Green Motionunethical car hire company

Almost every Green Motion complaint on this website and on the many, many travel feedback sites, has to do with customers being accused of damage they know they didn't cause, and consequently having money deducted from their credit card - often before close of business on the same day.

From my experience and all the complaints I have read online, this seems to be Green Motion's general modus operandi:
You hire a car from Green Motion, they use fear tactics about the cost of damage to persuade you to take out additional insurance (my amount was £419); they also increase the fee they hold on your credit card (you have no idea what that fee is until they tell you after processing your hire agreement; you have no argument). Upon returning the car they invariably advise that you have caused damage. No amount of arguing will resolve this, but make no mistake - the full holding amount on your credit card will be withdrawn the very same day, regardless of the size of damage (my amount was £800 and I have seen complaints of much higher amounts). It appears that the majority of customers that fall victim to this unethical behaviour are overseas travellers, i.e. the return of the vehicle normally coincides with your return flight home - no time to stand and argue, and it's difficult to fight from your home country. I would go as far as to say that they bank on it.

The lesson I have learned? I will do a quick Google search on the car rental company - and it definitely won't be Green Motion ever again. Do a google search for Green Motion Complaints, or just Green Motion Comments - you will be shocked at the amount of complaints over a broad spectrum of websites - and as mentioned, most of the complaints are very similar in nature, i.e. you are accused of damaging the vehicle.

I believe the online third party companies are above board for the most part; in fact the company I used (Holidaycars.com) went above and beyond to resolve the issue from their side, without me asking them to. They offered and they delivered.

Green Motion have no intention of resolving my issue as they have told me so. In fact, I find it comical that under the comments with RESOLVED tags on this site, it is standard copy and paste from them, including the spelling mistake: "Customer care service did everything in their power to resolve this complaint. All attempts to contact the complainant have failed. Therefore, this complaint has been annulled and must not be considered where image of the company in question and it's services are concerned."

QUESTIONS:
Why are almost all Green Motion's vehicles scratched and dented?
Why are they hiring vehicles out in this condition?
How many times do you think the same prior damage is being charged to unsuspecting customers?

The ANSWER is in their own words in writing to me:
"All of our vehicles are with us for a period of 6 months before they are returned to the manufacturer. ON return they must be presented in the showroom condition to which they arrived to us in. Therefore to prevent loss of use charges for a customer a location may decide to repair the vehicle at end of life just before its return to the manufacturer."

So there you have it. When you are told you have caused damaged and you know you haven't, there is a good possibility that you are a repeat payer of previous damage. Nice, profitable business for Green Motion - if that is what they are doing.

After my drama with Green Motion, I returned my rental early, prepared to take the loss of only having the vehicle for six of the 15 day hire, and went to Avis. Avis' vehicles are in pristine condition and the credit card holding fee seems to be a standard £200. No talk of additional insurance, no trick accusations of damage... It made me realise how truly unethical the behaviour from Green Motion appears to be.

Two very important newspaper articles that are well worth the read, that make you wish you had done your homework before renting from Green Motion:

Good luck to anyone who hires from Green Motion, you have been warned by many, many dissatisfied customers.

Ji
Feb 11, 2019

Comments

• Sr
      May 31, 2019

I have same experience with this car rental Company. For a small scratch on plastic Wheel trim they have charged me GBP 109/- I have a Photograph taken before and after. I could not see the scratch on the photo taken after. But the agent was saying it was there. He charged me GBP 109/- for a scratch. Very un-ethical Company.