GreatCall, Inc. - Jitterbug / Service

ME, United States Review updated:
4.65
Phone: (720) 531-8800
I purchased this phone over three months ago and have spent more time talking to the worthless Customer Service Department since the the billing has been incorrect month after month. The reps keep giving me a different excuse. The service coverage is terrible! My phone works down the street but does not work at my house. I thought the phone would be great for my mother -- but the company seems to be more of a scam then anything else. My vote: go with ANYONE ELSE.
Im

Comments

17th of Dec, 2007
I would file a complaint with the FTC if I were you...

Go here: https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01
An
  10th of Feb, 2008
I received a 17 page bill from Jitterbug and do not believe that all the charges are legitimate. I've read somewhere that Jitterbig "cut and paste" phone call entries and padd the bill. I don't know what to do with this 17 page bill. That I believe to be fraudlent. How can I prove that the calls are not mine? I make about 3 or 4 calls a day, but definitely do not amass 17 pages of bill for a few months usage. If anyone out there has had a similar problem, I'd love to hear from you at my email address. Thank you.
  16th of Feb, 2008
If I were you I would notify your state's Attorney General about this and any other consumer watchdog groups in your area. Cancel your service and go with another carrier.
Le
  27th of Feb, 2008
Yes, I also have had problems with Greatcall. They keep charging bills to my credit card that I think are way too high. They won't send me an itemized bill although I have requested it several times. I will probably cancel soon, but I hate to waste the $175 I spent on the phone.
Sa
  24th of Mar, 2008
Good luck trying to cancel your account. I have called their customer service line to cancel, and they say they will call back. They don't. I have sent emails to their Customer Service email address. I even had my credit card company block the billing. They just keep sending bills.
  28th of Nov, 2008
I was looking at this phone and service for myparents. After reading the complaints, it sounds like the usual "let's see how much money we can make before word gets out that we are a worthless service." Thank you for taking the time to submit these complaints. And as a side note, it is very hard to find an agency which will make cell phone service providers accountable. (Hard-wired service providers are made accountable by the Public Service Commission but not cellular services.) Did I forget to say, "I will not be getting the Jitterbug phone or service and will let all my friends with older parents know what I have read." Thanks again.
Ji
  5th of Apr, 2009
This phone was purchased as an X-Mas present for my 87 year old mom. I totally agree with everything "I am Mad" stated in his complaint dated 1 year ago. I see they are still in business and have not changed one bit! The phone calls were constantly dropped, numerouse calls to worthless, ignorant and illiterate customer service reps and so called supervisors was wasted time. The last so called Supervisor gave me an RA# to return the unit for a refund. The company now not only has the phone and refuses to give the refund stating the phone is damaged ??????? they continue to bill for service NEVER used.

What good does it do to report complaints to the FTC BBB and everyother three letter name you can up with, when they have had complaints files for numerous years and still allow this company to rip off our senior citizens and those trying to make thier lives a little safer.

If anyone reads this and still decides to purchase a Jitterbug phone, please send me your money so I can be re-inbursed, then I will get my phone back from the company and send it to you, then I will be happy and your fun days will just begin...
Rp
  11th of Dec, 2009
I got a jitterbug phone. Use about 100 minutes per year. Prepaid. Get monthly statements that say $00.00. The coverages had been spotty. Sometimes worked when other cell phones didn't and vise versa. The initial bill gets a bit pricey because all the taxes and federal charges. However it's dirt cheap for those of us who don't need or want to be tethered to a phone.

They upgraded to a new service provider and the coverage is much better than before. They also have come up with a new pricing plan which is starting to look more like a standard cell phone plan. I think that if you use more than 100 minutes per month and you don't need big buttons then look elsewhere. For what it is, it works just fine.

BTW when they update their service my phone would take the update. They sent me a new phone at no charge and did not require me to send in the old phone. The only downside was when I wanted to add another phone to my account, Jitterbug insisted that I upgrade my service plan from ten dollars per month to 30 dollars per month. I didn't buy into that.
Ea
  28th of Jun, 2010
I have found jitterbug's customer service to be excellent. Since they switched to Verizon their coverage is excellent. There were times that I could connect using my jitterbug phone but could not connect using my AT&T phone.

Evidently they have improved their services in recent times.

As far as billing goes I cannot comment, that much, since I have only been with them for one month. So far so good!

For anyone who wants a simple to operate and very well built phone then jitterbug might be for you.
Op
  14th of Sep, 2010
I am 28 years old and for the first time interested in a cell phone. I have been looking around at all the different companies and find the prices to be quite high. Especially since I don't even know how to use half of the functions. I'm sure I could learn them if I wanted, however I am just an old fashioned girl and could care less about the new technology. I suppose if you are a business person, you would need all of the services provided in the new technology. However, I am just looking for something affordable in this day and age to fit my needs. I have had a prepaid phone for the last three months and found myself spending around $50 a month on it. I even tried to not use it too often but even if you get one call in a day, you are charged $1 a day plus .10 cents a minute. I believe Jitterbug minutes roll over which is great.

If you only need 1000 minutes or less, and don't need much more than talk and text, this seems to be an excellent choice. I guess it goes back to "you get what you pay for" and why pay for a bunch of services that are pointless to your needs. It seems as though it is geared mainly towards elderly which I believe is a wonderful thing for them, however I am attracted to it as well due to the simplicity of it. They are adding a lot of other services to the plan if you choose to add them, but it is up to you. They are only things to help the elderly out which I think is a wonderful thing. Maybe it will help organize their lives. This world is becoming too fast paced and stressful for me. Sit back and enjoy life a little.