Green Dot / can't use card

1 Aberdeen, MD, United States Review updated:

Has Anyone had this problem with a green dot card? I bought a card and tried to use it at a redbox kiosk. The reader will not read the card. I looked at the back and where there is normally a black strip on a credit or debit card is a gold strip. It can't be used at any card reader when making a purchase. I called customer suuport and of course got India. Needless to say, it's hard to get them to understand normal english. After explaining all this to them, they said I damaged my card. I said no, it was this way when I got it. After arguing/explaining for quite awhile, they said they would send me a new card. The new card is exactly the same. No black strip. I was going to try email to explain the problem but they just referred me back to the 1-800 number. Anyone heard of anything like this before?

Vi

Comments

• We
      13th of Feb, 2010

maybe you don't know what the procedures are, my green-dot card is used anywhere, use it as a debit card, when you sign up for the card, you can choose your pin code by phone or online, also you have to buy green dot money-pak and enter the activation code on your green-dot account online, very simple.

Best Regards, Greg

• Ka
      6th of Mar, 2010

You can use it anywhere that greendot allows just because the strip is gold does not mean it will not work I use mine on a bluebox movie rental place got my tax refund and went to get a reloader for it and NO PROBLEMS, the only con is no email address for the company !

• Ev
      20th of Apr, 2010

I read somewhere the you have to wait until the permanent one shows up in the mail to be able to use it at Redbox, ATM's, etc. I too tried to use the one I bought at the store in the Redbox, and the card was declined. I just got my permanent one with my name on it (and billing zip attached, which I think is what you need) so I'm gonna try again next time I go by the Redbox.

• Ga
      30th of Nov, 2010

mine is a bigger story then this first i bought one from walgreen. it was a substatute card. i tryed to use it but couldn't so i called to get it activated it worked. then i tryed to register to get my money on the card no good. so i kept writing to greendot and got nothing.. i waited for my real card when it came i tryed to register it but my card number was no good. so i couldn' even sign in to get in touch with them. some how i finley go in touch with then through e-mail well guess what i end up getting a nother card. soooo it didn't work also. now i am stuck with 2 cards an no account im trying to grt them to take back both cards an give my 20.00 dollors so i guess i've gotten riped off also.. people don't get suckered in read all complaints. thank ya all alice

• Ka
      27th of Dec, 2010

The cards could be faulty and there website requires you to put in your SSN so that could be also, plus if you type the infomation in too fast it will not work ether I am not sure why but this happen on other websites with me ...

• Br
      1st of Oct, 2016

I have been using my Greendot at the local Post Office to purchase money orders for my rent for the past 6 months with no problem. This month I went and my card was declined. I assumed it was too close to when my direct deposit went in, so I waited to try again the following day, same results. When I contacted the CS for Greendot, they said I couldn't use it for that, and would need to go to Wal-Mart and buy a MoneyGram from them. I explained that I have been using it right along, and they told me there must be a problem with my card. After several minutes of arguing they put on a "supervisor" who continued the argument, explaining that I never should have been able to use it for that purpose? I got really heated and told him that I don't support W-mart and will not under any circumstance even walk into a store, let alone make a purchase of anything. All he could say was "Sorry, that's what you have to do". No other option, no explanation as to why it won't work now when it did before, notta. Nobody ever contacted me to say I was using it wrong, nor does my contract say I have to go to W-mart for anything. Now instead of walking 5 minutes to the post office, I'm supposed to get a ride 10 miles to the w-mart to pay my rent? Ridiculous I say. This is a Visa card that is accepted everywhere a regular Visa is accepted, except the post office for a money order. The CS department sucks, I had talked to at least 5 different people over 2 days, not one spoke fluent English or could explain why the sudden change to my card. I asked them to look into why and have a tech contact me, they wouldn't. I asked for a manager to call me, they didn't. I will lose this card as soon as I'm back on my feet as it no longer suits the purpose I had purchased it for . . Greendot sucks!

• Me
      11th of Jun, 2018

can I use my greendot card visa one day before automatic deposit posts as a credit?