Green Culture / Misleading and deceptive practices!

Green Culture on the Internet: Green Culture appears to have a niche site on the Internet. Being concerned about the environment, I was surprised to find Green Culture prominently displayed with a Web page, lovely pictures, and grand claims that I could buy a dining room set that would be custom made, come from woods that had been harvested in an ecologically sound manner and the price was great. After receiving the set, it was clear that it had not been custom made at all. We had a problem with Green Culture when the bolts that had been sent along with the furniture were the wrong size and therefore split the frame. After 3 weeks we were still caught up in the miscommunication between Green Culture and the manufacturer of the furniture. Whereby we eventually learned that the company that made the furniture was Palliser in Canada. It is not only not a custom furniture maker but the largest maker of furniture in Canada. It's products are sold in stores throughout the United States. There is nothing Green friendly about it and I probably paid more than I would have if I had bought it directly from a store. The people at Green Culture have not seen these products and Green Culture has no retail space. The problem of getting the damaged part replaced was ridiculous as the person at Green Culture had no conception of how the piece was constructed. She admitted to Palliser (and I have the e-mails that went back and forth) that she didn't understand how it was put together, therefore she relied on Palliser's ability to decipher the pictures we sent to Green Culture of the damage and the written explanation we provided. Palliser finally e-mailed and called me themselves (which enlightened me to the fact that the table and 4 chairs were made by Palliser) Green Culture's description of the furniture and their representation of themselves is misleading and deceptive. Further, I found another letter on the web that had had the same problems and felt he too, had not received what he had been promised on the website. So, caveat emptor.

Comments

• St
      6th of Nov, 2008

I second your complaint. How I wish I had read this before buying. The "sustainable harvest" Jumping Jack Loft Bed was made in China. There was no fine craftmanship visible anywhere. The installers did a miserable job, going so far as putting the drawer handles on the inside of the drawers. I am convinced I could have bought a similar quality bed for half the price.

• Mi
      19th of Feb, 2009

I agree one hundred percent with your complaint about Green Culture company. This company is not trustworthy at all. They are running a Black Piracy under a deceiving name of Green culture.
    They are not green. The same exact furniture can be found at other funiture stores for much less money.
    Their business practice is created to fool the consumer.
    There are no pages (as of feb 2009) to show their policies on on their greenculture.com website, just use google to search their site. However, if you try to cancel an order, they slam you with a maximum of either 35% or "lost profits". They later tell you that you can only cancel within 12hours of the purchase.

Do not buy furniture from them, unless you want to be here typing up your own unanswered complaint.

Michael T.

20th of Jul, 2009
    Green Culture - Deceptive Business Practices
    GREENCulture, Inc
    California

Read the fine print before you do business with GREENCulture, Inc.

This company is an online seller of furniture and household goods marketed to the environmentally conscious consumer. Their mission statement has the following sentence: "We will never further our goals of making these products widely used in the mainstream by offering products which are not aesthetically appealing or well priced." Note that "well priced" in this context is a euphemism for competitively priced.

In May 2009 I purchased what appeared to be a unique light fixture from GREENCulture - a Shoji Light Bar - priced at $589, a 30% mark down. (As a frequent web shopper, I searched for competitive online pricing, but could find none.) The light arrived quickly from a company called Cherry Tree Designs with a packing slip for a Horizon Bath Bar.

With the correct product name I was able to price compare and, much to my dismay, found the same light on sale for as low as $180. The manufacturer's retail store priced the light at $250.

Note: GREENculture does not allow returns of any type.

Over the course of the next month I requested a partial refund numerous times. I explained to both GREENCulture customer service and the company President that although I was happy to pay a fair retail markup, I felt their price was excessive and their marketing practices deceptive. I also contacted the product manufacturer with my story. She too was upset and contacted GREENCulture. A recent search reveals that GREENCulture has now dropped the price on this item to $525.

