Great Vacations Club / Mayan Group / Scam and fraud!

1 Mexico Review updated:

I just got back from a Mexican trip at the Grand Mayan Riviera Maya. My wife and I decided to go on an information breakfast on our first morning. It ended up being a timeshare presentation. We said it would take 90 minutes. Four hours later we ended up buying a Great Vacations Club Gold Membership. Our salesman, or should I say our 4th salesman, pretending to be a quality control personal duped us. We ended up buying a Gold Membership for $3,700.00 US Dollars. To quote or salesman, Michel Nesme, "This membership is just a slice of our very best program" Hook, Line, and Sinker! We were promised 10 weeks which could be booked 365 day in advanced with no black out dates for $349 per week, 10 weeks for $199 which could be book in 30 days or less, plus incentives of a bonus week for $299, one week at grupo mayan for $199, and airfare certificate and discount cruise certificate.

When I received my program at home 3 weeks later. I attempted to do some searches. Many searches came up with nothing available. If I wanted to book a Mexican Vacation for my family, it would cost over $1400 for it if I used GVC. This is a far cry from $349. If I wanted to get back into a Mayan Grupo resort it was either not available or cost up to $1300 more than my $349 promised price. The cruise certificate I received, I later found out I could get this price on the same cruise cheaper if I booked it myself. When they say no black out dates, they should just say WE MAY HAVE SOMETHING IF YOU ARE REALLY LUCKY! I REALLY FEEL THAT I WAS TAKEN ADVANTAGED OF!

I contacting the BBB, PROFECO (the Federal Consumer Agency), and any other resource that I can find to warn others of this wrong doing.

Comments

• Jw
      27th of Apr, 2008

My wife and I had just arrived in Puerta Vallarta for our honeymoon and within the first ten minutes out of the gate we were swept up by a very savvy and seemingly genuine representative named Gerando, from The Grand Mayan. He offered us 2 for 1 tickets on 2 tours to Los Arcos and the Rhythms of Night. He claimed that all we had to do was take a 90 minute tour of the hotel just to see if we liked the place. He made it seem like it was just a hotel and this was a way to market it.

When we met Gerando the next day we were introduced to a salesman who had breakfast with us and took us on a short tour of the premises. During his presentation we found out that it was a timeshare presentation. Being new to these types of presentations, we stayed for the duration. This summed up to 5hrs of negotiations with 5 different sales people. Each time we refused to buy into their offers they slashed prices. The first offer was for a two bedroom timeshare for $42, 000. When we expressed that we weren't interested, we were handed to a different sales rep. This process kept repeating until the last and final sales rep offered us a $1499 membership which entitled us to the same privileges as regular members. As their desperation grew, they started throwing in free incentives. They offered us a free cruise and a discounted week at one of their resorts. At the time, a part of us thought that the offers might've been true, but we went with our guts and declined to buy into it.

As we were leaving Mexico, my wife saw Gerando at the airport and he snubbed her. He had done his part in the scheme and had no more use for us.

Throughout our short trip we encountered many representatives from Grupo Mayan, who we had to avoid eye contact with so as not to be pestered. Their scheme stole a whole day from our honeymoon.

• Me
      18th of May, 2008

We purchased the LEAST expensive (Sea Garden-SeaPack). We paid $7K and we get 4 weeks a year (2 weeks studio, 2 weeks flexible). We got a BOGO 7-day cruise & 2 yrs membership w/ RCI (FYI- RCI is VERY difficult to work with as they never have the resort you want, where you want to be, when you want to be there!)

We have been to PV, Mexico 3 times. It has been very easy for me to make reservations through Mayan for the times that we (& our friends) have wanted to go. The staff are friendly and the reservation/cancellation process is VERY easy! The Sea Garden is not as fancy as the Grand Mayan, but it is still nice, friendly staff, clean and near the beach (which is what you should look for in any Mexican resort).

Every time that we have been to Mexico (as resort owners & not) we have been bugged on the street and the hotels to go to one of these presentations (from a VAST number of resorts!). If it is raining during your stay and you don't mind wasting 4-5 hours of your vacation for free stuff, do it. They are allowed to give you up to $400 (USD) in cash and/or gifts--GET YOUR MONEY WORTH IF YOU ARE GOING TO GO!!

