Green Tree / Unethical business practices

We had a second with Bank of America that originated with Country Wide. In the first week of Feb 2011 we were advised that "Green Tree" would be servicing the account, but Bank of America would still own it? Since our payment was due on the 1st of March and late after the 15th we anticipated a communication from the new loan servicing company "Green Tree" prior to the 1st. We did not, in fact we did not receive any communication until the 14th which left us less than 24 hours to make the payment before our credit was affected by a late payment. To add insult to injury, we went to the "Green Tree" web site hoping to make a payment, and we were surprised we had to pay an additional 12.00 to do so. With no other alternative, and feeling exploited under the circumstances we paid using the service and sent a EM requesting the 12.00 fee be waived. We have not heard back, but did notice the amount debited from our checking account. (makes me wonder how many others were duped into paying this fee) Today is March 18th and we just received a statement from "Green Tree" dated Feb 28th and demanding payment by March 1st, kinda late don't you think? Based upon other complaints seen and our own first impression, there has to be some truth to these complaints and hope everyone will follow suit and file complaints with the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) the local State Attorney Generals Office, and your local Congressman. These corrupt ### have to be put in their place, and an end has to come from this kind of profiteering at the expense of the consumer.

Comments

• De
      Mar 22, 2011

THIS ALSO JUST HAPPENED TO US, BUT WE HAVE UNTIL THE 16TH, LATE ON THE 17TH), We had a second with Bank of America that originated with Country Wide. In the first week of Feb 2011 we were advised that "Green Tree" would be servicing the account, but Bank of America would still own it? Since our payment was due on the 1st of March and late after the 15th (ours would be late after the 16th) we anticipated a communication from the new loan servicing company "Green Tree" prior to the 1st. We did not, in fact we did not receive any communication until the 14th which left us less than 24 hours to make the payment before our credit was affected by a late payment. (We never received any communication from Green Tree prior) To add insult to injury, we went to the "Green Tree" web site hoping to make a payment, and we were surprised we had to pay an additional 12.00 to do so. With no other alternative, and feeling exploited under the circumstances we paid using the service and sent a EM requesting the 12.00 fee be waived. ( WHAT IS "EM:?, WE ALSO HAD TO PAY THE 12.00 FEE) We have not heard back, but did notice the amount debited from our checking account. (makes me wonder how many others were duped into paying this fee) Today is March 18th and we just received a statement from "Green Tree" dated Feb 28th and demanding payment by March 1st, kinda late don't you think? Based upon other complaints seen and our own first impression, there has to be some truth to these complaints and hope everyone will follow suit and file complaints with the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) (WE ALSO NEED TO DO THIS) the local State Attorney Generals Office, and your local Congressman. (AND ALL OF THIS)These corrupt ### have to be put in their place, and an end has to come from this kind of profiteering at the expense of the consumer. (WE JUST RECEIVED OUR FIRST STATEMENT 03/21/2011 DATED 03/12/2011, IT STATES THAT GREEN TREE OR YOUR PRIOR SERVICER INCURRED AND PAID FOR EXPENSES FOR 30.00 THAT WE HAVE NOT YET PAID FOR, WE CALLED AND QUESTIONS THIS 30.00 AND THEY COULD NOT TELL US WHAT IT IS FOR, WE THEN PRINTED THE INFORMATION OFF GREEN TREES WEB PAGE SHOWING WE MADE MARCH PAYMENT ON THE 16TH, PLUS THE 12.00 FEE TO PAY ON-LINE THERE WERE NO LATE CHANGES OR ANY OTHER UNKOWN CHARGES, WITH THE NEXT PAYMENT SHOWING DUE ON 04/01. I HOPE THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE ON GOING---EXTRA FEE SHOWING UP---- THEY SAID I WOULD NEED TO "WRITE A LETTER" TO DISPUT THE 30.00 UNKNOWN CHARGE.

• Mo
      Jan 30, 2012

I had the same transfer of a second mortgage from Country-Wide to BOA to Green Tree. I am in Minnesota. I absolutely agree with the bullying/harrassment per the phone calls. I have always taped my conversations and voice mails they have left me. They continue to call day after day even though I have spoke with someone and set up payments. Two of the girls that call me, Dawn and Kristen, must have some serious personal issues against me. Not that I care. Dawn had obtained my work number from linked in and my maiden name from facebook. She called my work on an extra line that is a different number than the main number and even called my parents house which is illegal as my parents are not on my mortgage. So that's 2 strikes. The third strike came on Friday Jan. 27, 2012 when Kristen called my work and at the same time she was calling my cell and leaving a message. So now I have no choice but to get a lawyer and sue both personally and sue Green Tree. I did not even work at my current job when I got my 1st and 2nd mortgage, so Dawn obtained my info per the internet. When I did my application on the Green Tree website, I did not list the company I worked for or a phone number. Only my cell. I told Dawn the first time she called my work to never call my work and make sure no other person there does. They claim they type all info per the calls into my account, but not true. So after Kristen called my work on Jan.27th 2012, I told her I could not talk and she said " we are open until 7 p.m." I said, sorry I have to go to my other job and I will call on Monday the 30th. She leaves me a message on the 28th and tells me I said I would call her back on the 27th and it is unacceptable that I did not and that I needed to get on the phone right now and call her back. What a bunch of lies. So I left her message on her voice mail and told her that I said I would call back on the 30th. And that I record all conversations and this voicemail and all dates this company has called my cell and all recorded conversations are being sent to my attorney and the attorney general. I also said that she should speak to people the way she wants to be spoken to, so I am just giving back what she gave to me. I let her know that I have rights also and harassment and bullying laws don't only apply to work and schools. I have had it with these people, they are so desperate and pathetic. I do need to include that I have talked to 2 people there that were very nice and not opinionated, nor did they speak to me in a demeaning manner.