Here are a couple excerpts from my communications with GREENCulture:

Customer Service: "As for your pricing inquiry, I already brought to your attention that there are several factors as to why our price may be higher than any other website's price - for example, you will not be able to find one and the same car at the same (low) price with any two retailers in the country. Each retailer has its reasons as to why it came to that very specific retail price it is selling the merchandise for - so in this very case, too. I understand that you are upset, but unfortunately, we do not price match. I understand that online retail has a certain "aura" to it, which lets the majority of people conclude that there are no or very little costs for an online retailer. Unfortunately, this is not the case - we incur many costs in order to get our products on the net, get the proper exposure for them, do marketing, and also keep the staff that we have in these hard times."

Company President: "Our higher prices and service are the reason why our company is still operating now when others are going bankrupt. As a consumer, I completely understand that you are not happy because you feel you overpaid because other websites are selling similar items for a lower cost...We are a great company trying to do great things for the planet as you can see by our watersavers.com and composters.com websites. Your purchases help us to stay in business and keep the green movement moving forward. We appreciate your help and support and please know that your support of our organization will help us to continue our work in the green movement."

Here's my interpretation of GREENCulture's position:

1. We do not value you as a potential repeat customer; nor do we value our reputation enough to negotiate a fair settlement to your complaint.
    2. We charge excessively high prices and use deceptive merchandising practices to subsidize the part of our organization that does not charge revenue.
    3. You're not compassionate toward businesses.
    4. You're naive about Internet shopping.

These are the facts of my transaction with GREENCulture.

Does GREENculture live up to their mission? No. Are they taking advantage of our natural desire to protect the Earth to make a buck? Yes. Do they liken themselves to car salesmen? Yes.

You decide. Do you really want to do business with GREENCulture?

• Br
      9th of Jun, 2010
    Green Culture - They have a no cancellations policy
    Green Culture
    greenculture.com

On Jan. 2, 2010 I ordered a wall sconce from Green Culture . They promised it in 5-7 business days. When it didn't arrive, I emailed them. They kept promising it to me "2 weeks from now" only it never came. Finally, during an email correspondence with a customer service representative on March 4, 2010 I said, "Just forget it.

I don't want the light anymore. Cancel my order and credit my card." No response, so I assumed it was taken care of. On April 3, 2010, the light arrived. I already had purchased & installed another but I took a look at theirs anyway. It was damaged!! Big bubbles in the glass! I contacted them to ask where to return it & they didn't return my emails (several of them!). Then, finally, they wrote back & said, "we didn't cancel the order bc we have a no cancellations policy!" (yes, the exclamation point was theirs - I didn't add it).

Long story short, I have a blemished light, I'm out $200 and Green Culture won't call/write me back!! They old, out of stock items so what you get is what you get! And the manufacturers do not back them up at all! They are horrible!!

Green Culture - Online Order
    Green Culture
    32 Rancho Circle
    Lake Forrest
    California
    Phone: 8772047336
    greenculture.com

Green Culture is a SCAM and full of pure FRAUDSTERS. I have heard of several who purchased products from their website and were charged but did not receive the items. Many phone calls went unanswered. The customer service people are not helpful and gave them the run around.

29th of Jun, 2010

We have had a similar experience. Avoid at all cost.

29th of Jun, 2010

We agree with the above complaint

• De
      13th of Aug, 2010

I had a similar experience, bad business people, scamsters, fraudsters

• De
      13th of Aug, 2010

Green Culture is a SCAM and full of pure FRAUDSTERS says it all. Avoid at all cost or you will wish you did

• Sb
      30th of Oct, 2011
    Green Culture - Online Order
    S Bishop

BUYER BEWARE - Shady business practices to earn Green - research net for many other complaints. I placed an online order with GC on Oct 8th or 9th. I never received an order confirmation or any other communication. Later in week I contacted them to see if order processed. When nothing heard and I had time I shopped elsewhere. On Oct 25th I found a pending credit card charge from GC and sent them an email to explain the issue and ask the order be cancelled. Response from company: "We have already processed your order and we have a no cancelation policy. Please read our policies to see that this is something you agreed to when ordering. If you choose to contact your credit card company we will show them what you agreed to and we will win."