Green Tree Securities, Inc. / SweepStakes winner

1 100 Main Street, ON, CA Review updated:

I rceived a letter stating I am a sweepstakes winner is this a legit company? The letter claims I won this sweepstakes two months ago and this is my final notification. There is even a large check attached to the letter.

Comments

• Da
      Sep 07, 2009

i received the same letter . have u not called them yet?

• Me
      Sep 08, 2009

It's a fraud check this page out:

• Ca
      Sep 08, 2009

We got the exact same letter, and really needed money, as 2 of us lost our jobs, and we have 4 children/grandchildren to support. We were overjoyed.My daughter had entered several contests on line, so thought legit. Gave check to my credit union, and it came back as counterfeit check. Called the company, in our case, Greentree Securities Inc. Same letter as the one written to Waterhouse, same man, different phone numger, different manager. (They took my phone #, said would check out why it came back as counterfeit, and call us back), We were not asked to send them the tax money, we were not asked to send them anything, so really counted on this. I spent some money had saved for cable ahead of time, as my bank put a hold on check and we would get it soon. I wish people would not do this to people really in need. I am 60, with arthritis, and no one wants to hire me, it's been a year now, and I have not been able to deal with school fees., etc., and my daughter's ex keeps quitting jobs, and will not send any money, or pay child support. If any one is suing these people, count us in. I kept the letter, and am getting a copy of check back from my credit union.

• Ve
      Sep 09, 2009

I also got the same check in the mail.I called the number on the check talked to a male wasnt too confident in his conversation.He advsd me to take the check to the bank and deposit and call him back.He than advsd me I needed to western union him the taxes in sum of over 2, 000.When question why I cant just send to IRS He assured me this western union address was IRS, he than put me on hold and never returned.I never took the check to the bank.Isnt this against the law to present yourself as a goverment agency, false representation.

• Re
      Sep 09, 2009

i just got off the phone with lewisMcGregorph#[protected].told me to go deposit a check for 5, 980. an then call him back emeditly.said 2995.00 was for taxes.ha.addressis greentree securities inc. 100 main st. morriston ont h4n_3l4.what would you do?

• Go
      Sep 09, 2009

Thanks for the help. I received the same letter from Green Tree Securities for $5, 980.00 and when I spoke to the gentleman (scammer) he told me to deposit check and then call him back, so he can give me info for send my taxes... Clark Howard needs to know about this!

• Cf
      Sep 10, 2009

I received the same check and letter in the mail. I am very sick and so is my son when I got this I thought that this was the pay off for entering all of these sweepstakes. I spoke to the same person who told me to deposit the check and call him back.I also know someone who was arrested for cashing this no good check. She also had to pay back the bank plus penalties and interest.PLEASE BE AWARE OF THIS COMPANY !!!

• Nu
      Sep 14, 2009

i also received this same check, imagine almost all 20 of us winners checked them out on the net. My husband is on the way to New York to shoot the SOB's. LOL. We will definitely see about shutting this scam down.

• Tr
      Sep 15, 2009

I received same letter -- contacted local FBI office, but since originates in Canada, can't do much. They did give me Canadian Anti-Fraud number: [protected]. Also can go on-line and fill out complaint: www.recol.ca Well worth the time to try and stop these people.

Sep 15, 2009

I just recieved same letter & check . I haven't called him yet... could I help set up some sort of sting... any ideas?

Sep 16, 2009

Add me to the list of almost having been defrauded. $5, 980.00 cashiers check, looked very legit. Only after a nites sleep that I was able to put 2 & 2 together. I have some backtracking to do, as I have already deposited the check. I'm curious if I wasn't found as a sucker by these scamers, off a post on Craigslist?

• Bo
      Sep 16, 2009

I got a phony check too. Thanks for the info regarding this fraud. I was also told to cash the check and call them back. When I asked the lady who spoke to me ( in broken English, with a Jamaican accent), if this was some kind of fraud, she replied that it was legit. But, being the skeptic that I am, I decided to check it out online.
    Glad I did, Thanks

• Bi
      Sep 16, 2009

I received a check also. Glad I googled GreenTree Securities Inc. These people should be locked up. I called [protected] and no one answered. I just wanted to see what they said. Who in the heck sends out a check and then tells you not to cash the check until you call them and keep some of the check for taxes. Crazy!

• Wb
      Sep 18, 2009

I got the same letter as everyone is discribing. I actually called the bank that the check is issued under (RBC) bank, and found out this is legitimate account, but it is a faudulant check. I faxed the letter and check to the RBC bank and their fraud department is investigating.

• Co
      Sep 21, 2009

We got the same letter and the check $5, 980.00 is from Cross Country Home Services, Inc., Florida. The check has an account # from BofA. It is a fraudulent check of course.

• Wi
      Sep 23, 2009

I just received this check and plan on taking to my bank to find a way to catch these jokers. I received a similiar check last year and had desposited and it had cleared until the day I went to the back to claim the money. BEWARE EVERYONE. I AM DETERMINED TO GET THESE PEOPLE. How about let's send them a counterfeit check for the taxes?

• Dy
      Sep 25, 2009

My husband just got one of these letters. I am holding the check in my hand and thanking my lucky stars that all of you left these comments. We will not call and will not deposit the check. Although, I must say, they are kind of smart for targeting people who all seem to be in a bad way. We could really use the money. This really sucks.

• Mi
      Sep 28, 2009

I have recived a check for $5980.00 Check is from HSBC Bank ...in Hunnington NY... I Have not deposited the check... i thought it was real into i called the back in Hunnington NY & there was not one then i went to anywho looked it up an looked up the greentree securities inc an there is not one im glad i got on here and googled everything befor i chased it i could of use it to i am a single mother with 3 kids ... i hate it when these people do this its sick and i wish they would chatch them ...Lewis McGregor at [protected] is the number i got i tryed calling it an keep geting nothing no ancering deal or no one would pick up thats when i desided to get on here an look things up i am so glad i did ... thank you everyone for posting this fake stuff goin on on here ...

• Sd
      Sep 28, 2009

Thank you all for taking the time to post your comments. I also received a check, same amount, same address and letter. I got suspicious and decided to "google" it. Thank God you posted your comments.

I also sent an email to the Better Business Bureau filing a complaint, as they had no information on Greentree Securities. I told them just to google it and they'd have a bunch! Thanks, again.
    sd

• Va
      Sep 29, 2009

I also received the check (although could not for the life of me remember any sweepstakes I entered). Called the number and the lady (jamaican accent) told me I was chosen from a customer list provided by Home Depot, JC Penny and others. Told me to cash the check and then call them back and they would give me instructions on how to pay taxes, but decided to check this out first online to make sure it was leget but to my amazment it's not thank god i didn't deposit the darn check ...

• Li
      Oct 01, 2009
    Green Tree Securitiess Inc. - Check
    Green Tree Securities Inc.
    606 Olive St.
    Los Angeles
    California
    Phone: [protected]

I recieve a check for $5, 980.00. Called the telephone number and can't get no one.

• Go
      Oct 05, 2009

I recieved a bogus check too from green tree securites 7 high street ste 411 huntington, ny 11743. SCAM! SCAM! SCAM! $5980.00 Final winning notice! too good to be true! Though I wish it was true ;) Feel bad for those who spent the money that they never recieved.

• Da
      Nov 15, 2009

I am going thru a divorce and could use this money, BUT, I knew it was a scam from the get go. I recieved a check like this in 2008 and it to was a scam. The guys name is the same but the bank is different. Watch out it could cost you more to get out of this. It is not worth. Destroy with a paper shredder.No other way to get rid of it.