Greendot Prepaid Cards / CREDITING UNAUTHORIZED CHARGES TO CUSTOMER

1 CA, United States Review updated:

i've been a customer of greendot since 2005 or 2006. throughout the years, i've had a history of months of a few dollars in reload, to months in which i made a modest amount of reloads. the month of January 2010 has been a bonanza--in the dollar amount i've loaded into my card--roughly $6900!!! followed by February in which i've so far loaded nearly $2000. which is why i'm more so aggravated to be sitting down at 4:30am writing a letter to collect a mere $143.49!!!

on January 31, 2010, having loaded $400.00 onto my card, i ordered food from a chinese restaurant for about $16, paid for a hotel room. for about $73, and was shocked to be declined when i tried to buy gas later that day due to lack of sufficient funds!!!

when i checked online, i noticed 4 UNAUTHORIZED items PENDING:

3 charges for $75.00--from an arco gas station from which i'd only made a purchase of $23.00

a charge for $143.00 from a walmart in lancaster, ca--a place i've never been in my life!

i promptly called greendot and reported it a a theft! i told them i wished to press charges and have the perpetrator arrested. i also asked that the money be CREDITED to my account immediately! i was told it could not be done then--since it was still pending--that i should wait till after its posted to ring back, that it would then take 3-5 days for it to be credited. i requested a new card and asked for fast delivery, since i was staying in a hotel.

i was told to load $30 onto the card to cover the fedex OVERNIGHT charges. i got the card AFTER FOUR DAYS! what was the point of paying all that money--if the mail took as long as regular mail? i asked repeatedly if i'd get it overnight and was told yes. it was sent Sunday--so i thought...Monday--Tuesday tops...did not get it till Thursday! this ended up costing me $73x3 (nightly rate for hotel) since i couldn't very well go home let my card be received after i'd checked out!

after the charge to walmart was posted, i called back and had the most horrendous experience with greendot to date!!! nobody i spoke to seemed to fully understand me; they'd be stuck and repeat a phrase over and over--whether or not it reflected or concerned what i was saying. when i asked to speak to a supervisor, they'd put me on hold till the dial tone came on. when i asked to speak to a supervisor on american soil--who speaks english as a FIRST language, they simply hung up on me!

my level of frustration got so high, i became afraid for my health, (i have very high blood pressure) so for 2 weeks, i steered clear of calling greendot...when i finally called, i was told first that they couldn't help me b'cos the charge had been posted--meaning the merchant now had the funds, so it was out of their hands--that I SHOULD CONTACT WALMART MYSELF AND TRY TO EXTRICATE MY STOLEN MONEY FROM THIER CLUTCHES!!!

i went totally nuts and said no way--that i'd waited for it to post because i was told BY GREENDOT--that only then, could my money be credited to my account...i requested they retrieve the recording of my calls (don't they always say they're recorded for "quality assurance"?) to prove that greendot reps, did indeed say so. he acknowledged that was indeed, the policy--wait till it posts, then have your money credited into your account--something i'd done many times before--find an unauthorized charge, call greendot and its credited in a few days?

why has this been sooooooooooo problematic--and in a month that i loaded more money onto my card than ever? i asked and i'm asking...why is it that i never saw those $75x3 to arco--$225 (which had been SUBTRACTED from my total CASH balance) in the CREDIT column of my card statement.

in a world where even the tiniest mom and pop shops are going green and paperless, why won't greendot EMAIL me records from my OLD card which i no longer have access to, but very much need for my records and taxes?

why am i the one going through all these headaches, when according to your policy and employees, i did EVERYTHING i should have done:

i reported the theft and requested credit SAME DAY it occurred.
i called back after it was posted--when i was ASSURED it would be a matter of days till i got my money back.
i requested a cancellation of the old card and ordered new one--at an expense to me.
i requested an investigation and let it known i wished to press charges.

having done all this, why am i having so much difficulty retrieving my hard earned CASH, when the thief who stole it had such an easy time using my card WITHOUT being in possession of it, WITHOUT my identification and authorization? isn't it greendot's REPONSIBILITY to make it MORE DIFFUCULT FOR THIEVES to steal from its customer's card? why does greendot expect me to contact walmart and investigate by myself?

why can we no longer speak to americans or english speaking staff IN AMERICA DURING BUSINESS HOURS--9-5PM? i mean, i understand outsourcing calls AFTER business hours, but not 24/7! this has led me to lose confidence in greendot--as if going offshore is one step closer to its bigwigs soon taking all our CASH and bailing to some exotic offshore company, where they can't be touched by the US.

that's why i've put LESS money on the card this month--and depending on how this letter is handled, why i'll be taking my business elsewhere--it seems clear its not appreciated by greendot. finally, due to my negative experiences with greendot lately, i have decided to warn other unsuspecting prospects by posting this letter--as is on complaints board dot com--check it out...you'll find i'm not the only one complaining about your poor services>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you wish to dispute a transaction that has posted to your statement

i unequivocally DISPUTE the transaction made at walmart lancaster on January 31 2010 in the amount of $143.49. i did not make the charge, did not authorize it, have NEVER been in that city AND CAN PROVE IT!

