greenspring Publishing / submission of a poem

1 2833 smith Ave. #153 Greenspring, MD 21209Greenspring, MD, United States Review updated:
Phone: 888-235-8279

I submitted a poem to PoetryAmerica.com on 2/19/09. On 5/19/09, I received a letter from Greenspring Publishing explaining to me that they wanted to publish the poem I submitted in a anthology series called "Whispers". I tried to contact Greenspring Publishing through the number they gave and the website. The website was not valid and no one called me back. I believe that my work could be exploited without my permission. I also think that the company is fake. Please let me know. Greenspring is saying that I need to send money to receive a copy of the collection. Please find out something for me.

Comments

• Jg
      22nd of May, 2009

In case you weren't aware, Complaints Board isn't here to find out anything for you. They are simply here for people to post complaints. They don't contact companies, they don't try to get money back, they don't really help people fix anything either. The odd poster or member here might respond if they've had any dealings with a company being complained about.

To answer your questions, this company you ask about has been around for a number of years under one name or another. Are they a scam? Yes and no. In this case, what they offer you, usually is to have your poetry/prose/story etc. published in a book (anthology) and if you order a copy of this book, you will see your work in it...if and when you get the book. Some people get the books, others say they've never received it. I know three people who submitted work to these people. Two of them paid for the books and received them, with their work published in the book. The other person's work was to have been in the same book. He did not buy the book, and his work was not in it.

There is a "sister" site to this one (but the focus is photography rather than written work) that is run under the premise.

They won't (usually), however, publish your poem without you paying for the book. If you don't pay, your work doesn't get published.

Just do a google search for for "poetryamerica"...this is the search result:

Many complaints about it being a scam.

• Gr
      17th of Jun, 2009

Hi,

Just so you know, I work for Greenspring publishing. And we have never operated under any other name.

We do not require that you purchase a copy of the book in order to be published in it. Approximately half of the poems in our anthologies are for authors who have not purchased a copy.

When we send an Author's Proof, this does not mean that you will be published in the book, only that we want to publish you.

If you send back your permission for us to publish your poem, then we may choose to use your poem in our upcoming anthology. We will choose the best poems for our anthologies, most poems do not get published.

If you purchase a copy of the anthology which will be featuring your poem, we will only cash your check or charge your credit card if you are actually featured. Paying is not a guarantee to being published.

Our company is Greenspring Publishing, not PoetryAmerica.com, not Poetry.com not White Oak Publishing, we also don't have any sister companies. Most of these companies are now out of business - we are not nor have we every been any of these companies. Please do not confuse us with them. We take pride in our work.

Only the top 5% of all submitted poems are considered for publication, and only the top 2% are actually published.

If you have any questions you can reach us at Support@GreenspringPublishing.com

Sincerely,
    Josh

• De
      18th of Jun, 2009

I hate that people like myself have been fooled with this whole situation. I am going to pay the money and hope that I see something with my name attached to it. It's hard to write all of your life and the only people that acknowledge it is people with another agenda. I live in a town where your dreams are crushed as soon as you think them. I'm not going to let anyone else take away my dreams. I will succeed.

• Ew
      10th of Jul, 2009

Hi,

My name is Evelyn Wilburn and I too submitted a poem to http://www.poetryamerica.com/index.asp, and received a response from Green Spring Publishing on 7/9/09 requesting my permission to publish my work. The website is real, the phone numbers are real (recordings) but, the phone was answered.

However, I am not interested in the company publishing my work due to the fact I was not offered any finance for my work. So...I re-read the letter and it stated that I could purchase an anthology if I so desired, but it is not required in order my poem to be published. The letter was simply asking for my permission do so. I stated (wrote on the letter) that I am not interested in the company publishing the poem and mailed in back today (7/10/09). I also sent an email to the address on the website, again, stating I do not desire the poem to be published. I too, intend to buy just to see if it was published.

I submitted the poem to poetryamerica.com just to get hopefully get some feedback and to see if the poem would be published on their website. I was very excited to hear from Green Spring Publishing, but very disappointed that I was not offered mula. So, I chose to pass on the offer. There are contest that pay huge amounts if one wins and do not accept published material. I think I will try my changes with someone who pays.

• Fr
      28th of Aug, 2009
    Greenspring Publishing - Phony publishing offer
    Greenspring Publishing

I was approached by greenspring publishing twice asking to publish my poem, From Sorrow To Acceptance.I have given them permission through the mail and email, but haven't heard anything further.A number of people I know have told me that Greenspring Publishing is a scam!

• Br
      11th of Sep, 2009

I paid the money, but nobody sent me the book. Please someone help me! What should I do?

• Ca
      18th of Sep, 2009

This is crazy. I did not submit anything to green Spring Publishing, but to another poetry website and now I am being solicited by them. How does this happen? I think this is ridiculous. The poem that was submitted to another company was submitted more than 2 years ago at this point. I am so tired of people taking advantage of people...especially children. This needs to stop. As for the person who said that he works for this company...bull crap! They have a different name now or else my poem would not be available to you. I paid to have my poe, published, you took my money and never gave me a book. Now they're saying that it will be available at Barnes and Noble and Amazon...we'll see!

