Great expectations denver / consumer protection act violations

1 Denver, United States Review updated:
Phone: 303-321-1516

Denver office of Great Expectations. 20 BBB complaints, 9 in last 12 months. Recently settled out of court for Colorado Consumer Protection Act violations. Currently has pending lawsuits ( mine included ). Classic bait and switch practices, fraudulent advertising, less than 1000 active members, large number of elderly members, questionable background checks. The list goes on and on. I will gladly witness at any lawsuits againced this office.

Gu
Sort by: Date | DownRating

Comments

• Ge
      17th of Oct, 2009

Nice try "getalong", This is actually an employee of Great Expectations not an actual customer review. How sad is this !!

• Ar
      14th of Apr, 2009

I am in total agreeance with GUY-
    Great Expectations in Denver use unfair, deceptive business practices, false advertising, high-pressure tactics, and they flat out lie. I was asked for two forms of ID, and then asked to see my credit card. Later they said they informed me in the initial phone conversation I would possibly be asked for my credit card as a possible form of ID. No, this is not true. I was not told to bring my credit card. I was asked for my SSN, and asked if I had good credit. Once she had my SSN and saw what kind of Credit card I had, she left the room and came back happy talk to me. They checked my credit right then and there. Later when I confronted them stating I didn't give them permission to check my credit, I was told it was never checked. I pulled my credit report, and it had been...on that day. I was lied to. I asked what made them think I had any intention of making a purchase expecially when a price hadn't been presented, the rep said it was for financial purposes?? Yet they checked my credit, first thing, and offered me a membership and price last thing?? Did they not just want to see if I could afford their scam? I addressed them asking about my SSN, was told it was for background check. I was told they had to have it because they do a screening process, and that was part of it. Later I was told it was optional, (it was not), and they never asked me for my SSN card. I never said they asked me for my card, they asked me for my NUMBER. You DO NEED that to run a credit check. They are getting so petty and off track. I have my facts, they are trying to confuse me. (I have filled a complaint online with the BBB, and AG of Colorado) This company knows how to scam people. Since this I have done research on them, I wish I had before. This has put me in financial stress, not to mention the emotional and mental anguish that goes with a situation such as this. Also, you feel very vunerable and embarrased after something like this. I did. They prey on peoples emotions. I went in there with the idea of meeting people, making friends, and participating in events. I went there for one thing, and was talked into signing for the membership. Initially I responded to a sign saying "single in lakewood.com", it said meet singles in your area for free. I was contacted by a rep, christian, I was told it would be 30-45 min for an appt, and agreed to go see what it was about. I was taken into a small room with a table and two chairs me sitting against the wall, sheryl blocking the door. It ended up being 4 hrs until I signed the contract. By that time I was hungry, thirsty, and anxious just to get out of there. There was no mention of prices until the end, it was over $7500! I said I couldn't afford it and she lowered the price after leaving the room to talk to her director. I still again said I couldn't afford it and she continued to pressure me. She got up had both hands on the table and leaned toward me and said "what happened? You were excited before" that is a direct quote. I remember the intimidation and tone of her voice. It was not nice. Later the director, dee dee said she recorded everything said in that room, and in phone conversations where I attempted to cancel within 24 hrs. The rep, sheryl, told me Great Expectations is an accredited member of the BBB and the BBB former director is a success story. This was not true. They are not a member. EVERYTHING is RECORDED according to the director of the Denver Great Expectations office. I lost out on over $5000. in January 2008, and am working on getting it back. However, for me, the damage is done. Now, I am going to tell my story to anyone who will listen. Write it on here, there, everywhere. I am not ashamed. I was pressured into signing something I had no use for or even wanted, tried to cancel, and now I just need to do something about it. Hopefully reading this will help others. If a person wants to get on a dating site, go to Plenty of fish or something, it's free... I didn't know I would end up paying over $5000 for this "service" (I'm not even sure what I paid for) Whatever it is, I haven't used it, and refuse to because, I DIDN'T WANT IT. Great Expectations OWN recordings will prove they are liars and they know this. There's alot that happens in 4 hours of trying to get someone to sign something they never would under normal circumstances. I could go on and on...and will.

• Ar
      14th of Apr, 2009

Sorry everyone, it was JANUARY 2009. Yes, that's right, 3 months ago. Due to this situation I can not afford to live in my current appartment, and had to cut back on other things to pay the credit card. $5000 is alot of money to me, expecially in a time of recession and our ecomomy not doing so great. I'm a single mom trying to make ends meet. I am fairly new to Denver, didn't know anyone coming here, worked all the time, and thought this was a way to meet others with similar interests, have fun and that's what I was told to get me to go there to check it out and "see what it was about". I wish I never went there.

30th of Jul, 2009

I have had great dates and even relationships from GE. I was told what the story was from the start and they have held up their end of the deal. I know that there are other web sites with more members, however they, those on the sites seem to less accessible than those at GE. I also think the caliber of the clients at GE are higher than on a traditional dating web site.

I do not know the latest sales practices - I only know that I was treated fairly when I signed on.

15th of Mar, 2010

Nice try yourself - I don't know who YOU are but I do not work for GE nor have I ever worked for them. Your claim about me is totally false.

• We
      24th of Aug, 2010

Attorney Mark Smith has been suing Great Expectations successfully. Call him to get your money back.

2nd of Apr, 2010

I know exactly who you are, and if you don't work for GE anymore than you have quit since I was there. My claim is true and your employer ( or former employer ) is a total scam.

5th of Apr, 2010

Well it's apparent to all that you need the last word and the attention... oh, and you like pissing contests. You obviously did not read my opinion well and somehow claim to know " exactly who I am", when actually you have no clue and no way to know.

• Ra
      1st of Dec, 2012

I need the contact information for this Mark Smith!!! Please

• Pa
      2nd of Mar, 2012

I am so glad I went on line to check reviews. I was actually looking at a website for solo travelers and a link popped up for VIP ... something or other. I started to complete the form out of curiosity and then was interrupted so signed off. Next thing I know I receive a call from Great Expectations and turns out they were behind the VIP... site. Great person on the other end of the phone sucked me in and I am supposed to meet with them tomorrow. Forget it! I'm cancelling. I've never tried any dating web site but thought maybe I'm ready. No way. Rather stay single than sorry ...