If you don't have 4-5 hours and/or don't want to buy a timeshare, I would advise to stay clear of all of the "salesmen" on the street that ask "where are you are from?". (Take a tip from me: no matter which hotel/resort/timeshare presentation you attend, it is ALWAYS 4-5 hours; IT IS NEVER 90 Minutes!!)

• Mi
      9th of Jun, 2008

I visited Puerto Vallarta with three of my girlfriends the first week of June. A tequilla store owner approached us about visiting "his resort", The Grand Mayan, for free breakfast and a 90 minute presentation during our stay. I specifically asked if it was a timeshare type presentation, and he assured me that it was not. So one of my friends and myself agreed to go. We were promised 6 bottles of flavored tequilla for our showing up. He asked for a $20 deposit that would be refunded upon our attendance. I paid the $20 (US) cash. He also said that HE himself would pick us up in a taxi and not to ride with anyone else. First of all we were picked up by a female associate of his. The only reason we got in the taxi is that she had the carbon copy to our "invite". We were told that the store owner "Rudy or Rueben" was at the hotel waiting for us with our tequilla. When we arrived, he was not there, so we refused to go in until we spoke with him and I got my $20 deposit back as promised. He soon arrived and tried to give me 200 pesos. I refused it and demanded $20 US dollars. He went back to his car and conveniently brought me $20 cash. We eyed our tequilla and was told following the presentation we could retrieve it from the travel agency withtin the hotel. Our salesman was a really friendly nice looking Hungarian guy named Scaba. He went through a zillion questions and then we went for breakfast. At the end of our meal he said that his company covers the meal cost but we needed to leave a $5 tip. Since we were leaving the following day, we had NO pesos, so sorry Scaba you will need to leave a tip!!! We then toured a furnished unit and the grounds. The facility is fabulous and seemed to have everything one would desire in a resort. We then entered a large room with windows all around and a bunch of tables. This is where the fun began...he made a presentation that started out at $149, 900.00. The deposit was a mere $56, 00.00. Yea right, we carry that kind of cash or could write a check for that amount on a whim. As we refused, they slashed the offers further and further. When the third or fourth sales person came over, the offer was actually a pretty good one, however, we were not there to buy a timeshare. I was not even impressed with Puerto Vallarta. I much rather spend my US $$$ in the Carribbean. The people there are much more gracious and strive to make your visit a memorable one. They know that their economy depends upon tourist dollars!!! When we finally got our point across that a deal was not happening, we were told another person would "sign" us out. Another sales person comes over with an even cheaper deal, aTrial Package. It sounded good but by this time we just wanted OUT!! Finally, we signed a paper forfeiting any First Visit Incentives and were lead outside. The man outside said he worked for Mr. Chavez himself and that he could offer us a one year membership for $1, 499.00. Which included 2 weeks, some burnout weeks and there were no black out dates...blah, blah, blah. I then said that I felt as though I was being harrassed and wanted to speak to a Sector representative. The Mexican version of the US's BBB!! I was so angry at this point that if they had offered me a FREE week, I would of told him to put it where the sun don't shine! He then showed us the way out...it was a five minute walk. I didn't see anyone bending over backwards to take us back up front in a golf cart or anything. Our oringinal salesman, Scaba, snubbed us after that. We did get our 6 bottles of flavored tequilla upon leaving the resort as promised. We signed in at 9:26 a.m. and got in the taxi to leave at 1:00 p.m. I was truly impressed with the property as well as the offers we were made and decided to research it when I got home. To my dismay, I have found numerous dissatisfied customers and the whole thing really seems to be a SCAM! People have purchased packages and are unable to get the dates they want. Some are unable to get any accomodations until 2010!! I'm so glad I stuck to my guns and declined to purchase.

19th of Jul, 2008

I have also been scammed. the
    mayan group is very difficult to deal with. I never get my questions answered and i can never get the dates i want. Then they check the computer and find one for 2-3 times the price. I am very unhappy with the mayan group. they have the worst business practices I have seen so far.