I HEREBY DEMAND THAT THE SUM OF $143.49 BE CREDITED TO MY ACCOUNT AND THAT EXPLANATION BE GIVEN AS TO WHY$225 FROM ARCO ON SAME DAY HAS NEVER BEEN SHOWN CREDITED TO MY ACCOUNT.

if this is not handled to my satisfaction, i shall call upon dateline nbc, 60 minutes or 20/20 to investigate your practices.

Comments

• Gu
      18th of Mar, 2010

My Green Dot
    Free Direct Deposit, Free Credit Builder. Free Bill Pay - Apply Here.
    GreenDot.CardSuggest.net

Load Accountnow Debit Card W/ Green Dot
    Free direct deposit and bill pay. No credit check. $0 activation fee.
    AccountNow.com

With Unauthorized Charges
    Millions of Products. Read Reviews. With Unauthorized Charges: Prices.
    www.NexTag.com/Electronics

Green dot and Account Now are part of Meta Bank
    You are actually dealing with Meta Bank by using one of their pre-paid bank cards.
    I wonder why whenever there is a complaint about one of their products on the Complaints Board Site that that an ad for one of their products also pops up on that same page?

Does that not seem strange to direct you to the very same product that you are complaining about and so frustrated with over having had such awful service with only moments before to try to get you to buy more of the exact same thing?

This is so bizarre to me.

• De
      9th of Jan, 2011

@A.Della - This is almost similar to my experience with green dot and an unauthorized charge fro $113.56. I had an old DirecTV account, closed for about 3 months. In fact that old account with DirectTV had an expired card in its records and was not authorized to auto charge. I found that the card was charged $113.56 becasue when I went ot go use it, it came back declined. So I look online and found that the charge was posted, but not processed. So I called immediately and disputed the charge. The CSR was friendly and helpful and said that the money would be back on with in 24-48 hours.
    About 24 hours later, all of the money I disputed went back on the card. I used it again several times, and then I tried to use it at a gas station and it came back declined. I called again. This CSR was also helpful, and said that it was a mistake, and that the accounting department would put it back on the card by midnight that evening. As a safety measure, I also emailed a complaint to Green Dot, and received a canned response to call the customer service number. 24 hours went by with no movement back to the card, so I called this morning.
    Now I get another story. The CSR informs me that the DTV charge was paid and that I needed to now take my dispute up with them. I am really at a loss for words as I clearly told them the charge was unauthorized, and made on an expired card. Then the CSR kept telling me that they could open up a dispute for the charge, to which I told her, I did that already back with the first call that lead THEM to put the money back on the card.
    I asked to be elevated to a supervisor. I was transferred to a CSR supervisor that just did not seem to give one [censor] about anything. I explained it all again to him, to which he started to repeat the runaround line of - We can open up a dispute for that charge if you like. So I run through it again, and he tells me that they paid the money to DirecTV because they ran the charge through again.
    Now I had him in a direct lie. I removed the bad card information from DirecTV (Remember the card on file was expired), and my transaction history shows no new charges from DirecTV. It shows all of the other declined charges, but DirecTV was not on there. So I put a stop to all conversation with that supervisor. I told him that I caught him in a lie, and that I cannot trust a single thing he tells me, and to please elevate me to his supervisor. Well surprise, surprise... he was apparently the call center commander and there was not one to elevate to right then. I asked when I could call back, and he said tomorrow.
    This is still unresolved, I know that it is only $113.56, but I want to know that if I am going to use this card to store money, that it is going to be protected, and when I dispute something, they will side with their customer, not a merchant. They need to have someone in that call center that can make a decision.

• Db
      13th of Feb, 2014

My first call to dispute charges, I told customer service to cancel my card immediately.. A week later found card not cancelled and new card not on the way. As these are reloadable debit cards, company may purposely try to take advantage of their customers. You should record your 1st and all subsequent calls. Print off call dates, times, and duration( avail on cell and voip phone calls). Out the company that has such shoddy business practices. For instance Greendot manages accounts for other companies. Not only would I cancel my account, but let Walmart, Best buy or any other company involved with the card know why I am cancelling. Also, make a complaint with the FTC. They would track if a company tends to so this often (business as usual). Of course Better Business Bureau. When writing a letter put as much info as possible. No account info if account is not yet closed (which you should confirm). That way you can tweak the letter for mailing. My reloadable card may not be the same, but as they have "standards, " we also. By the way keep track of any further losses. If any after notice to company to shut down your card.