• Pu
      18th of Sep, 2009

honey dont pay a DAMN PENNY not a thin dime.its a classic poetry.com scam.first of all they have to seek your permission to print your work.they cant just print it without your consent .heres the catch, they only print your work if you pay for the anthology.if not it goes in the trash.please google poetry.com scams.i have also received the same email and i did my homework on them.its a business they dont have the interests of YOU the author at heart.if you pay up they plug in a hurried poorly formated and unedited copy of your work into their ragtag "anthology'' and mail it to you. AGAIN ONLY those that pay for the book get published and so only the ###s that fall for this will have a copy, never the general public.noone will see your work.no exposure no nothing. to prove this i sent POETRY.COM THE POEM BELOW...and HEY PRESTO! next day they said id won a prize and wanted to publish me...

poetry dot com, poetry dot scam
    just for bums, is after your funds
    i promise they dont read these
    or il ### a plum
    a hoax, a fraud, what ### chums
    when morrow i wake, in inbox comes
    a message from, these sons of guns
    alas hooray, iv won a prize
    these conmen, swindlers, gang of ###
    didnt bother to read a word.

• Jm
      18th of Sep, 2009

I simply called and emailed the company asking about copyright status, funds I should receive (they are making a profit after all), and my status as a writer (would it be published in all the books). I am a nursing student, and in my spare time, I love to write poetry. I cannot even remember when I submitted the poem, but I think it was about four years ago. Of course, I am waiting for a response, but I absolutely know it is a scam. I will not have something published if I receive none of the profit...that has scam written all over it. Of course I think my poem is unique and very good, as well as everybody else does. I am going to try to get it copyrighted myself and put it in a greeting card. The title is, "Dad Means So Many Things, " and I originally wrote it for my boyfriend (now my husband) for father's day. If your poem is good enough, you should make money off of it, not just get recognition. Keep that in mind everybody, and you will be safe. Also, keep copies of all emails sent back and forth, and all phone conversations. This way you CYA. That's all I have to say!

• St
      23rd of Nov, 2009

I just recieved a letter today in the mail asking me for permission to publish my poem in their new book called "Whispers". I however do not yet know if it is a scam or real. i want to believe it is real but i don't want to send in money and not have the poem published! I am only 15 years old so I do not know how to go about doing these things!

• Ia
      2nd of Dec, 2009

I also paid for a book called voices but I have not received it, I have tried to contact them but to no avail!

3rd of Dec, 2009

I just received the same email today asking me for "permission" to submit one of my poem in the book called "Whispers" as well. I have not sent in any money becuase i'm very skeptic about random things like this and have heard many scams such as these. I would say that unless there isnt a number an actual petrson to give face for any of these assumed publications than i urge everyone NOT to send in any money or purchase anything...

• Po
      5th of Dec, 2009

I have also been asked to have one of my poem's published the book whisper's. I would have agreed but my friend di research and found out about it. I am so angry that there are people and companies like these who try to scam you and steal your work. I poored my heart and soul into it and then they want to scam me?! What the hell?

• Ap
      5th of Dec, 2009

###s! I pay them so they can make money off of me? Ha! Lunacy!

• Da
      7th of Dec, 2009
    Greenspring Publishing - SCAMMERS $$$$$$
    Greenspring Publishing
    Buffalo
    Minnesota

Watch out for these guys If you submit anything for publication and they respond with (You can buy your personel copy of your soon to be published article, piece, or book ) RUN They are scammers looking to take your moola

• Br
      9th of Dec, 2009

I also was told that my work was going to be publisherd in "whispers" and after reading this it is all ver disheartening consiering im only fifteen, thinking I had a shot at writing poetry.

14th of Dec, 2009

I just got my poem published by them in the most recent anthology called "Whispers". You can find it on their site. My poem can be found on page 79. It's called "The Search"

14th of Dec, 2009

Voices has not yet been completed so give them time. I bought "Whispers" and know for a fact my poem is in there.

• Gr
      15th of Dec, 2009

Hello, in regards to the questions and concerns pertaining to Greenspring Publishing . I have a Paralegal Degree and recently submitted a poem dedicated to the memory of my late Daughter . They did offer to accept and publish my poem in the latest edition of WHISPERS a collection of short works . They are 100 % honest, upfront, and perfectly clear on the details not scammers, or conartists . I ordered a quantity of books for gifts . They delivered on everything they promised to do. Where can you obtain a excellent publisher of this caliber at this price ? . The presentation of there services is very understanding and simple. Please have no apprenhension in dealing with them . Thank You . Joseph Leom.

• Ri
      17th of Dec, 2009

I just got the same letter and sent in the money. Today I recieved the book with my poem in it! I was so excited. It is not a scam. Honestly.