22nd of Aug, 2008

Anyboby could explain me how I can give up from a timeshare program bought 2 weeks ago in México?
    Thanks in advance

25th of Feb, 2009

mayan timeshares are the greatest scam
    i have talked with others who were ripped off by these crooks
    i still don't know how to use the weeks i have
    i get different info everytime i call
    customer service is the worst

• Be
      1st of Mar, 2009

My wife and I sat through a Grupo Mayan pitch last April in Los Cabos. It was an incredible display of poor business ethics and high pressure sales tactics. In the end, after we declined all offers they dropped us off back at the reception site and we received...nada. Nobody to be found. A complete waste of a beautiful day, but a learning experience. In subsequent conversations with others who also sat thru pitches it seems that this is the norm for this company, nobody had anything good to say. So if you see a good review be very very very suspicious as it's likely to be a paid review. It was particularly amusing to see how the sales staff adapted their country of origin to be that of the potential client. We are Canadians, and it was astounding that everybody we dealt was also from Canada!! But - oddly enough - from tiny towns in remote locations where they'd be highly unlikely to encounter somebody who was from the same town. Delisle Saskatchewan? Google that and it comes up east of Podunk. And we had an "English" rep brought in at the end as a heavy, but for some reason his accent kept changing from region to region... I wonder how that could be. For the record, there was a class lawsuit filed against Grupo Mayan in California under the the RICO (federal) statute. That's serious stuff, and speaks volumes about Grupo Mayans business practices and dissatisfied clients. Caveat emptor.

• Go
      30th of Jun, 2009

Hi Diane and Cristina,
    We would really appreciate if you give us the opportunity to contact you and clarify your issues with our firm, as the personnel for Gonzalez & Gonzalez is highly trained and supervised; and we can assure you that none of our customers have been attacked in any way.
    Looking through the files and data base of our company we do not show any record under the name of ¨Diane Jersey¨ and/or ¨Cristine ----¨, who are the people complaining and defaming against the firm.
    After 15 years of experience we knew some day this will happen, being conscious of this we back up ourselves by recording every incoming and outgoing telephone call.
    In case of the existence of a recorded conversation with you under another name, we would like to expose it to the internet community to prove the opposite of the complaints made on June 30th against Gonzalez & Gonzalez to discard the fact that the post was exposed by our competitors or from the timeshare developers full of frustration by our advocacy and success on the resolution of the cases handled at Gonzalez & Gonzalez.
    Also, Gonzalez and Gonzalez has never charged such exaggerated retainer fees, we have a long list of satisfied customers who support our firm, with identifications to validate their existence and able to show their satisfaction by the success in the resolution of their cases.
    Gonzalez & Gonzalez counts with ample evidence, to show the Internet community and guarantee that there is no existence of this type of situation in our firm.
    Respectfully,
    Jose Gonzalez

• Ge
      25th of Jul, 2013

It is the same old story with the a Mayan Palace timeshare resorts (owner David Chavez) who does not care about what fraud he perpetrates on timeshare buyers. The same old adage applies, with regard to rental fees applicable, etc. It is fraud and there is right of rescission in Mexico no matter what program you buy, no matter what the horror show salespeople tell you. Heve not met one semi-honest one representing the mayan chain yet. Yes, we got scammed and bought, never again. These are the worst operators in the business. The name of the programs, Mayan Regency, The Dream, Mayan Palace, Grand Mayan, Bliss, Grupo Luxxe change with regard to what they wish to charge. The upshot is if you are down the line in their program name game list you lose benefits. The tiger does not change its stripes. Beware. This is a good article about Mayan Palace:

• Hu
      9th of Oct, 2013

Cancelamos su Tiempo Compartido…

En 45 días hábiles en promedio y lo liberamos de TODOS los compromisos
    contraídos con su Club de Viajes por únicamente 1 Cuota de Mantenimiento

Si Ud. considera que llegó el momento de reorientar su presupuesto vacacional

¡ Llámenos ! Y retome el control de SUS vacaciones

+ info: 01 555 536-6997 * LADA sin costo: 01 800 558-8639 * www.hlmexico.com.mx * www.traveltimemx.blogspot.mx