• Bs
      Jun 12, 2012

Where can I find these decent human beings that work at green tree? I've been hung up on several times just for asking a question after trying to speak to a supervisor, and I'm not even the rude one in the conversation. I too was a BOA customer and was sold to these jerks, and that's being kind. They pulled the same crappy paper work with me, plus a double payment that will show I'm always a month behind. They truly can run up your blood pressure.

• Wi
      Sep 06, 2012

Found out send them a RESPA 6 letter Hope This Helps People.
    Sample Lender Complaint Letter

Mortgage and Lender Complaints: Federal and State Regulatory Agencies

lender complaints letter respa

Should you have a grievance with your lender, you may use this sample lender complaint letter to help you present the lender with a "qualified written request" under Section 6 of the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA). This law requires that lenders acknowledge the complaint within 20 business days and resolve the complaint within 60 business days by correcting the account or giving a statement of the reasons for its position.

Attention Customer Service:

Subject: [Your loan number]
    [Names on loan documents]
    [Property and/or mailing address]

This is a "qualified written request" under Section 6 of the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA).

I am writing because:
    ■Describe the issue or the question you have and/or what action you believe the lender should take.
    ■Attach copies of any related written materials.
    ■Describe any conversations with customer service regarding the issue and to whom you spoke.
    ■Describe any previous steps you have taken or attempts to resolve the issue.
    ■List a day time telephone number in case a customer service representative wishes to contact you.

I understand that under Section 6 of RESPA you are required to acknowledge my request within 20 business days and must try to resolve the issue within 60 business days.

Sincerely,

[Your name]

This letter SHOULD NOT be included with your mortgage payment, but should be sent separately to the customer service address. You SHOULD continue to make the required mortgage and escrow payment until the request is resolved. You may bring a private right of action under Section 6, if you suffer damages due to the lender's servicing of the loan.
    I started having problems with green tree servicing after I made 2 lump sums to where my house was almost paid off and only had a balance of less than $1400. It started where I couldnt get them to reallocate my payment to my acct, TOOK 3 weeks (if they even posted it) I don't know because I am not able to see my balance online anymore because they turned me into collection and that part isn't visible anymore. I finally got my payoff amount from a customer service rep and sent it certified mail so they could not say they did not recieve it. They recieved it 9/3/2012, cashed it 9/4/2012 and I still have this jerk eric calling me saying I didn't pay it, I said yes I did, says oh yeah but you only paid and gives me a lower amount then the check I wrote. I told him you know i sent it Certified mail and I have copy of the canceled check and it was for the payoff amount that was quoted me. Blah, blah, blah. Anyways he is harrassing me even though I have made every mortgage payment on time and argues with me that I don't have grace period from the first of month, which I do. So I have been doing research and calling my senator and attorney general filing complaints because know I can't see my acct on line these snakes may be telling me it's taking care of and filing foreclosure papers on my property even though it's paid in full.

Dec 26, 2012

December 26, 2012. I just had my neighbor come to my door. Apparently Green Tree is bound to involve anybody they can in squeezing money out of me. Not content with calling me 4 times a day, from eight in the morning til eight at night, they are now attempting to embarrass me in front of my neighbors.

May 09, 2014

I HAD a 2nd with Green Tree, they have been nothing but harassers and CROOKS.
    On 5/7/14 I closed a refinance loan with Wells Fargo to be rid of this company. If you know how escrow closing works, you know the balance due is calculated to the last day and funds transferred (electronically, not by sending a check in the mail) to the lender. NORMALLY the lender applies the funds ASAP, NOT Green Tree. I checked today 5/9/14 to make sure the loan was closed and an auto payment would not come out on the 12th. (Unfortunately I was too late in a stop payment) Guess what... When I talked to a "customer service" rep, they said, they have not received the funds... ###. What they are trying to do, is take their time in applying the funds so they can charge me extra interest and not get the loan closed out; because there will be money due. I have bought and sold and refinanced many homes through the years and have never encounter such a bunch of crooks. My advice to anyone with a loan or whatever from them is to GET OUT, ASAP. I did not choose Green Tree, BOA screwed me by sending my loan to them. And if you think they are there to handle dead beats, doesn't matter; my score is in the high 800's.