Green Dot Prepaid Visa / green dot

MD, United States Review updated:

I made the mistake of activating the card using the name of an acquaintance who skipped town. The day after I bought the card I attempted to contact Green Dot. I sent about 15 emails over a ten-day period. Green Dot responded to none of them. They kept giving me the same customer support number that would not let me advance past the zip code challenge. Finally, after sending dozens of emails and attempting ten or more calls I reach someone. She initially tells me that Green Dot would be willing to let me send them proof of my identity. I thank her for the opportunity to do this. Five minutes later she has changed her mind and tells me that Green Dot refuses to allow me to change the name of the card to mine.

The bottom line is I have been stolen from. The receipt that I am holding on to is being nullified. I have never felt quite as cheated as Green Dot has made me.

Please avoid Green Dot Pre-paid Visa like the plague that it is.

Comments

• Sc
      Jan 05, 2012

Because he is developmentally challenged.

• Gr
      Jan 05, 2012

We apologize for your experience. We are not able to change account information once a card has been registered. The Green Dot Personalized Card is a prepaid Visa or debit MasterCard Card that you can use anywhere debit MasterCard or Visa debit cards are accepted worldwide. It's a prepaid debit card and unlike gift cards, when registered, Green Dot prepaid cards are personalized with your name, allow you to make ATM withdrawals in addition to making purchases, and can be reloaded with money. Due to these features, Federal law requires us to obtain, verify and record your name, address, date of birth, and Social Security number when you register a Green Dot Card. The information that was entered when the card was registered is the information for the cardholder and they will be responsible for maintaining the account.